Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Pi-hole: Yay or nay?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Pi-hole: Yay or nay?

Kind of surprised I haven't run across this sooner... Anyone actually use Pi-hole? It is trustworthy/reputable? Does it work?

Pi-hole
    1. Worth using?71 votes
      1. Yes
        71.83%
      2. No
          8.45%
      3. Stick with on-device blocking
        12.68%
      4. Use alternative (comment)
          7.04%

Comments

• TomTom Member

Works really nicely, I use it at home. There's also NoTrack by quidsup.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

I run it on a vps and my household is given that dns for dhcp. no issues and works great.

So far:

• some YouTube ads still come through when using their app on mobile. Of course, I've never understood why you'd do that since YT's mobile site works fine...though I'd say that for nearly all the "website as an app" sites.

• there's still one or two places where they bitch about adblockers. I haven't narrowed it down.

• if you run it on a vps, make sure you're not setting up an open resolver

• my kids have found that some of the "watch a video to get credits" in games things don't work because the ads come from pihole'd IPs.

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• JackHJackH Moderator

Just use DNSMasq

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm, Oslo, Vienna and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• ehabehab Member

@raindog308 said:

hi, can you please tell/link what to change? sorry if i am lazy just want to note it down.

thanks.

• do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
      • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year 🍆
    • @raindog308 said:
      I run it on a vps and my household is given that dns for dhcp. no issues and works great.

So far:

• some YouTube ads still come through when using their app on mobile. Of course, I've never understood why you'd do that since YT's mobile site works fine...though I'd say that for nearly all the "website as an app" sites.

• there's still one or two places where they bitch about adblockers. I haven't narrowed it down.

• my kids have found that some of the "watch a video to get credits" in games things don't work because the ads come from pihole'd IPs.

I wanna do this, but is there any good guide to make it secure. I really don't want to mess up and be part of a dns attack or something else like that. Do you just use iptables to block all other ip's expect your own?

• @raindog308 Try https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer for the sites that block the adblocker. (Yeah, rabbit hole, but it works well with Pi-hole.)

@ehab VPS setups are best done over VPN and we have a guide for that at our GitHub repo. https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/wiki/Pi-hole---OpenVPN-server

Anything else, just tag me and I'll take a look. I'm one of the developers on the Pi-hole project.

Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

ehab said: hi, can you please tell/link what to change? sorry if i am lazy just want to note it down.

dragonballz2k said: I wanna do this, but is there any good guide to make it secure.

If you have a static IP at home, just use iptables to disallow port 53 from anywhere but that IP.

If you have a dynamic IP (usually the case), you have a couple options:

1. rate limiting.

2. iptables that's periodically updated.

I do the latter, and posted my method here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2283910/#Comment_2283910

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• @raindog308 said:

Thanks. Shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, my spouse expressed some "concern" about that when I explained it to her last night. But when I saw what Pi-hole was claiming to do I think (for me) the benefits outweigh things like that (I do have VPNs that can be used for alternative DNS).

• @jackhadrill said:
      Just use DNSMasq

I already do. But Pi-hole is not exactly the same thing.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

Yes, it "works". However, since it's DNS-based, it can never block all ads. There are just some types of ads that require on-device blocking.

Thanked by 2JustAMacUser netomx
    • See... I remember seeing that thread, yet:

JustAMacUser said: Kind of surprised I haven't run across this sooner.

I guess sometimes things just don't click.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member, Provider
      edited July 2017

@raindog308 said:

So far:

Agreed - you'll have a few days of tweaking, as you'll find certain sites/applications (skype) won't work properly. After that, it's easy.

I've pretty heavily customized my DNSMasq setup, so I'm still able to use PiHole, but selectively push through certain queries to specific DNS servers. It's easy enough. I primarily do this so I can watch US Amazon Prime & Hulu, while in the UK. I've tried using it + a VPN to get around FanDuel blocks, but no luck so far. I'm impressed by whatever detection technology they're using.

If you do use a VPS, definitely make sure to lock it down with IPtables. You'll have about 30 minutes to do this, tops, before it's used for attacks.

OnApp + CDN.net
      [email protected]

• k0nslk0nsl Member, Member without signature
      edited July 2017

It is a decent solution and highly recommended unless you like to roll your own solution without the fancy UI. I personally stopped using it sometime ago in favour of my own solution which is basically just unbound dns server by NLnet Labs coupled with some tight blocklists. Since May 10 I've made more than seven million queries which is quite low due to having been away a lot from my computer because I am in the middle of a move, plus I am also helping my sister (with kids) and father to move as well.

Statistics since May 10:

I usually do over eight million queries per month on a handful of devices -- discounting mobile devices (I run stock DNS on them still). It is incredibly rare for me to see any ads anywhere :)

Speaking of Pi, though, that reminds me...I should really start putting my four RPi3's to use. They are just collecting dust at the moment, which is a bit of a shame.

Thanked by 1ehab
    • DamianDamian Member

I've used it for awhile. It's alright, it blocks quite a bit of stuff by default that's not actually ad-related (like vldcnst's ip-api.com for some reason), and I had to whitelist some domains to get my AT&T billing account to work, which was a mystery as to why it was broken until I took a look at Pihole.

I'd like the ability, in the GUI, to query root servers directly instead of forwarding to public DNS servers for queries that aren't cached, but otherwise, it seems to be good stuff.

• MalinMalin Member

Running my entire network through it and being pretty happy so far.

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
    • So I've been running my whole home network through Pi-hole installed on a local VM. Works fantastic. Like @raindog308 mentioned some videos (ads) in games don't load, which is both good ('cause they're annoying) and bad ('cause they provide in-game credits), but otherwise I'd recommend it.

(I went a little further than just Pi-hole and also installed bind to do the recursive lookups.)

• Ad blocker aside, is there any advantage over PiVPN or Shadowsocks? I don't care much about ads or privacy, access in China is my aim.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

@dergelbe said:
      Ad blocker aside, is there any advantage over PiVPN or Shadowsocks? I don't care much about ads or privacy, access in China is my aim.

Wrong thread?

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
      -Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
      Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
    • well, sounded a bit like a VPN, but seems it isn't.

• just run on ubuntu vps nat phole+dnscryptproxy+openvpn

work without problem