Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to repartition default Debian stretch for virtualization with LVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to repartition default Debian stretch for virtualization with LVM?

postcdpostcd Member

Hello,

i have installed Debian 9 Stretch on a HW Raid 10 setup and i would like to install Proxmox VE on it. I read that the LVM is needed to do on the fly snapshots of the VPS, so my question is which commands to do to repartition that way?

Total available space is around 550GB as seen here in df, fdisk fstab output:
https://pastebin.com/E0DHUhrG

My all current VPS OS templates are 12GB total, i would like to have around 30GB for templates. Largest VPS on the server would be 350GB. Backups would be stored on other server over network.

Proxmox suggests here these steps:

"Configure the Logical Volume Manager" to create a volume group called "pve" and 3 logical volumes called "swap", "root" and "data". The mount point for "root" will be "/" and for "data" select the manual option and enter "/var/lib/vz". You can format with ext4.

lvs

LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert

data pve -wi-ao---- 68.25g

root pve -wi-ao---- 29.75g

swap pve -wi-ao---- 7.00g

Please which commands to execute and which partition sizes you would do?

Thank You

Comments

• postcdpostcd Member

i can set the "Linux LVM" flag to the /dev/sda1, but in gparted /dev/sda1 shown as ext4 file system. I could delete swap partition /dev/sda5 in fdisk and create new small one in fdisk. But unsure how to reclaim free disk space and assign it to a /dev/sda1 and make sure this volume/partition is lvm/lvm2. Also how to discover which content is on the /dev/sda2 if i can afford to delete it within fdisk.