Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idle VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Idle VPS ?

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anyone has an idle VPS, and they can lend it for non-profit purpose. :)

I've a post, where there is a download option for 3 proxmox templates, lately, I've been getting a lot of downloads.

It also have one free yum respository.

1GB ram, KVM or LXC.

5TB BW.

Regards

Comments

• CNodeCNode Member

I can give you 50 GB Cloudspace for your Files :)

• You made a previous comment when you said that you have several idle servers, why not use one of those?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cyberpersons said: I wanted to ask if anyone has an idle VPS

cyberpersons said: For how much time do you need a VPS, I may be able to lend you one for free (I've some idle ones).

• cyberpersonscyberpersons Member
    edited July 2017

A few months ago I was a student, so I had a GitHub student package, and I got 6 months DO VPS, where I host these files.

Now I want a VPS where I host these files and just forget about it, I had no idea at that time that there will be that many people interested in downloading the templates.

So the point here is I just want to setup a mirror and just forget about it and don't look back. (Don't have to maintain etc).

It is still on DO vps, so guys there is no need to find my old posts. :) (The post in question can be found here).

PS. It is totally non-profit and I will also include one repository.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

If you give me the files I can mirror it for you on my online.net dedi and send you the links. I'm wary about giving someone server access though.

cyberpersons said: Now I want a VPS where I host these files and just forget about it,

Github? Public repo is free.

• PwnerPwner Member

@cyberpersons said:
    A few months ago I was a student, so I had a GitHub student package, and I got 6 months DO VPS, where I host these files.

Now I want a VPS where I host these files and just forget about it, I had no idea at that time that there will be that many people interested in downloading the templates.

So the point here is I just want to setup a mirror and just forget about it and don't look back. (Don't have to maintain etc).

It is still on DO vps, so guys there is no need to find my old posts. :) (The post in question can be found here).

PS. It is totally non-profit and I will also include one repository.

Well the problem with "just forget about it" is that you'll be using someone else's resources for hosting your files. At some point, they may have to terminate the VPS or repurpose it, so they won't be able to pay the bill for you. Either find a better long-term solution or consider buying a Kimsufi where you can just continually pay the bill and not worry about the files on the server.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • WSSWSS Member

@Pwner said:
    Either find a better long-term solution or consider buying a Kimsufi where you can just continually pay the bill and not worry about the files on the server.

I don't think I've ever heard Kimsufi hosting being wrapped up so directly and accurately before. :D

Thanked by 2Pwner Junkless

Sounds like $5/yr shared hosting could meet the need here.

• I could host it for you on my OVH box, PM me.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited July 2017

@raindog308 said:

Except shared hosting providers hate file storing/sharing on shared servers.

@TheOnlyDK said:

@raindog308 said:

Except shared hosting providers hate file storing/sharing on shared servers.

Sounded like in this case it's "templates" - not sure what those are. But if it's .zip files or a bunch of php/css/js/etc. that someone downloads, that sounds like a fine fit for shared.

But again...github is free, and since this is a "repository" the OP wants to offer to the world endlessly for free, a public repo seems natural.

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK Junkless
  • OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

@cyberpersons said:
    1GB ram, KVM or LXC.
    5TB BW.

Please mention how much space you need?

• If i understood correctly by templates you mean those windows server VM backups?
    I know nothing about windows licensing, but somhow it is suspicious to me... is distributing this images legal?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If you can PM me more information about it or a link to your site I'll consider.

• @Gamma17 said:
    If i understood correctly by templates you mean those windows server VM backups?
    I know nothing about windows licensing, but somhow it is suspicious to me... is distributing this images legal?

They are just simple virtual machine templates (Windows Server 2008/2012 evaluation). I am not sure, why would they not be illegal?

If there are any rules regarding this, let me know. I will remove them.

PS. They are 180 days evaluation templates only.

• @OBHost said:

@cyberpersons said:
    1GB ram, KVM or LXC.
    5TB BW.

Around 10GB.

• @cyberpersons said:
    They are just simple virtual machine templates (Windows Server 2008/2012 evaluation). I am not sure, why would they not be illegal?

If there are any rules regarding this, let me know. I will remove them.

PS. They are 180 days evaluation templates only.

I do not know TBH, i just remember a few cases of people having issues with similar things. The best way, IMO, is to call microsoft and ask... especially before asking someone to host them...

Also, are this images sysprepped? If not - they will have the same id and have issues with activation (even with trial 180 day key) They will also expire after said 180 days and become useles. Distributing them just because of virtio drivers seems like a strange/bad idea TBH...

• Actually the latest deal on LEB is all about free VPS. Have you tried to get one ? I know I did.

• And if you are going to host template gigs of zip template, why not using google drive / dropbox / whatever free file sharing.

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

@cyberpersons said:

@OBHost said:

@cyberpersons said:
    1GB ram, KVM or LXC.
    5TB BW.

Around 10GB.

Ok we can offer you but please share why you are not using google drive or dropbox for that?