Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best CPU for hosting Virtual Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best CPU for hosting Virtual Dedicated Servers

CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
edited July 2017 in General

Hey,

I am looking to host virtual dedicated gameservers for my clients. Because they will be used for hosting gameservers, they need to be clocked relatively high ( ~3 Ghz ). Any CPU suggestions?

Comments

• 12x0 v5/v6 or i7 6700/7700/4790

Or if you can get AMD Ryzen 1700+

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Thing is, these are going to be virtual dedicated servers. Meaning I have to dedicate said resource to that single customer. So I need something that has a lot of cores clocked relatively high and not to pricey.

• CNodeCNode Member

Intel Xeon E3 or E5 . I am an AMD Fanboy because of this i will also recommend you to look for Good AMD Opteron CPUs :)

• @CConner said:
    Thing is, these are going to be virtual dedicated servers. Meaning I have to dedicate said resource to that single customer. So I need something that has a lot of cores clocked relatively high and not to pricey.

Xeon E5 1650vX or if you wanna go even cheaper, dual X5650 (not sure of the performance though).

• DiggDigitalDiggDigital Member, Host Rep

4x Intel Xeon E7-4850v3

• JarryJarry Member
    edited July 2017

I'd say it depends on the game you want to host: there are mp-games that "run" mostly on server, and only 3d-rendering is done in clients. There are also games where server just re-distributes traffic, all the rest is done in clients, and cpu-load on server is wery low (even with many clients)...

I am planning on having these gameserver VDS's to sell along side with my own gameserver control panel, which I have worked on for the past 3 years. The control panel supports games like Minecraft, Mount & Blade, Counter-Strike, Arma etc.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@CConner said: So I need something that has a lot of cores clocked relatively high and not to pricey.

Pick 2: High clock speed, high core count, affordable

I need a CPU that is cost efficient and can make me some money. That is basically what I am asking for. If it takes 4 servers instead of 1 but is still more profitable, I'd take that option.

• Junkless said: Or if you can get AMD Ryzen 1700+

i though ryzen do not even support Virtualization at all, is not it?
    Plus a lot of problems with infinity fabric which require high clock speed ram, either the processor will works very weak.

If someone using it at their servers, can you please write your review?

edited July 2017

Let's just wait for Ryzen server CPU's. They will undoubtedly support virtualization.

• @Junkless said:
    12x0 v5/v6 or i7 6700/7700/4790

AMD Performs better for gaming?

• @cyberpersons said:

@Junkless said:
    12x0 v5/v6 or i7 6700/7700/4790

AMD Performs better for gaming?

Ryzen does.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:

@CConner said: So I need something that has a lot of cores clocked relatively high and not to pricey.

Pick 2: High clock speed, high core count, affordable

^ this.

CConner said: I need a CPU that is cost efficient and can make me some money. That is basically what I am asking for. If it takes 4 servers instead of 1 but is still more profitable, I'd take that option.

^ this.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2017

Then you had all options listed already. There is nothing else.

As with anything the higher the core count the lower the clock, this is the thermal limit and why a X5698 (2 @ 4.4Ghz) and a X5690 (6 @ 3.3Ghz) are both 130W.

And this is also why a special use case CPU as the E5-2687W v4 (12 @ 3Ghz) costs 2000EUR, double of any other 12 core in the v4 series which only go to 2.2Ghz.

• If you need less than 32GB RAM and no ECC buy something with any i7-2xxx to 4xxx (Quad core)
    • Above and ECC buy E3 v1-v4 (Quad core) or i3-2xxx+ (Dual core)

• If you need more than 32GB and no ECC buy i7-6xxx/7xxx (Quad core)

• Above and ECC buy E3 v5/v6 (Quad core)

• If you need more than 4 cores and no ECC buy socket 2011 i7 (eg. i7-3930K, 6 @ 3.2Ghz)

• Above and ECC buy E5-16xx (eg. E5-1650, 6 @ 3.2Ghz)
    • Above and ECC and dual socket buy E5-26xx (eg. E5-2667 v1-4, 8 @ ~3.2Ghz)

• If you need more than 4 cores and no ECC but cheaper than above buy 1366/first gen i7 high end (eg. i7-980X, 6 @ 3.2Ghz)

• Above and ECC buy Xeon X56xx (eg. X5675, 6 @ 3.06Ghz)

CConner said: Let's just wait for Ryzen server CPU's. They will undoubtedly support virtualization.

That Ryzen does not do VT is a myth. It does VT (AMD-V which is VT-x and VT-Vi which is VT-d in the Intel world) perfectly fine obviously, as does any other not absolute crap or rock bottom power saving CPU of the last 5+ years. Even ARM by now.

EPYC is, as E5, again lower clocked as it has - wait for it - more cores.

desperand said: Plus a lot of problems with infinity fabric which require high clock speed ram, either the processor will works very weak.

That makes no sense. Ryzen uses DDR4-2666 primarily but can go lower/higher - E5 v4 (eg. E5-2667 v4) uses DDR4-2400 and can also go lower and higher.

Thank you for your feedback, very helpful!

• micronodesmicronodes Member, Host Rep

I've had decent luck with Intel Xeon E3-1270v5 or some form of an E3 CPU as they're power effective for the most part and cost effective for servers. If I were to bring my gaming servers back, I would go back to Xeon E3 CPUs on 32gb DDR3 Nodes (maybe even DDR4 now). You want something in the end with good single thread performance.

Back when finding CPUs for Game Servers I was referenced to the following list:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

This showed good single thread CPUs rated in order with their scores and gives you a good idea.

Hope this helps.

• micronodes said: I would go back to Xeon E3 CPUs on 32gb DDR3 Nodes (maybe even DDR4 now)

V5/V6 only support DDR4 native. DDR3 on Skylake/Kaby Lake is a legacy function that should not be used at all. DDR3 unbuffered DIMMs also cost more than DDR4 ones plus as servers usually run spec clock only DDR4 wins here as well.

Might look to invest in to SuperMicro blades if I go with the E3 option, which in total seem to be cheaper than E5's.