Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting Up Windows VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting Up Windows VPS

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

I currently have a windows vps that i want to host multiple sites / ftp and sql databases etc.

Is there a best practice guide on how to set these up to be secure and also to host mail/mysql databases as well as should you have a backup server in a different data centre etc.

I guess i'm trying to start a company hosting web site. but i want to do it my way rather than be a reseller if that makes sense

I'm looking for a guide on how to do it all with Windows 2008

Cheers

Comments

• markmark Member

I have to ask the obvious question, and that is why do you want to use Windows 2008 for this? There may be a very good reason for you using Windows, and this might have an impact on how you set up your server.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Reason as i want to be able to run MS SQL databases in future, we are talking like a few web sites at the moment. Plus overall management seems easier.

• You are just start-up? Try switch to Linux, where you'll eventually find it easier to manage, better efficiency, low cost and of course easy to set up. Decide now or pay high cost in the future when you need to run high cost Wins on 20 servers. Unless your business really need.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You should take a look at websitepanel ( http://www.websitepanel.net/ ) if you want to setup windows webhosting.

• You can use WebsitePanel for centralized management of your Windows VPS. You can configure your VPS with WebsitePanel and then you can refer following article for managing users, websites,databases etc.

WebsitePanel guidelines for beginners

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2013

Its not a 'so easy' to setup Websitepanel and run SQL, FTP,etc ;/

1. Upgrade your OS to latest version
    2. Maybe required to remove 100mb reserved hard disk
    3. Install Websitepanel and Microsoft WebInstaller
    4. Install some software through Microsoft WebInstaller
    5. Install and Configure IIS
    6. Create a FTP User account, change settings of user account and group.
    7. Install FTP then check your websitepanel (eg; FTP is working or not)
    8. Install and Configure SQL Software
    9. Fix 500, 404 IIS Server errors
    10. Maybe also required to Install python
    11. Install some IIS Modules and configure