Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special

MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
edited July 2017 in General

Have a hankering for some freedom? Looks like Database By Design's $17.76/mo E3 special is back!

The catch is you have to pay annually, so it's 213.12 freedom dollars for the year. I picked up one of these last time around (Jan or Feb) but with an hdd. I've had zero downtime - hardware, network, power, or otherwise. They are based in Philly and if I'm not mistaken have direct fiber to NYC.

Specs are:

• E3-1230 or better
  • 16 gb RAM
  • 240GB SSD
  • 1Gbps /w 10TB BW
  • 1x IPv4 with IPMI + /64 IPv6

Had to pick up another this time around. Delivery took a few days last time around so I'd imagine it's the same this time too.

WHT Thread

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

If their SUPPORT services weren't so lacking, I'd really want DbD to get a ton of sales. That you have to basically beg them to take your money, welp..

I also have their $218/yr special from Christmas.

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited July 2017

I would also vouch for these guys as I have a server with them and everything is going smoothly. Like WSS said however, I quite literally, had to beg them to put my order through.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@WSS said:
    If their services weren't so lacking, I'd really want DbD to get a ton of sales.

I understand, their support leaves much to be desired. But with all things considered they are still the most reliable host that I have servers with.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:

@WSS said:
    If their services weren't so lacking, I'd really want DbD to get a ton of sales.

I understand, their support leaves much to be desired. But with all things considered they are still the most reliable host that I have servers with.

I can't argue with that. I should have said SUPPORT services. I have production stuff with them. :D

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • YuraYura Member

I want it. I don't need it. But I want it...

• WSSWSS Member

C'mon, pull the trigger. In a couple weeks after your first ticket, you'll never need to contact them again.

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said:
    C'mon, pull the trigger. In a couple weeks after your first ticket, you'll never need to contact them again.

So tempting. If I can't control my impulse buying, I decided to stop going for (bi-, tri-)annually deals, at the very least! This looks very tasty :(

Gonna sleep over it and wait until this deal is over. I'm saving my wallet for OVH USA simply because it will take them awhile. Postponed spending - saved monies :)

• WSSWSS Member

This will probably be available around the same time. Just keep your tickets up to date!

Thanked by 1Yura
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Very bad support.

• What do you guy's say is bad support? Slow, not helpful, arrogant, slow hardware failure replacement? Im asking because I'm interested in buy and never work with them before. I will almost no need any support... so what is so bad?

Also anyone knows what datacenter are they using?

@nqservices said:
    What do you guy's say is bad support? Slow, not helpful, arrogant, slow hardware failure replacement? Im asking because I'm interested in buy and never work with them before. I will almost no need any support... so what is so bad?

Also anyone knows what datacenter are they using?

They are in their self-owned datacenter based in Philadelphia, PA. Address is 401 North Broad St, Philadelphia PA, 19108, if you want to look it up on Google Maps or something.

Their support is definitely helpful and they seem like nice people, it just getting their attention that is the issue. I put in a ticket and never got a response, even though it was low priority (adding another IPv4). You might have to bump a ticket once or twice to finally get a response. I'm sure if it's something that's an emergency like failing hardware and the like, they'll be much more receptive and get you squared away quickly as per their SLA.

If you're confident in your own abilities to self manage your server, then you should have any issues. Like I said before, their infrastructure is top notch and I've never experienced a minute of downtime (5-min ping checks) in the six+ months I've had my server.

• @MasonR said:
    They are in their self-owned datacenter based in Philadelphia, PA. Address is 401 North Broad St, Philadelphia PA, 19108, if you want to look it up on Google Maps or something.

Thanks for your feedback! Can you or someone with a server there make the bellow simple bench so I can see their network speed? It's a anual deal and I want to make sure network speed will meet my needs.

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

I really appreciate to anyone who can make the test and past it here. Thanks!

@nqservices said: I really appreciate to anyone who can make the test and past it here. Thanks!

Here ya go!:

Benchmark started on Wed Jul 5 21:55:00 EDT 2017
    Full benchmark log: /home/mrowe/bench.log

System Info
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU Cores : 8
    Frequency : 2136.367 MHz
    Memory : 16020 MB
    Swap : MB
    Uptime : 21 days, 12:48,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 4.4.0-79-generic
    Hostname : sauron

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 84.3MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 68.8MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 33.8MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 18.9MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 21.0MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 62.3MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 13.1MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 6.11MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 4.97MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 15.7MB/s

Disk Speed
    I/O (1st run) : 77.2 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 78.5 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 81.0 MB/s
    Average I/O : 78.9 MB/s

Thanked by 2nqservices Aidan
  • @MasonR said:
    Here ya go!:

Thank's a lot! Is your hard drive SATA or SSD?

And I know it's maybe too much to ask, but can you just make one more speed test:

wget --no-check-certificate bench.sh && mv "index.html" "bench.sh" && chmod +x bench.sh && ./bench.sh

I'm asking this because according to your previous test, USA speeds seem excellent! I just want to make sure that speed to Europe is also good.

So if you can please run just this final test. I would one again really appreciate! Thanks!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

Your shell excerpt won't work. Go away, DbD is slow for management, but their shit is solid. We don't need you there.

E: The joke being that they'd actually make it past the first stage: "Send us your ID, two forms of bills, semen, and some fingernail clippings."

@nqservices said: Thank's a lot! Is your hard drive SATA or SSD?

It's a HDD. If you have a specific location/test file you want me to try I'll do it but that script just stalls out on me.

@WSS said: E: The joke being that they'd actually make it past the first stage: "Send us your ID, two forms of bills, semen, and some fingernail clippings."

Did you get fraud checked by them? I think I remember someone else saying too that their verification was pretty ridiculous.

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:
    Did you get fraud checked by them? I think I remember someone else saying too that their verification was pretty ridiculous.

Yep. I got fraud checked, called from US phone number, gave them address that matched prefix, sent bills, ID, and semen/blood combo (don't ask), and it still took another week before I got out of stasis.

@WSS said:

@MasonR said:

Yep. I got fraud checked, called from US phone number, gave them address that matched prefix, sent bills, ID, and semen/blood combo (don't ask), and it still took another week before I got out of stasis.

My heartfelt condolences.

If they fraud checked me I would have just drove over to say "hey fuckers," since I was living close by at the time.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @MasonR said:

If you have a specific location/test file you want me to try I'll do it but that script just stalls out on me.

Maybe you can try this: https://k4y5.github.io/ServerBench/

I would be very helpful. I'm asking this because it's a anual deal.. Thanks once again!

@nqservices said:

@MasonR said:

If you have a specific location/test file you want me to try I'll do it but that script just stalls out on me.

Maybe you can try this: https://k4y5.github.io/ServerBench/

I would be very helpful. I'm asking this because it's a anual deal.. Thanks once again!

That one was stalling out as well. Do you have specific countries in mind?

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:
    My heartfelt condolences.

Mine, too. I figured "Holy shit these guys know what they're doing." Follow up to two weeks later and I'm still waiting for IPMI access info.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MasonR said:

I love your show!

Thanked by 1MasonR
    edited July 2017

@raindog308 said:

@MasonR said:

I love your show!

On the next Dirty Jobs - A day in the life of a LET mod

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:
    On the next Dirty Jobs - A day in the life of a LET mod

It'd just be the same shit-show every day.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @MasonR said:
    That one was stalling out as well. Do you have specific countries in mind?

UK (London) / Germany / Spain / France

@nqservices said: UK (London) / Germany / Spain / France

vmhaus - UK London - 18.2MB/s
    QHoster - Germany - 14.5 MB/s
    GinerNet - Spain - 12.3 MB/s
    QHoster - France - 15.0 MB/s

Thanked by 2nqservices vimalware
  • @MasonR said:

@nqservices said: UK (London) / Germany / Spain / France

vmhaus - UK London - 18.2MB/s
    QHoster - Germany - 14.5 MB/s
    GinerNet - Spain - 12.3 MB/s
    QHoster - France - 15.0 MB/s

Thanks helped a lot! I think I will buy one, Thanks

• taken from WHT,

At least 6 IP address - not a problem $2.50/m per IP
    At least 2x512 GB sata 3 SSD as raid 1 from BIOS - we can install up to 4x 240GB SSD on a custom order ($15/m per SSD)
    At least 1 TB secondary hdd for storage - can't support an extra SATA when using 4x SSDs
    At least 1 gbit dedicated port with 50 TB monthly traffic - Comes with 10TB, we can work something out to upgrade to 50TB
    At least 128 GB ram memory - These servers support max of 32GB RAM, nothing we can do about that, sorry. 

• do they support windows server os (trial/licensed) ?

• non-related question: do they give out invoices automatically or do you have to ask for it? (Thinking of buying it, and reimburse the cost)

This discussion has been closed.