Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

S7 edge - us cellular to T-Mobile
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

S7 edge - us cellular to T-Mobile

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I have A new us cellular phone... I am trying to see if it can be used on T-Mobile... Is it possible?

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

If your phone is unlocked and supports a SIM card, you should be able to do so. I'm currently on T-Mobile with an iPhone that I purchased unlocked and obtained a SIM card for T-Mobile. Been doing this for a few years now and haven't encountered any issues so far. The only thing you need to make sure is 1) The phone you purchased can either be unlocked or is unlocked and 2) T-Mobile officially supports it on their network, which shouldn't be an issue with most newer phones.

• edited July 2017

http://willmyphonework.net/

Looks like you'll get full 2G and 4G LTE coverage. 3G on 1900Mhz may work.

• WHTWHT Member

Anyone know any site where to unlock an iphone6?

• PwnerPwner Member

@WHT said:
    Anyone know any site where to unlock an iphone6?

PM me, I don't want to derail OP's thread. If you already own the phone, I can probably help you with the official unlocking process. I've already done it to 10 phones now.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2017

Yes, you can use your S7 edge with T-Mobile as long as it supports GSM. US Cellular is still a CDMA network although most modern phones sold in the US are GSM phones with CDMA kludged in.

WHT said: Anyone know any site where to unlock an iphone6?

If the phone is paid off or otherwise not on contract, your carrier will unlock it for free. If it's not paid off or still on contract, it's eminently more difficult to unlock, and likely not possible on an iPhone because of how Apple registers the phones with the carriers.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Just spoke to us cellular .. turns out that the phone is unlocked.

So next question is... can I apply the tmobile firmware to this phone? If yes, how?

• WSSWSS Member

You might want to check to see what the differences are in the radio firmware. If your hardware doesn't support it, you'll brick it sure as shit.

• @plumberg said:
    Just spoke to us cellular .. turns out that the phone is unlocked.

So next question is... can I apply the tmobile firmware to this phone? If yes, how?

No you'll brick the device.

• PwnerPwner Member

@plumberg said:

Then just plug in a T-Mobile SIM card and don't risk bricking your phone.

• @Pwner said:

@plumberg said:

Then just plug in a T-Mobile SIM card and don't risk bricking your phone.

I did. T-Mobile sim works.. But the cellular signal is terrible.. Maybe a few bands are disabled... Could I check what bands are enabled or disabled and flip the switch?

• @WSS said:
    You might want to check to see what the differences are in the radio firmware. If your hardware doesn't support it, you'll brick it sure as shit.

You won't brick it. (well it's as good as bricked, since it won't have signal)

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Last time I tried that shit was back during mako. It doesn't always turn out all that well. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited July 2017

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Last time I tried that shit was back during mako. It doesn't always turn out all that well. :)

I get weak T-Mobile signal currently. I thought flashing T-Mobile firmware may assist getting strong signal and maybe add volte and WiFi calling

• WSSWSS Member

Not if the radio doesn't support the frequencies.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @WSS said:

That's what I said previously: if the chip doesn't support it, tough luck. Try to sell the device and buy the proper one that supports the right frequencies. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @doghouch said:

@WSS said:

That's what I said previously: if the chip doesn't support it, tough luck. Try to sell the device and buy the proper one that supports the right frequencies. Otherwise, you're screwed.
    @WSS said:

What's the best way to find out if the existing h/w is supported?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2017

@plumberg said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

@WSS said:

What's the best way to find out if the existing h/w is supported?

Yep - a quick search with your model number will reveal the supported frequencies. Then again, you could buy a phone and just hope it works :)

• Pwner said: PM me, I don't want to derail OP's thread. If you already own the phone, I can probably help you with the official unlocking process. I've already done it to 10 phones now.

Keep in mind, if the unlock is done by Apple and not official Apple CAN and WILL relock if the user abusing the backend is caught.

doghouch said: Yep - a quick search with your mode number will reveal the supported frequencies. Then again, you could buy a phone and just hope it works :)

Or move to EU that uses unified frequencies and not weird as US and especially India...

• @William Eh, moving costs $$$ :I

• PwnerPwner Member

@William said:
    Keep in mind, if the unlock is done by Apple and not official Apple CAN and WILL relock if the user abusing the backend is caught.

I already discussed with @WHT, the process is the official way, which communicates with both Apple and his carrier. I don't endorse shady tactics for unlocking cellphones.

• @Pwner this does however not work on all carriers then, as some refuse to unlock iPhones entirely (which is not legal in EU, but in other countries)

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • WHTWHT Member

@William said:
    @Pwner this does however not work on all carriers then, as some refuse to unlock iPhones entirely (which is not legal in EU, but in other countries)

I called drei and they said they can unlock it for free if the contract is paid.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2017

WHT said: I called drei and they said they can unlock it for free if the contract is paid.

Last time i checked Austria is still in EU. EU forces unlock ability.

This concerns only non-EU countries, eg. Saudi-Arabia and the UAE.

• Just FYI. Turns out all us cellular phones are unlocked. Also, I was able to flash T-Mobile firmware and bam, in 10 mins my phone is Golden. FM, volte, WiFi calling, HD voice, video calls all working....

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited July 2017

Isn't US Cellular a CDMA network? Or did they switch to GSM/Edge/HSPA+/LTE like AT&T and T-Mobile? I think Verizon and Sprint are the only remaining CDMA carriers in the world, not sure though

Regardless even if it was like verizon with CDMA and LTE functionality most of the time those phones are sold as "world phones" meaning they can run as GSM/LTE, at least with the verizon phones I've used which are all unlocked stock

• @ethancedrik said:
    Isn't US Cellular a CDMA network? Or did they switch to GSM/Edge/HSPA+/LTE like AT&T and T-Mobile? I think Verizon and Sprint are the only remaining CDMA carriers in the world, not sure though

Regardless even if it was like verizon with CDMA and LTE functionality most of the time those phones are sold as "world phones" meaning they can run as GSM/LTE, at least with the verizon phones I've used which are all unlocked stock

You're correct. This seems like the world phone you described