Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Among the free web hosting control panel, which one ...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Among the free web hosting control panel, which one ...

is the most up to date, and has Good Community/Developer support.

Comments

• JorboxJorbox Member

it depends on your needs but serverpilot is good.

• shellshell Member

virtualmin ?

• shellshell Member

virtualmin ?

• FritzFritz Veteran

Webuzo, Virtualmin, VestaCP, Kloxo-MR, Daspanel, ISPConfig 3, Serverpilot.

Depends on your needs.

• sonicsonic Veteran

VestaCP is a good, simple solution.

• +1 for Vestacp and Centos webpanel

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2017

Depends on your needs.

Among this list, which one has the best Developer / Community Support.

I have tried, centos web panel and vestacp.

CentosWebPanel is not open source. And the forum is like a grave. We can see 2 years old post on first page forum. And the developer is very slow on Update. I really wish they are open source, so the community can contribute to improve it.

VestaCP. Same. Forum almost dead. Although I have seen some update on github.

Kloxo-MR, great Control Panel. Have a lot of features, Really a lot of features. So many that it confuses me.

I have tried CentosWebPanel and Kloxo-MR for production. And they are pretty solid.

Right now I am considering **VestaCP. **I like the interface, very simple and straightforward. The thing is, If I stumble upon a problem, I have no idea where to ask. I post 2 question in their forum, and it has 0 replies for 1 month.

Tried Virtualmin once, their interface is sluggish, confusing. And I can't get ssl to work. Uninstalled it. How is it regarding the support ? will consider try it again if the support is good.

ISPConfig 3 skip it. Because as far as I know we need to install all of the components manually.

Webuzo, skip it. Single user. I need multiple user.

ServerPilot. Can't get it to work. It needs newer kernel. Does it support multiple user ?

Daspanel never heard of it.

What I need :
    Standard Control Panel Hosting, which support PHP mysql, email (smtp/pop/forwarding, dkim, spif), let's encrypt / 3rd party ssl, multi user. That's about it.

• @yokowasis said:

Depends on your needs.

CentosWebPanel is not open source. And the forum is like a grave. We can see 2 years old post on first page forum. And the developer is very slow on Update. I really wish they are open source, so the community can contribute to improve it.

Kloxo-MR, great Control Panel. Have a lot of features, Really a lot of features. So many that it confuses me.

I have tried CentosWebPanel and Kloxo-MR for production. And they are pretty solid.

Right now I am considering **VestaCP. **I like the interface, very simple and straightforward. The thing is, If I stumble upon a problem, I have no idea where to ask. I post 2 question in their forum, and it has 0 replies for 1 month.

Tried Virtualmin once, their interface is sluggish, confusing. And I can't get ssl to work. Uninstalled it. How is it regarding the support ? will consider try it again if the support is good.

ISPConfig 3 skip it. Because as far as I know we need to install all of the components manually.

ServerPilot. Can't get it to work. It needs newer kernel. Does it support multiple user ?

What I need :
    Standard Control Panel Hosting, which support PHP mysql, email (smtp/pop/forwarding, dkim, spif), let's encrypt / 3rd party ssl, multi user. That's about it.

Serverpilot allows multi SFTP users for $10/month (Includes autossl etc). Im also looking for a free alternative that allows easy firewall configuration + Lets Encrypt.

• WSSWSS Member

/usr/bin/vi works pretty well

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

Give ispConfig a try nontheless. It's pretty solid and gets frequent updates. Community is quite active, too.

Thanked by 4Jorbox jvnadr alown dwtbf
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Mmmm, conclusions easy made without search/knowledge...

yokowasis said: VestaCP. Same. Forum almost dead. Although I have seen some update on github.

Active developing, active forum, frequent updates. Where did you get the conclusion that it is almost dead?

yokowasis said: Have a lot of features, Really a lot of features. So many that it confuses me

What is confusing you? Almost all panels (except from little like froxlor) do have this amount of features. And the interface/features is based somehow to the early CPanel, when original Kloxo was made as a free competitor...

yokowasis said: Tried Virtualmin once, their interface is sluggish, confusing. And I can't get ssl to work

SSl is working fine. And they have a lot of skins if you don't like the interface. Their original since 2015 is Authentic, that is perfect.

yokowasis said: ISPConfig 3 skip it

Nice advise! Skip it? This is one of the best panels out there. Components do get installed manually, but there are so extreme details for a ton of different configurations, that even someonte that do not know how to "apt-get" could install iteasily. Not to mention that there are a couple of automatic installers, for lazy guys like you.

yokowasis said: What I need : Standard Control Panel Hosting, which support PHP mysql, email (smtp/pop/forwarding, dkim, spif), let's encrypt / 3rd party ssl, multi user. That's about it.

Use Vesta CP.

• rumi4rumi4 Member

Get vestacp on ubuntu or debian.

• @jvnadr said:
    Mmmm, conclusions easy made without search/knowledge...

yokowasis said: VestaCP. Same. Forum almost dead. Although I have seen some update on github.

Active developing, active forum, frequent updates. Where did you get the conclusion that it is almost dead?

Because I can get faster reply on let regarding VestaCP than on its own forum. The discussion only consist of 1, 2 or 0 reply.

Regarding kloxo-mr they have a lot of button and menus. Sometimes we can lost and wondering where the heck am I now.

And kloxo-mr doesn't support url you basically need to click your way through the menu. It is pain in the ass if you work using multi tabbed browser.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

yokowasis said: Tried Virtualmin once, their interface is sluggish, confusing. And I can't get ssl to work. Uninstalled it. How is it regarding the support ? will consider try it again if the support is good.

it's just your luck of technical knowledge of running server, my recommendation for that reason is cPanel!

• I won't put "free" on the title If I am considering cpanel.

@WebProject said:

yokowasis said: Tried Virtualmin once, their interface is sluggish, confusing. And I can't get ssl to work. Uninstalled it. How is it regarding the support ? will consider try it again if the support is good.

it's just your luck of technical knowledge of running server, my recommendation for that reason is cPanel!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

WebProject said: it's just your luck of technical knowledge of running server, my recommendation for that reason is cPanel!

^^ This. If you want a web panel for dummies to be run on a dedi/vps without a certain level of knowledge, you do have greater than reality expectations. Managing a server is something than need knowledge and, if there is not enough there, then, the user have to make effort to achieve that level.
    Anyway, what is the question that in Vesta forums you cannot find an answer? In their forums, there are questions that have been answered multiple times and people just keep asking.
    Also, if you need support, there is paid support from Vesta creators to resolve all of your questions. A forum belonging to a closed source panel cannot be an indicator - even if I could find answers to almost all of my questions to Vesta forum regarding several issues or how-to.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

jvnadr said: Managing a server is something than need knowledge and, if there is not enough there, then, the user have to make effort to achieve that level.

if he straggle on simple task - to install SSL, have you tried google the following keywords: install SSL webmin/virtualmin ? First result is:
    https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/tutorial/how-to-add-an-ssl-certificate

by recommending the cPanel above, I mean the control panel come with support, very active forum and very easy to use control panel.

• FalzoFalzo Member

I think, open source/free panels are great, but you should be able to help yourself just in case and don't expect much support on them at all.

If you have no basic knowledge about doing things via cli or debugging smaller scripts or just don't want to bother with that you should adjust your expectations and go for any paid something ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Actually I have created addon / module both for Centos Web Panel and VestaCP. So, about cli or small script, I know a thing or two.

Regarding SSL, I can easily install or generate let's encrypt ssl on VestaCP, Kloxo-MR, CentosWebPanel, and the others. Yet Virtualmin simply redeemed my certificate as invalid for some reason. And yes I did google. I could dig deeper, but at the time, I have more important thing to be done. I just simply reinstall my os, and install CentosWebPanel.

Why would I bother posting on the Forum If I can find the answer in Google.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited July 2017

ISPConfig 3 has automate installer that works very good.

Personally, I prefer to use ISPConfig 3, Kloxo-MR and VestaCP.

As for Daspanel, you can search further here https://daspanel.com

and one more to explore, KeyHelp (https://www.keyhelp.de/en/)

@yokowasis said:

Depends on your needs.

What I need :

• Virtualmin is probably the best tested code after Cpanel.

You just need to get over the initial confusion about Webmin being the 'core server sysadmin tasks' module and Virtualmin being the actual 'end-user Hosting services' module.

It's just a legacy of the times they were named. Webmin was born first.

Thanked by 1sin
  • I like ISPConfig 3. I've used it for years. Once you get everything installed, it's very stable. There are several installation scripts out there. Hell, I had created one that was pretty widely used myself.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Fritz said: KeyHelp

This is one of the very few panels I have not used, even installed it.
    Do any of you have any real experience with to share? How good is it? Is there any missing features? It is stable?
    On a quick look to their websites and manual, it seem to be really good (even if it is Apache only and not nginx capable), with a lot of automated tasks and a good automated but configurable backup system (the most important of all for a panel, IMO)...

• I have personally tried many of the free web-hosting panels and what I found was that they were bulky and many times took up too many resources. Depending on what you are doing I recommend Centmin Mod, it is not an admin panel but in many aspects, it is much easier and configured to give the best online web performance.

centminmod.com

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2017

jvnadr said: This is one of the very few panels I have not used, even installed it.

Do any of you have any real experience with to share? How good is it? Is there any missing features? It is stable?

I did not use in production yet but have it installed and played around with it already... it seems very stable and complete from what I saw and checked so far.
    it also is not new as it might seem from a first glance. "keyweb" the provider behind this is in the german market for over 15 years providing hosting and vps at least, hence keyhelp is already available in major version 17.

for the background: they used to offer keyhelp as control panel with their vservers as an alternative to confixx or plesk for their customers. afaik they only decided recently (2015) to offer it for free also for non-customers...

they change and develop regularly as one can see from the changelog:
    https://www.keyhelp.de/en/changelog/

and there also is a working demo for the look and feel of it:
    https://demo.keyhelp.de/

@yokowasis: depending on what you need I'd go for vestacp for smaller setups and unexperienced clients (clean non-confusing interface). especially if you are not afraid to make minor changes or adjustments to the installation/config/scripts to make it fit your needs.

for a larger shared hosting setup I'd go for ISPconfig or keyhelp as those offer more features, more fine grained control via the panel itself or even multi-server managment if needed (ispconfig)

• Actually kloxo-mr, despite being bulky and have a pack features (it even has its own integrated ticketing system), surprisingly the most resource friendly among the panel I tested (CWP, VestaCP, Virtualmin)

@ljseals said:
    I have personally tried many of the free web-hosting panels and what I found was that they were bulky and many times took up too many resources. Depending on what you are doing I recommend Centmin Mod, it is not an admin panel but in many aspects, it is much easier and configured to give the best online web performance.

centminmod.com

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2017

Anybody considered Froxlor?

• @clarity_64 said:
    I like ISPConfig 3. I've used it for years. Once you get everything installed, it's very stable. There are several installation scripts out there. Hell, I had created one that was pretty widely used myself.

Do you mind sharing ?

• @yokowasis said:

Do you mind sharing ?

This is what I had. I haven't updated it in quite a bit. I think that it worked with Debian 7.

https://github.com/dclardy64/ISPConfig-3-Debian-Installer

Thanked by 1rumi4
  • I'm using Centos webpanel for one of the personal servers. :)