Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do many LET members not like RHEL clones?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do many LET members not like RHEL clones?

dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
edited January 2012 in General

Other than yum not liking OpenVZ's allocation based memory limits, what are your complaints with RHEL clones?

I don't like how debian messes with mysql or how apt restarts services after updating them even if they were not running before it was updated.

Comments

• Don't have any complaints, I use CentOS myself as well :)

Yup annoying how Debian/Ubuntu messes with mysql.

• centos not as 'developer friendly (look at ubuntu ppa)', yum eats through a ton of ram for no reason?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Well, policy.d again (Debian). And mysql works fine to me.

• @justinb said: yum eats through a ton of ram for no reason?

If yum eats ram for no reason, then why did I have no issues on a 80mb RAM KVM VPS?

• Because it has SWAP and a normal memory management.
    Openvz is idiot u_u

Thanked by 1tux
  • vote for slackware..

[spam time]

• I used to be all slackware fan (when i started working with linux in 1995). Then i got older, got lazier and switched to debian :) I still have slackware on some old machines which are used as cheap routers, but for anything that requires internet facing services i prefer debian.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Disable the yum plugins and you've but down a tonne of RAM.

Personally I love REHL based distributions, simply because I've got so used to 'em. It's on all of my boxs minus a very low RAM one.

• It may be somewhat due to the learning curve. Once you learn one of them you tend to stick with it. Another factor is the RHRL corporate factor vs the more grass roots open source nature of Debian.

I try to keep somewhat up on both. They each have their own quirks.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I followed the same path for my own distro of choice (for work it was another story) used slackware from the start (it was a stack of floppy disks) since around 2004 and then when I changed my laptop I installed debian ;-)

S.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Other than yum not liking OpenVZ's allocation based memory limits

I hate it when such an important component of the system is written in scripting language and depends on the interpreter version. Some time ago, when I was on fedora, I had enough with non-working packet manager.

Another thing I hate in yum is that it decides by itself when it should update packages list.

@dmmcintyre3 said: I don't like how debian messes with mysql

Er, and how does it?

• I used to be all slackware fan (when i started working with linux in 1995). Then i got older, got lazier and switched to debian :)

Same here, except my start date for linux was 1996-ish. I tried Red Hat when it was free, and got completely disgusted with the RPM system, which is something that I remember and associate with Centos. So Debian is my choice also.

I do like me some Gentoo, though. But only on systems fast enough that the compile time is reasonable.

• I use CentOS, Fedora and now SL (thanks to @miTgiB for recommending it to me) and personally, I use Ubuntu just for my side projects, nothing too serious and mission-critical although Ubuntu and Debian can HOST serious stuff (no offense to the Debian fans)

• @rds100 said: I used to be all slackware fan (when i started working with linux in 1995).

starts from 1997. :D yeah.. i still have that one too. on my old 3GHz prescott for home file database. have debian on all my laptop. centos only for VPS node. :P

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited January 2012

I'm a Debian user, but recently loaded CentOS onto an extra VPS to give it a try. That adventure ended when I wanted to install munin and learned I had to configure and access a new repository. Debian's apt system is the Linux app store, with 25,000 packages. After installing Debian, I add a dozen essential utilities/apps using a single copy-and-paste bash command. I never have to download a package or add a new repository (unless I'm installing something off the beaten path). It's just too easy.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

CentOS really screwed with CentOS 6. The release was poorly done as well as very late. They put all of their focus behind CentOS 5.7 which was just a minor bug release update.

There is a ton of bickering inside their own ranks and the leader is supposedly an asshat that won't listen to anyone.

Personally, any nodes that we require an RHEL derived setup on, we use scientific linux 6.x on. It has served us well on our cpanel boxes.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: CentOS really screwed with CentOS 6.

agree. one example already done is on my test node it use 8GB ram (from 16GB available) with only one 1 vm running. weird.

• @Francisco said: Personally, any nodes that we require an RHEL derived setup on, we use scientific linux 6.x on. It has served us well on our cpanel boxes.

I was looking into that. Have you encountered any issues with cpanel due to SL not being exactly RHEL/Centos?

@Damian4IPXcore said: I was looking into that. Have you encountered any issues with cpanel due to SL not being exactly RHEL/Centos?

Nope, not a single issue.

For our VPS nodes we're using debian now.

Francisco

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Damian4IPXcore said: I was looking into that. Have you encountered any issues with cpanel due to SL not being exactly RHEL/Centos?

I use SL on my cPanel server it is working fine so far, been a bit over a month.

• @Francisco said: CentOS really screwed with CentOS 6. The release was poorly done as well as very late. They put all of their focus behind CentOS 5.7 which was just a minor bug release update.

There is a ton of bickering inside their own ranks and the leader is supposedly an asshat that won't listen to anyone.

For these reasons, and a few others (like the inability to upgrade between major versions), I've lost a lot of faith in CentOS and moved most of my boxes to Debian.

• Cool! With this input on working well, we'll try SL on the new nodes we're rolling out in the next few days. Thanks!

@Damian4IPXcore said: Cool! With this input on working well, we'll try SL on the new nodes we're rolling out in the next few days. Thanks!

For cpanel sure, but understand that the .32 kernels for OpenVZ are still reallllllly derpy.

Francisco

• Debian is all I've ever known, but if it's true you can't upgrade versions in CentOS (from 5 to 6 etc) that I read here, then I am glad.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Debian-based for server, RHEL-based for desktop.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • tuxtux Member

Debian-based for server and desktop

• So sad that cPanel isn't compatible with Debian which is my favorite OS.

• @HerrMaulwurf said: So sad that cPanel isn't compatible with Debian which is my favorite OS.

Is totally incompatible? So, can't be installed manually or something? Utter crap xD

cpanel is working on generalizing their code so it'll act more like plesk in that 'it just works'.

cPanel compiles a LOT of things that are more than likely in yum/apt anyways.

Francisco

@Reetus said: Debian is all I've ever known, but if it's true you can't upgrade versions in CentOS (from 5 to 6 etc) that I read here, then I am glad.

At least not yet. You lose out on some of the performance gains by not using EXT4 and coming up from EXT3. You can 'convert' EXT3->4 but it's far from perfect.

Francisco