Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for game server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for game server

I'm looking for a VPS that has good single-core performance and a decent amount of RAM. Here's my use cases:

1. Static hosting
  2. Game server

My current host has a decent amount of RAM and storage, but falls short on single-core speed.

I was looking at the services provided by VPSlice, since they seem to have great CPU speeds combined with decent RAM / storage. (2 x 3.5 GHz, 4GB RAM for $5 / m). Storage is not as important for me. Are there better options that I should be aware of?

Comments

• And which location are you interested in?

Thanked by 1ChristianDSH
  • ouvounouvoun Member

@rivermigue said:
    And which location are you interested in?

Sorry, forgot to mention. I'm looking for a location in the US, preferably in California. Central US works as well.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@ouvoun said:

@rivermigue said:

Sorry, forgot to mention. I'm looking for a location in the US, preferably in California. Central US works as well.

I highly doubt you'll get anything close to 4GB RAM for $5/m on the west coast. What type of game server is it anyways?

• rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited July 2017

MikeA said: I highly doubt you'll get anything close to 4GB RAM for $5/m on the west coast. What type of game server is it anyways?

Probably Source games as they don't support multithreading hence the need of high clock CPU

• ouvounouvoun Member

@MikeA said:

@ouvoun said:

@rivermigue said:

I highly doubt you'll get anything close to 4GB RAM for $5/m on the west coast. What type of game server is it anyways?

Most recently it's been for Factorio, but potentially for some Source games and Minecraft, all of which depend heavily on single-core clock speed.

• ouvoun said: Most recently it's been for Factorio, but potentially for some Source games and Minecraft, all of which depend heavily on single-core clock speed.

You will need a provider who offers dedicated CPU usage which will cost you much more than 5$.

• ouvounouvoun Member

@rivermigue said:

ouvoun said: Most recently it's been for Factorio, but potentially for some Source games and Minecraft, all of which depend heavily on single-core clock speed.

You will need a provider who offers dedicated CPU usage which will cost you much more than 5$.

I understand if I would need to pay more. Just looking for suggestions.

• Paging dr @Francisco

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited July 2017

@ouvoun said:
    I'm looking for a VPS that has good single-core performance and a decent amount of RAM. Here's my use cases:

1. Static hosting
    2. Game server

My current host has a decent amount of RAM and storage, but falls short on single-core speed.

I was looking at the services provided by VPSlice, since they seem to have great CPU speeds combined with decent RAM / storage. (2 x 3.5 GHz, 4GB RAM for $5 / m). Storage is not as important for me. Are there better options that I should be aware of?

Take a look @ nfoservers.com
    Their VPS are especially for gameservers, you can use 100% of your vps without being suspended.
    They do underselling to guarantee the best performance for your game server.

They also offer premium routing, ddos protection and a firewall for 20 rules.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

...or you could try and snatch an i7 off Kimsufi. Gives you way more resources for a much lower price.

• MaherMaher Member

Some how Kimsufi lacks protection on their gameservers even though they are the same as OVH

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Was running a couple of public gameservers on it. It was doing fine to be honest.

You can always get an e3 1225v2 with 32 GB RAM and 2x 2 TB HDD's for 49$ from SYS https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2017

@ouvoun said:

@rivermigue said:

ouvoun said: Most recently it's been for Factorio, but potentially for some Source games and Minecraft, all of which depend heavily on single-core clock speed.

I understand if I would need to pay more. Just looking for suggestions.

Slice! Slice! Slice!

Don't expect to get any amount of of those 2 cores at $5/month, you're going to be in CPU steal ville.

Get the original(tm) slice at https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices

It's more, but all of the resources are fully dedicated so eat all you want.

Francisco

• ouvounouvoun Member

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!