Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Failover IP address?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Failover IP address?

Hi Folks,

I'm a little lacking on the networking front and I'm looking some some guidance.

I currently have an environment that comes with 4 failover IP address.

I would like to build the following.

2 x VM's (Red Hat)
1x pfsense VM (Routing)

Can I assign one of the failover IP addresses to the pfsense server or does the IP needs to be public?

If this cannot be done I am going to have to look for a new host that can supply me with additional (public) IP addresses.

Many Thanks in advance for an advice.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Fairly sure failover IPs are public? It's the entire point of them, to be a failover for the primary IP.

• zoneeditzoneedit Member
    edited July 2017

@Ishaq said:
    Fairly sure failover IPs are public? It's the entire point of them, to be a failover for the primary IP.

It depends on how you are implementing the failover.

If all your devices are in the same POP and you have a load balancer / traffic director in front of those devices, you can use the private IPs behind the traffic directing device.

If on the other hand you want to do failover, either to another POP or not behind this kind of traffic director, then you need to use the public IPs and you have to automatically update the hostname record for the server to the new IP in the zone's DNS. For that you have to look at your DNS provider.