Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
buy shared Downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

buy shared Downtime

Anyone else affected by this downtime?

We only support unsupported OS!

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Provider

did you open a ticket ? how many hours down ?

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

HostDare - One of the cheapest and coolest providers online! :) | Our premium unmanaged vps plans | Cheap Shared Hosting

• Yes, I do.

more than 1 hour

• down 2 hrs, 12 mins

BecomeWebHost.com | ScreenShots WHM Reseller hosting + billing + support system + client area included...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Moderator, Provider

Shared LV 02?

• NekkiNekki Moderator

When I'm purchasing downtime, I prefer mine dedicated.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• pixahex said: down 2 hrs, 12 mins

thanks for confirming it

trewq said: Shared LV 02?

yes

• @trewq said:
    Shared LV 02?

yeah, lv-shared02.

gives 404 on http.

https gives ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

BecomeWebHost.com | ScreenShots WHM Reseller hosting + billing + support system + client area included...

• Same here. 404 error.

• JorboxJorbox Member

I had the same downtime from 2 months and decided to move to a Dedicated Server, never risk your business and put it on a oversoled cheap company.

Value your customers.

• Jorbox said: Value your customers.

I don't hosted any customer, few low traffic WP site

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

Sorry, looking through that now.

With the holidays we're running a bit low on staff.

Should have it figured out in the next few.

Francisco

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
    edited July 2017

That should get you going. cPanel generated a bad httpd.conf it seems which litespeed ignores:

httpd_ls_bak: Syntax error on line 751604 of /etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: 2.244.94.16:80> directive missing closing '>'

Since Litespeed doesn't crash cPanel doesn't automatically fire off a rebuild.

I've forced a rebuild and it looks like PHP is happily moving along.

@Jorbox said:
    I had the same downtime from 2 months and decided to move to a Dedicated Server, never risk your business and put it on a oversoled cheap company.

Value your customers.

We have plenty of nodes and plenty of users on them. I discussed the litespeed issues we've had in great detail and Litespeed confirmed, and patched them, a little over a month ago. I've not seen the option to make Litespeed crash if it reads a bad configuration, I'd assume that goes against its preferred action.

lv-shared02's one of more stable nodes and has over a year of uptime. Minus this hitch and the one where we had to move up to EasyApache 4 for a basis, we'll go literal months and months where we see absolutely nothing going on.

With more and more SSL's getting issued there's times where multiple processes are modifying the httpd.conf file so a failed generation happens. Sometimes users see this as an SSL not applying right away or things like that which sucks, but usually it doesn't do a complete rip down like this update did.

Francisco

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • quickquick Member

Get a slice

Thanked by 2netomx HuntersPad

@quick said:
    Get a slice

A good solution but for many users that's not possible with cPanel being $11/month alone.

It's a fluke issue, I pasted the error above. A simple /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf got things going again, but doing this as a cron or something like that just turns into Litespeed constantly restarting.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • williewillie Member

Francisco said: line 751604 of /etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf

line 751604... omg. Fwiw my site there seems to be up now. I don't know if it was down earlier or which node it's on.

#lexit spread the word.

edited July 2017

@willie said:

line 751604... omg. Fwiw my site there seems to be up now. I don't know if it was down earlier or which node it's on.

It adds up quick. A single domain can be 50 or more lines once you get SSL's and all that in there. Some users have a hundred or two sub domains.

Francisco

• TomTom Member

@Francisco said:

@willie said:

It adds up quick. A single domain can be 50 or more lines once you get SSL's and all that in there. Some users have a hundred or two sub domains.

Francisco

Gotta give us some stats of all the BuyShared servers now :-)

• No wonder it's slowing down

grape

@Tom said:
    Gotta give us some stats of all the BuyShared servers now :-)

We keep them pretty standard. 24 CPU threads at around 2Ghz, 64GB+ RAM, and 4 x 1TB SSD's.

@corbpie said:
    No wonder it's slowing down

If you're having a slow down by all means let me know. We recently rolled out our new anti-wordpress bruteforce system which has cut down CPU load by over 30% on most of our nodes, some even more (namely the 'Shared' plans).

Francisco

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Moderator

@Jorbox said:

Value your customers.

Actually downtime happens! Your company is no where in the same class as buyvm.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@Nekki said:
    When I'm purchasing downtime, I prefer mine dedicated.

Yes but clearly the price performance ratio of virtual downtime is lots better.

My favourite prime number is 42. - \forall cpu in {intel, amd, arm}: cpu->speed -= cpu->speed/100 x irandom(15, 30) | state := hacked

• williewillie Member

Francisco said: anti-wordpress bruteforce system

What is that?!

Thanked by 1Francisco

#lexit spread the word.

• Francisco said: It adds up quick. A single domain can be 50 or more lines once you get SSL's and all that in there. Some users have a hundred or two sub domains.

Francisco

Pretty impressive. Slightly offtopic, does this mean every time you add a domain, you have to perform a litespeed restart? How does the server handle any requests in progress (such as file download or a form being posted)?

Are you looking for some textual fun?

• JorboxJorbox Member

@PieNotEvenEaten said:

@Jorbox said:

Value your customers.

Actually downtime happens! Your company is no where in the same class as buyvm.

my servers only down when I restart to upgrade the kernel for less than 1m maybe every 2 months or whenever cpanel create upgrades.... also I dont use litespeed because it has many problems with cloudlinux and ssl , and I use auto ssl free from cpanel and without any plugins for all of my customers by default , there are good alternative for litespeed that you have to try.

@willie said:

Francisco said: anti-wordpress bruteforce system

What is that?!

It's kinda like a captcha when you try to hit wp-login.php on our servers, it looks like https://dev.cpanelplatform.com/wp-login.php

The bots aren't smart enough to get around it so theres none of the PHP load of them hammering/browsing/etc.

@ramesh_vish said:

Francisco said: It adds up quick. A single domain can be 50 or more lines once you get SSL's and all that in there. Some users have a hundred or two sub domains.

Francisco

Pretty impressive. Slightly offtopic, does this mean every time you add a domain, you have to perform a litespeed restart? How does the server handle any requests in progress (such as file download or a form being posted)?

Litespeed forks a new parent process that loads the new configuration while the old process handles requests. Once it's done loading, the old master process falls off. It's all seamless now that they addressed the graceful restart fixes.

Apache isn't so kind to it. Reloading a large configuration file can take 10 - 30 seconds of pure downtime while it parses it.

Obviously smaller nodes would address that issue, but then you're dealing with a daunting amount of license fees. If you charge high prices for fully managed shared then it won't matter, but in the budget stuff? Bigger nodes are the only way to do it while offering litespeed/etc.

Francisco

• williewillie Member

I wonder if there are other alternative web servers that could deal with this, or if Apache could be made to load the config file in a separate thread or something like that.

#lexit spread the word.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited July 2017

@willie said:
    I wonder if there are other alternative web servers that could deal with this, or if Apache could be made to load the config file in a separate thread or something like that.

Yeah, Litespeed is the only supported alternative, and it's a great web server. We definitely recommend it.

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £45/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• JorboxJorbox Member

@willie said:

Try this Free!!

https://engintron.com/

Nginx® is a powerful open source web server that was built to scale websites to millions of visitors. cPanel® is the leading hosting control panel worldwide.

Engintron for cPanel/WHM is the easiest way to integrate Nginx on your cPanel/WHM server.

Engintron will improve the performance & web serving capacity of your server, while reducing CPU/RAM load at the same time. It does that by installing & configuring the popular Nginx webserver to act as a reverse caching proxy for static files (like CSS, JS, images etc.) with an additional micro-cache layer to significantly improve performance for dynamic content generated by CMSs like WordPress, Joomla or Drupal as well as forum software like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, IPB or e-commerce solutions like Magento, OpenCart, PrestaShop and others.

edited July 2017

Great. @Jorbox when you find a way for it to support native .htaccess you can start making such recommendations.

Of course even if you do, cPanel doesn't support it, so you're on your own with a closed source code application that you have no control over, including on updates.

edit: oh it's not even a web server, it's a reverse proxy plugin you refer to here. That's such an Apache replacement that requires... Apache to run.

Thanked by 1Junkless

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £45/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Clouvider said:
    Great. @Jorbox when you find a way for it to support native .htaccess you can start making such recommendations.

Of course even if you do, cPanel doesn't support it, so you're on your own with a closed source code application that you have no control over, including on updates.

edit: oh it's not even a web server, it's a reverse proxy plugin you refer to here. That's such an Apache replacement that requires... Apache to run.

I've been running Engintron Nginx for a few months with some impressive results and it it supports all .htaccess rules and HTTPS also Cloudflare. I had switched to Litespeed to do some benchmarking and found that Nginx actually performed better for load times, and compression. Not to mention it's 100% free!

It's not Nginx but Nginx in front of Apache as a reverse proxy (extra point of failure), which you claim solves the problem of Apache reloading config file for X amount of time while not serving requests on large deployments.

I don't see how this could work.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Clouvider said:
    It's not Nginx but Nginx in front of Apache as a reverse proxy (extra point of failure), which you claim solves the problem of Apache reloading config file for X amount of time while not serving requests on large deployments.

I invite you to try it , but read this first https://github.com/engintron/engintron/blob/master/README.md

@Jorbox said:

@Clouvider said:

I invite you to try it , but read this first https://github.com/engintron/engintron/blob/master/README.md

I don't have as large setup as @Francisco for Shared Hosting, in fact we don't even advertise it.

I went through the docs and I see nothing that could help with the case @Francisco mentioned.

Great, you like Nginx with some 3rd party unsupported plugin, if you think it helps you, that's even better. Let's agree to disagree here.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Clouvider said:

@Jorbox said:

@Clouvider said:

I don't have as large setup as @Francisco for Shared Hosting, in fact we don't even advertise it.

I went through the docs and I see nothing that could help with the case @Francisco mentioned.

Great, you like Nginx with some 3rd party unsupported plugin, if you think it helps you, that's even better. Let's agree to disagree here.

Since its free and can be uninstalled with one click, why not giving it a try and save some time and money !

edited July 2017

@Jorbox said:

@Clouvider said:

@Jorbox said:

@Clouvider said:

Since its free and can be uninstalled with one click, why not giving it a try and save some time and money !

???

For starters, because my Customers look for quality and not hacked solutions with 3rd party unsupported plugins to cut corners to save very low $xx per month per server

Thanked by 1S3phy

• LunarLunar Member

Just want to add my 2 cents. Engintron is great and we recommend it to a lot of our customers at the DC I work at. Just because it's "unsupported" doesn't mean much. If you have a problem you can disable it in 1 click and make a bug report on GitHub. It's essentially the same kind of thing you'd have to do with any paid plugin/webserver anyways. And to assume something paid comes with less problems is silly. cPanel/WHM & Lightspeed have had their fair share of problems as well. You can also modify nearly every aspect of how Engintron functions, as the configs are all editable through the plugin's interface in WHM.

• k0nslk0nsl Member, Member without signature

Hm, just as @Clouvider already hinted, the ‘solution’ offered by @Jorbox will likely worsen the situation. I don't think @Jorbox understands the scenario, or...?

Thanked by 2Clouvider Junkless
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@k0nsl said:
    Hm, just as @Clouvider already hinted, the ‘solution’ offered by @Jorbox will likely worsen the situation. I don't think @Jorbox understands the scenario, or...?

Try it first then you will know if its better than the old man (full of errors) "litespeed" or not :)

edited July 2017

@Jorbox said:

@k0nsl said:

Try it first then you will know if its better than the old man (full of errors) "litespeed" or not :)

What are the reasonable grounds for one to try it in this scenario ?

I mean if I break my leg I can go to an optician, it might even be free if I go via NHS, not that he or she will help me with my broken leg.

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited July 2017

Francisco said: It's kinda like a captcha when you try to hit wp-login.php on our servers, it looks like https://dev.cpanelplatform.com/wp-login.php

I think it's for general wordpress bots. It's setting some cookie. I bet someone know how to write a simple bot can crack that thing also. I mean if someone wants to attack that particular domain specifically.

@pixahex said:

Francisco said: It's kinda like a captcha when you try to hit wp-login.php on our servers, it looks like https://dev.cpanelplatform.com/wp-login.php

I think it's for general wordpress bots. It's setting some cookie. I bet someone know how to write a simple bot can crack that thing also. I mean if someone wants to attack that particular domain specifically.

I have no doubt, but that doesn't mean someone is going to waste the energy on it for bruting us.

We tried Engintron and it was OK but had a lot of problems.

Francisco

• williewillie Member

Might be worth putting in an enhancement request about config loading to the Apache bug tracker.

#lexit spread the word.

@willie said:
    Might be worth putting in an enhancement request about config loading to the Apache bug tracker.

Maybe? We don't use apache on any of the servers so it's not a huge rush on my end :P

Francisco

• k0nslk0nsl Member, Member without signature

I have already tried a similar solution called nginxcp (or simply Nginx Admin) and every time the configuration changed or one added a new vhost it would take a rather long time for the webserver to restart since the configuration had to be rebuilt again. I suspect that the solution/software which you want us to test is using a similar mechanism -- in which case it would make it worse (in terms of the scenario told by Fran) than simply just using LSWS on its own.

@Jorbox said:

@k0nsl said:

Thanked by 1Clouvider

k0nsl said: Try it first then you will know if its better than the old man (full of errors) "litespeed" or not :)

Litespeed has its problems but they've fixed the ones I've been complaining about and things have been stable with it.

Engintron is also stable, but i had a lot of issues with Cloudflare, user IP's, and just Apache still sometimes going a bit mental with PHP. It had issues where it didn't detect new SSL's or domains which led to it taking a long time to apply them. We ran it on 2 - 3 nodes in hopes of it being a good alternative since Litespeed kept crashing for us, but it wasn't.

Litespeeds PHP is nice, and to be honest you can recompile cPanel's Apache with LSPHP, but I don't have the time/energy to screw around to see if that works.

Francisco

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Provider

All of the nginx cPanel plugins have the same issue. Engintron fixed SSL issue in the latest version.

Those plugins create more issue, so we removed and Happy using LiteSpeed now.

@Francisco said:

k0nsl said: Try it first then you will know if its better than the old man (full of errors) "litespeed" or not :)

Litespeed has its problems but they've fixed the ones I've been complaining about and things have been stable with it.

Engintron is also stable, but i had a lot of issues with Cloudflare, user IP's, and just Apache still sometimes going a bit mental with PHP. It had issues where it didn't detect new SSL's or domains which led to it taking a long time to apply them. We ran it on 2 - 3 nodes in hopes of it being a good alternative since Litespeed kept crashing for us, but it wasn't.

Litespeeds PHP is nice, and to be honest you can recompile cPanel's Apache with LSPHP, but I don't have the time/energy to screw around to see if that works.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Francisco Clouvider
    ExonHost - Reliable Web Hosting Service Provider | Managed SSD Xen VPS | OpenVZ VPS
    ResellWays - Budget Shared Hosting & Reseller Hosting
  • Francisco said: Litespeed forks a new parent process that loads the new configuration while the old process handles requests. Once it's done loading, the old master process falls off. It's all seamless now that they addressed the graceful restart fixes.

Thanks for the clarification. Though I wonder if OpenLiteSpeed uses the term "graceful restart" in the exact same way. Should try it on one of my servers to see.

Are you looking for some textual fun?

• @Francisco said:

@pixahex said:

I have no doubt, but that doesn't mean someone is going to waste the energy on it for bruting us.

Francisco

would using something also help with brute forcing https://smyl.es/how-to-block-wp-login-php-brute-logins-with-cpanel-mod-security-and-configserver-firewall/

@dragonballz2k said:

@Francisco said:

@pixahex said:

Francisco

would using something also help with brute forcing https://smyl.es/how-to-block-wp-login-php-brute-logins-with-cpanel-mod-security-and-configserver-firewall/

I tried all the mod_sec rules and they didn't want to play nice. I don't know if it was mod_security, litespeed, or me, that was at fault.

I prefer my setup, it deals with the issue before it even begins.

Francisco

@ramesh_vish said:

Francisco said: Litespeed forks a new parent process that loads the new configuration while the old process handles requests. Once it's done loading, the old master process falls off. It's all seamless now that they addressed the graceful restart fixes.

Thanks for the clarification. Though I wonder if OpenLiteSpeed uses the term "graceful restart" in the exact same way. Should try it on one of my servers to see.

I'm pretty sure that OpenLitespeed is the same code as the paid editions, just lacking things like cPanel integration, .htaccess support, Apache configuration parsing, etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider