Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

opinions: DS @ $99/m Singapore vs... Singapore KVM (??)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

opinions: DS @ $99/m Singapore vs... Singapore KVM (??)

seizureseizure Member

brain overload. input appreciated...

i'm currently using a bunch of OVZ SSD VPS for development use (various VPS at one provider for a total of 28GB).

i'm pretty certain that i'll get suspended if we push the OVZ VPS into production use, so i have been looking for something that will suit my budget... and Singapore location (it's an app with Singapore as its first test market)

OVH Singapore currently has a special offer DS for $99/month ( Intel Xeon E3-1245v5 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz 32GB DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz RAM + SSD).

i was planning on splitting up the dedicated server into an nginx load balancer, 1 gateway (4gb ram), 1 DB server (22gb ram), 1 rails app server (4gb ram).

that server will run me $1,200 a year.

on another provider, i will get an SSD 16gb ram VPS (probably not KVM because my budget cannot stretch so far) to add another backup load balancer (DNS failover use), 1 production use gateway (4gb ram), and 1 DB server replica (8gb ram).

for the VPS with 16gb ram i am budgeting about $500 a year (OVZ).

instead of a DS, am i better off using multiple KVMs? (the best deal i have found is 4c/8GB ram KVM server at $48/month).

at $99 the 32gb ram dedicated server seems like a good deal - but what's the catch?

are there any downsides to going dedicated that i'm not seeing? (administration of servers aside)

i'm worried the cheap DS will go kaput easily...?

what can i get for $1,700 that will fulfill the above needs? (about $140/month)

(i can't go down the CDN route because we're running DB servers.)

i've been looking and googling and searching here on LET/LEB for months now, and am beginning to go a little crazy.

TLDR:

i need a few Singapore servers for my mobile app.

OVH Singapore's $99/m DS - cheap! buyer beware?

instead of 1x DS (32gb ram) @ $1200/year + 1x OVZ (16gb ram) $500/year, would it be better to go multiple KVM?

however, it doesn't seem i can do so with $1,700/year.

any Singapore KVM deals around?

what would you recommend or advise?

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep

I am not sure if OVH has improved their network in that region but that would be the only downside. OVH is good overall if you don't need support, so if you know what you are doing there is nothing wrong with getting that dedi, it's a good deal.

Every cloud provider (DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr, etc.) will be more expensive but you would be able to start small and see how it goes. I am a Rail dev myself and most of my projects run just fine on 1GB RAM servers even on high load, so that might be an option as well.

• For a Singaporean market, if latency is somewhat important for your application, OVH may not be a good option. Currently, they only have good connectivity amongst the smaller ISPs and telcos (Viewqwest, MobileOne and MyRepublic), and connectivity to the two largest ISPs - StarHub and Singtel is really hit/miss - certain prefixes have good latency, most no - and it has been like this for several months now.

You have several options for KVM/OVZ VMs in Singapore - apart from the obvious cloud providers DigitalOcean, Vultr, Dediserve, you also have IndoVirtue/OneAsiaHost. Additionally, another company offering bare metal servers - Ready Server.

• seizureseizure Member
    edited July 2017

thanks for the input guys.

latency is very important but we are a mobile-only app, @boltersdriveer - do you think connectivity from OVH to singtel/starhub mobile networks are reasonably fast?

indovirtue is too pricey for us. a 2GB ram KVM is $45... (!)

i will check out dediserve. that's the only one on your list i have not looked at. thanks!

@nik - could you give me an idea of how many users you support on your 1gb ram servers? and are you running on OVZ?

we're running a noSQL server on the backend, planned in the initial stage for 10k then 20k concurrent uers.

i am very worried such a load will tax resources (we're using OVZ currently)... and the VPS provider will suspend our server(s) and the service and our reputation/users' goodwill goes down with it.

• i forgot to mention, in my search, i found usonyx offers DS at a very reasonable price - if you don't mind 2TBx2 HDDs. about $72/m for an E3 with 32GB ram - but prepaid one year in advance.

their offer did not suit us because of the HDDs, or it would be an option we would have seriously considered alongsie OVH's.

• Pheonixnap open up a Singapore location too you could also try them.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

Haven't had any problems with OVH SNG, I have a couple servers there now. Most latency issues within the region have been fixed from what I have seen in tests by clients.

• seizure said: latency is very important but we are a mobile-only app

It really depends on what your application is in the end...

MikeA said: Haven't had any problems with OVH SNG, I have a couple servers there now. Most latency issues within the region have been fixed from what I have seen in tests by clients.

Latency to much of East Asia (Korea, Japan, Taiwan) is still pretty bad. Philippines and some ISPs in Indonesia too.

edited July 2017

@Boltersdriveer said:

seizure said: latency is very important but we are a mobile-only app

MikeA said: Haven't had any problems with OVH SNG, I have a couple servers there now. Most latency issues within the region have been fixed from what I have seen in tests by clients.

Latency to much of East Asia (Korea, Japan, Taiwan) is still pretty bad. Philippines and some ISPs in Indonesia too.

I just tested and latency is 50-85~ms to all three you listed, so if you had problems before it may be fixed now. (I am not denying your issue, but if it was in the past you may want to test again now.)

• layfonlayfon Member

@MikeA said:

Boltersdriveer said:

I just tested and latency is 50-85~ms to all three you listed, so if you had problems before it may be fixed now. (I am not denying your issue, but if it was in the past you may want to test again now.)

http://sgp.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=APAC.AS9674
    http://sgp.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=APAC.AS9924
    And there's still a few 100+ ping for Japan on smokeping

Thanked by 1MikeA

@layfon said:

@MikeA said:

Boltersdriveer said:

http://sgp.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=APAC.AS9674
    http://sgp.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=APAC.AS9924
    And there's still a few 100+ ping for Japan on smokeping

Swiggity, I don't check their Smokeping, thanks.

• Do take a look at Leaseweb; they have infrastructure in singapore providing good latency to the area.

• Why don't you consider Google Cloud Computing ? They have server on singapore. And you can tweak the machine spec as you please and adjust your budget. I am pretty sure Google won't go kaput anywhere soon.

• MikeA said: I just tested and latency is 50-85~ms to all three you listed, so if you had problems before it may be fixed now. (I am not denying your issue, but if it was in the past you may want to test again now.)

Yeah, not really, if anything I'd think the routing actually got worse recently - presumably because the large ISPs here are trying to force OVH to buy from them I'd suppose. StarHub AS10091 used to have good latency, but now it's a minimum of 200ms as StarHub return route goes to US and back.

For Philippines (PLDT/Globe) and Singtel (AS9506), it's more sporadic but certain prefixes will have terrible latency whereas others are just perfectly fine.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@seizure drop us an email.

• seizureseizure Member
    edited August 2017

just to update this thread...

we've not made any decisions yet, but we are leaning towards using multiple leaseweb cloud (VPS) because OVH (DS) has rather low bandwidth (3TB - unlimited for $54/m more) and high overages.

• seizureseizure Member
    edited October 2017

further update... we went with an OVH 32GB xeon infrastructure server + a backup node in the form of a dell poweredge xeon self-hosted within singapore on a business static IP 1gbps fibre connection (99.95% SLA).

there's air-conditioning for our dell but it does not have a UPS (yet)... and i'm not sure how reliable the internet connection is because i read regularly about cables getting cut in singapore, but it'll have to do for now.

to get to this point, there's been a lot of sweat and tears and the end goal is no where in sight... hopefully we'll get there.

no singapore-based DS provider was able to quote us rates for an SSD-based server of a decent config below $3000/year (USD) and all were keen to upsell rubbish service contracts and charge very steep setup fees and provide only a 100mbps connection.

at that price, we decided self-hosting was a cheaper option in the long run.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

You just need to ensure that the person you are communicating with is the boss of that company otherwise you have more to worry when the person has been terminated from the company.

Do encrypt your data in your backup server.