Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net - Windows 2016 will not start after installing Hyper-V role - boot device error.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net - Windows 2016 will not start after installing Hyper-V role - boot device error.

myhkenmyhken Member
edited July 2017 in General

I got a MD DEALS 1701.1 server from online.net - and I some serious issues with the server.
The server come with RAID 1 - and I did use one of my Win Server 2016 templates to install Windows Server 2016.
No issues installing the template, and no issue getting Windows Server 2016 working after the reboot. Did install some software on my server, rebooted several times, no issues at all.
Then I installed the Hyper-V role, and after the reboot, Windows crash and I could not get it to start again. In ILO I could see that Windows just got in to a reboot loop.

Then I tried to install Windows directly from .iso file via ILO (KVM). No issues at all, Windows installs fine, starts up, and working fine like last time. But as soon as I install the Hyper-V role, it's crash after the reboot.

OK, maybe some RAID issue...so I did remove the hardware RAID, and just used the two disks as single disks.
This time I did just install Windows from .iso file directly from ILO (KVM).
But again, after the reboot, it's just gets into a reboot loop, with BOOT device error.

I have used both my template file and the .iso file (from MSDN) on several servers from Hetzner and OVH (and also Kimsufi) without any issues. So why do this happen on online.net?

I have tried to install the latest broadcom netxtreme gigabit ethernet driver from HP (it's a HP server), but that did not help either.

I sometimes get this red screen when booting:

online.net has checked my disk for errors, but no errors found.

So any ideas? Or should I just cancel the server?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2017

If you have a legitimate windows server 2016 license, perhaps you can try contacting microsoft's tech support?

edit: Also try upgrading the motherboard's BIOS to the latest available version and see if hardware virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, if there is such an option.
    Could also try windows server 2012. The windows server 2016 license also allows you to install previous versions.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@rds100 said:
    If you have a legitimate windows server 2016 license, perhaps you can try contacting microsoft's tech support?

edit: Also try upgrading the motherboard's BIOS to the latest available version and see if hardware virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, if there is such an option.

I do of course have a legit Windows Server license, but I can't image this is a Windows error. I have done this on so many servers now, and have never had any issues at all.
    I'm using Windows Server with Hyper-V on all my servers.

I have also checked the BIOS and HW virtualization is enabled.

I can see this error in BIOS under startup, this can't be normal?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

have you tried to repair the system partition ? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824874.aspx

Was Windows updated when you added the Hyper-V role?

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited July 2017

mikho said: Was Windows updated when you added the Hyper-V role?

One of the times, yes, all the others no, since I do not want to waste time doing the updates when it just crash again. But the first time it was completely updated.

It do start in Safe mode, so I can try to repair the system partition there. But still, why do this happen just on this online.net server?

I have tried 5 installs now, two with RAID and three without RAID and all get the same error.
    Just installed a Hetzner server last week with the same setup, and no issues at all. Like all my other setups.
    And yes, I also did to a clean install of my OVH server from KVM using the same .iso file last week, no issues at all installing Hyper-V role on that server either.

I noticed a support article on the Hyper-V role "updated" a system file to a broken one. The solution was that MS published an update to fix it. Thats why I asked if it was updated or not.

It usually is the NIC drivers that causes most problems when Hyper-V is involved. It could be that the NIC is not supported.

Have you checked that your server is on the HAL list of supported hardware? I know I've had to go back several versions when installing VSphere on older hardware.

• myhkenmyhken Member

mikho said: It usually is the NIC drivers that causes most problems when Hyper-V is involved. It could be that the NIC is not supported.

That was my guess also, so on installation 3 and forward, I have downloaded and installed the latest NIC drivers I could found for this server.
    Still, why I get a boot device error and a reboot loop from a wrong NIC driver...I don't know.

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 now, and will try to see if I get Hyper-V to work there.

• erwinerwin Member

Hi.
    You have to disable vt-d in bios. There are some issues with the hp gen8 servers....

• myhkenmyhken Member

@erwin said:
    Hi.
    You have to disable vt-d in bios. There are some issues with the hp gen8 servers....

No I have not. Just tested with Windows Server 2012 R2 and it works just fine after adding the Hyper-V role.
    So it must be a Server 2016 issue.

Do you think disable vt-d affects just Server 2016?

• Don't know about server 2016 but can confirm boot problems with hp gen6 and gen8 servers with vt-d enabled. (xen/win2012r2)

• We have some HP Gen8 servers with us.

Hyper-V works just fine with I350 and H220i and vt-d enabled.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

Got an reply back from online.net now, and they say that the server is too old for Windows Server 2016.
    The strange thing is that Server 2016 works fine on their server, so long you don't need Hyper-V installed. Of course, there can be other roles/features that also make the server crash that I have not tested.

• erwinerwin Member
    edited July 2017

I had exactly the same problem, and disabling the vt-d solved it.
    Details: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML310e-Gen8-V2-with-Server-2016-Hyper-V/td-p/6912878

btw. most of the drivers/software listed on hp supportpage for our server is compatible with server 2016, but you need to filter for server 2012r2. in the detail page of the software package you will find server 2016 as supported os. i really don't understand why hp is not showing the software if you filter for server 2016...

Thanked by 1NanoG6

@erwin said:
    i really don't understand why hp is not showing the software if you filter for server 2016...

Because the driver isn't tested/certified. Drivers for older OS might work but there is no guarantee.

@myhken said:
    Got an reply back from online.net now, and they say that the server is too old for Windows Server 2016.
    The strange thing is that Server 2016 works fine on their server, so long you don't need Hyper-V installed. Of course, there can be other roles/features that also make the server crash that I have not tested.

Thats why I asked if you have checked if it was compatible.

• myhkenmyhken Member

Just an update, did install Win2016 again today, and with vt-d disabled in BIOS, there was no issues adding the Hyper-V role. So thank you for that info.