Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small town transit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small town transit

Subzero08Subzero08 Member
edited July 2017 in General

I stay in a small town in the middle of nowhere about 11 miles from civilization. We have Comcast in the little city we have but we don't have any wifi or phone service out where we live. We have maybe 20 houses and probably 30 trailers. We have a guy that offers us internet for about $150/month for 50meg how can I figure out who he is using and get my own internet for cheaper and supply some of my friends as well. I think he is just piggybacking off of Comcast and made his own name for whatever he is selling. Does anyone know what he's doing? Or how I can get some cheap internet or wifi for my buddies and myself. I know it should be way cheaper than $150 for 50megs.

Comments

• How the fuck are we supposed to know lmao?

• EdmondEdmond Member

I personally got no idea but you could get the unlimited data plans from TMobile and use that for internet?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ubiquiti

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Lookup the ASN that it's being provided over. If you give us a traceroute from the connection to anywhere outside the network we should be able to tell you.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • shellshell Member

maybe backhauling via wireless to nearest city

• Subzero08 said: I know it should be way cheaper than $150 for 50megs.

I don't know what that means. If you're talking traffic, then yes, that's a bit pricey. If you're talking bandwidth then it's a good deal and I'd go for that any day. I live in a place that sounds similar to yours (probably 30 subscribers) and pay about $60/mo for bandwidth up to 3.5 Mbps (uplink same) and 150 GB traffic limit. That's for wireless and nothing else (except satellite) is feasible here.

BTW, just so you know, the word "megs" is meaningless without some reference to something or other. I'm assuming you mean Mbps.

• im_jmzim_jmz Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    If you're talking bandwidth then it's a good deal and I'd go for that any day. I live in a place that sounds similar to yours (probably 30 subscribers) and pay about $60/mo for bandwidth up to 3.5 Mbps (uplink same) and 150 GB traffic limit.

Jesus. I hate Comcast but sometimes feel lucky when people talk about what they're forced to pay... I pay $65 for 75/10 and that's with some HBO shit they threw in. Just signed up for fiber with a local company and in a few months it'll be $60 for 100/25.

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • @im_jmz said:

@Ole_Juul said:
    If you're talking bandwidth then it's a good deal and I'd go for that any day. I live in a place that sounds similar to yours (probably 30 subscribers) and pay about $60/mo for bandwidth up to 3.5 Mbps (uplink same) and 150 GB traffic limit.

Jesus. I hate Comcast but sometimes feel lucky when people talk about what they're forced to pay... I pay $65 for 75/10 and that's with some HBO shit they threw in. Just signed up for fiber with a local company and in a few months it'll be $60 for 100/25.

So your new company is going to run fiber to your home?

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • im_jmzim_jmz Member

Just gotta wait for them to tap it and run the line to my home, yes.

We had a very local company start offering fiber in the center of town and a few select areas, then they were bought out/merged and the area has been expanding rapidly. The main fiber run, judging from their map, is like a stones throw away from me.

It used to be only Comcast and CenturyLink in town, and the DSL offered by CL blows. They kept saying there was an issue on the line but 2-3 techs couldn't fix it -- they don't want to dump money into fixing up their old, janky ass equipment. Comcast instituted a datacap, and I already blew through one courtesy month by uploading 350GB of backups. I was on an email list for the fiber company, and they finally said they were in this area soon and taking presales so I signed up.

No datacaps, no limits, constant 100/25 speed. I also mentioned I would like to run a few home servers for personal usage, OpenVPN, SSH, etc and they said that's fine. No fucks given. Unlike Comcast, who wants you on a business line for that extra cash.

F*** Comcast. Glad to see other alternatives cropping up.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Can get 500 up and down for 45 euros a month here. Long live European internet.

• The problem with small towns is that if they're not already on a cable or fiber line on the way to some bigger place, then radio is the only solution. Running a dedicated line (fiber, cable, DSL) will never, ever, pay for itself unless there are lots of subscribers. Basically you construct a tower somewhere and establish a radio link for your backhaul and you go from there.

• cociucociu Member

if have fiber near of you , you can try to ask for a darkfiber transport and buy cheap and sell to your town.

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I would ask yourself this, how many people of those 50 houses/trailers actually care about having internet over 10Mbps? Unless you plan to lose money for a very long time you should just deal with it or move elsewhere that has fiber/cable already.

• @cociu said:
    if have fiber near of you , you can try to ask for a darkfiber transport and buy cheap and sell to your town.

I'd need to see if any dark fiber is around me. The companies that are closest are Comcast and logix.

• @Subzero08 said:
    I stay in a small town in the middle of nowhere about 11 miles from civilization. We have Comcast in the little city we have but we don't have any wifi or phone service out where we live. We have maybe 20 houses and probably 30 trailers. We have a guy that offers us internet for about $150/month for 50meg how can I figure out who he is using and get my own internet for cheaper and supply some of my friends as well. I think he is just piggybacking off of Comcast and made his own name for whatever he is selling. Does anyone know what he's doing? Or how I can get some cheap internet or wifi for my buddies and myself. I know it should be way cheaper than $150 for 50megs.

What do you see when you go to something like speedtest.net or Whatsmyip.org and click more info? Do you see the name of your provider? if so then its most likley legit. If you see Comcast theres a big chance they're reselling illegally.

• Subzero08 said: how can I figure out who he is using

Where I live a traceroute tells everything about where things are coming from. It goes from me to my ISP, to an intermediate company which is part of the larger company that is selling bandwidth to my ISP. It's pretty clear. Perhaps that works where you live too.

• Subzero08Subzero08 Member
    edited July 2017

@HuntersPad said:

@Subzero08 said:

What do you see when you go to something like speedtest.net or Whatsmyip.org and click more info? Do you see the name of your provider? if so then its most likley legit. If you see Comcast theres a big chance they're reselling illegally.

@Ole_Juul said:

Subzero08 said: how can I figure out who he is using

Where I live a traceroute tells everything about where things are coming from. It goes from me to my ISP, to an intermediate company which is part of the larger company that is selling bandwidth to my ISP. It's pretty clear. Perhaps that works where you live too.

It's leading back to Comcast but Comcast tells us they don't have service this far out.

• Subzero08 said: It's leading back to Comcast but Comcast tells us they don't have service this far out.

So they don't. Just like my ISP isn't part of who they're buying from. Who owns the IPs?

• Is this good pricing from Comcast 100mbps up and 100mbps down with 60IPv4 for $1,110/month? From Comcast.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@Subzero08 said:
    Is this good pricing from Comcast 100mbps up and 100mbps down with 60IPv4 for $1,110/month? From Comcast.

If you were running a mini datacenter at home with all those IP addresses, probably... :)

Otherwise why the heck would you need 60 IPs at home??

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:
    Is this good pricing from Comcast 100mbps up and 100mbps down with 60IPv4 for $1,110/month? From Comcast.

If you were running a mini datacenter at home with all those IP addresses, probably... :)

Have you read any posts in the thread lol

• EdmondEdmond Member

@MikeA said:

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

Well what's he going to do with all the IP addresses even if he gets the connection to his house. He doesn't have 59 other friends right? But it's probably cheaper depending on how many people the connection gets split up with, since it did say that he wanted to supply some of his friends as well.

• @Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

The IPs were free but just wanted to be sure they weren't trying to hem me up for the speeds.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@Subzero08 said:

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

The IPs were free but just wanted to be sure they weren't trying to hem me up for the speeds.

It's $1,110/month, either they're charging a lot for a distance connection or they need to recover the cost for the IP addresses.

edited July 2017

@cociu said:

What do you mean by dark fiber?

Comcast agreed to build me fiber to my building for $8,500 (7 miles) the connection will include 60 IPs but I'm not sure how to connect my friends.

From my building each of my friends houses are structured like a trailer park and we have a small apartment complex and some trailers.

@Edmond said:

@MikeA said:

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

Well what's he going to do with all the IP addresses even if he gets the connection to his house. He doesn't have 59 other friends right? But it's probably cheaper depending on how many people the connection gets split up with, since it did say that he wanted to supply some of his friends as well.

I'm trying to supply the folks around me with reasonable internet besides the jackass that's selling illegal internet and charging them way more than it's worth.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@Subzero08 said:

@cociu said:

Comcast agreed to build me fiber to my building for $8,500 (7 miles) the connection will include 60 IPs but I'm not sure how to connect my friends.

From my building each of my friends houses are structured like a trailer park and we have a small apartment complex and some trailers.

@Edmond said:

@MikeA said:

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

I'm trying to supply the folks around me with reasonable internet besides the jackass that's selling illegal internet and charging them way more than it's worth.

Than it might be worth the amount of money it cost since if it's split up, price is reasonable, but the internet connection wouldn't be fast after it is split, it's the distance that cost money...

How far are the people around you?

edited July 2017

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

@cociu said:

@Edmond said:

@MikeA said:

@Edmond said:

@Subzero08 said:

Than it might be worth the amount of money it cost since if it's split up, price is reasonable, but the internet connection wouldn't be fast after it is split, it's the distance that cost money...

How far are the people around you?

From the building where the fiber will go into each house and trailer has to be all in 1-2 mile range all compact together. It's a small resident funded community in the middle of nowhere.

• If you PM me your location I can take a look and give you a rough estimate what you would need in terms of wireless gear to get something like this functional.

• @MrObvious said:
    If you PM me your location I can take a look and give you a rough estimate what you would need in terms of wireless gear to get something like this functional.

I pmed you the address.

• EdmondEdmond Member

You probably could get it working with wireless repeaters, depending on how far each person is to another but I'm not too sure...

Is Comcast putting you on their business plans or something? Otherwise you aren't legally allow to resell their stuff, but who's there to watch anyway... I wonder if it's cheaper to get IP transit from some cheap business internet company like Hurricane Electric, but it all depends on where the PoPs are..