Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you get customers who sign up, and then immediately request cancellation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you get customers who sign up, and then immediately request cancellation?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Since releasing our latest promo, we've had a large number of regsitrations. Some of these registrations have resulted in a near instant cancellation request. Reasons given are somewhat unusual.

Does anyone else see this sometimes? Is this some sort of, buy it, test it, and cancel and hope for a refund ploy?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Constantly. Sometimes ordering multiple packages and then requesting large refunds all at once. For me I've always suspected it was because I use cPanel and the initial impression is "I can install cPanel myself, this isn't a real service."

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What are the reasons being given?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

jarland said: For me I've always suspected it was because I use cPanel and the initial impression is "I can install cPanel myself, this isn't a real service."

Well my most recent offer was a $7 VPS. No pre-sales query, just sign up, and by the time I've received the order email, I receive a cancellation email.

Nekki said: What are the reasons being given?

Normally no reason at all, or something silly like:

"Bad SSH connection to USA"

Or just unintelligible gibberish. Sometimes they actually say 'Nothing' for the reason. I don't mean they are not saying anything, they literally type "Nothing" as the reason.

It is completely bizzar. Some just ask straight up for refunds, despite many notices (including on the pages where the product is advertised or can be ordered), I clearly state that the service is non-refundable unless there is an actual fault with the service, and changing your mind does not count as a fault.

What kinds of people are these?

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

Yes, we have some, customers that do not understand VPS, customer that buy the wrong Virtualization and cancel because can not install Windows and yes we have received some unusual reason like this one "the service is just too hostile to a human"

Ole_Juul said: Bear in mind that 50% of the population is below average intelligence.

Actually I would imagine that number to be far larger than 50%.

Like wealth, intelligence is probably highly concentrated, and they bring the overall average way up.

What do they say, the top 1% have more wealth than the bottom 50%? You wouldn't call anyone in the 51st percentile to be average right?

Seems reasonable for me to assume that probably far more than 50% are below average intelligence...

Thanked by 2maldovia WebProject
  • @randvegeta said:
    Or just unintelligible gibberish. Sometimes they actually say 'Nothing' for the reason. I don't mean they are not saying anything, they literally type "Nothing" as the reason.

Can't leave the box blank iirc, so that might be the reason for "nothing"

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited June 2017

you guys should making signing up harder. keeps the non-committed ones away :)

• HeeroHeero Member

For me I'd need VPS at first, then I signed up, soon realized no need. If then, I just cancel immediately (no request refund at all). I don't like remaining the service I don't use.

• williewillie Member

I haven't done it yet but have figured it I need a vps for one month, I'd order it and immediately cancel effective at end of billing period, so I wouldn't forget to cancel afterward.

I spun up a DO server a while back to test something and then forgot to spin it down, so it ran up billing for more than a month before I noticed it was still running. Not a super expensive instance and I'm still on free credit, but still it was around $20 worth gone. Oh well.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited June 2017

I actually have canceled service within hours of signing up. The reason is because after research I saw that the provider had terrible downtimes. To combat this, you will need to set up an alert to monitor for your business name in google.

After you get an alert, you can sign up and respond to the multiple forums that are around the internet. As it will only take one bad experience from a well-known member in a forum to change someone's opinion.

While this approach should not be used to be combative it may be an approach to combat negative or false information. God bless you!

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/4815696?hl=en

• cociucociu Member

i have some of this too.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

Our top 3 reasons behind such cancellations:

• "Ordered by mistake"
    • "I can't install Windows on Linux VPS"
    • "No time to manage"
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I get is significantly less now than I used to, it was almost every other day though before I stopped taking new orders from China.

• chrispchrisp Member

@endlesslhk said:
    For me I'd need VPS at first, then I signed up, soon realized no need. If then, I just cancel immediately (no request refund at all). I don't like remaining the service I don't use.

Same here. Typical LET illness. "Nice, Netherlands VPS for 8$ a year. WOW, IPv4 included" -> order

I do have most of my yearlies for one year only, because I simply don't need them. And also I never request refunds, because I don't want to bother providers with my shit. Providers, is it even a problem for you if people cancel their stuff without actually bugging you with refunds?

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited June 2017

AnthonySmith said: before I stopped taking new orders from China.

Really? This market is huge. 1.3 billion people, many of whom just got their first computer and are learnin' things on this here interconnectednet of tubes.

• williewillie Member

jiggawattz said: ust got their first computer and are learnin' things on this here interconnectednet of tubes.

I gotta say cheap VPS's aren't a good choice for the inexperienced.

Thanked by 1switsys

@chrisp said:

@endlesslhk said:

Same here. Typical LET illness. "Nice, Netherlands VPS for 8$ a year. WOW, IPv4 included" -> order

I do have most of my yearlies for one year only, because I simply don't need them. And also I never request refunds, because I don't want to bother providers with my shit. Providers, is it even a problem for you if people cancel their stuff without actually bugging you with refunds?

no if you don't ask for a refund that's fine I guess.

But with people from China, I half expect them to just go straight for chargeback.

• quickquick Member
    edited June 2017

No time to explain..

• Same thing happens here, most common reason is "no longer needed" while they just ordered, and most of the orders comes from China is like that.

jiggawattz said: Really? This market is huge. 1.3 billion people, many of whom just got their first computer and are learnin' things on this here interconnectednet of tubes.

Indeed, I assure you it was not a decision I took lightly, I actually mulled it over and gave it thought for over 2 years before doing it but in reality 80%+ of all sign ups resulted in a refund, a dispute or an abuse report or was resource abusive due to running game bots, traffic bots, or some other free money bot and the number of these cases was just growing.

I belive the service has been made better for everyone due to this decision.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    Constantly. Sometimes ordering multiple packages and then requesting large refunds all at once. For me I've always suspected it was because I use cPanel and the initial impression is "I can install cPanel myself, this isn't a real service."

You need to cook own simple skin and disable like 99% features, call it JarPanel Powered by MXRoute :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Clouvider said:

@jarland said:

You need to cook own simple skin and disable like 99% features, call it JarPanel Powered by MXRoute :)

Primary deterrent is that darn subdomain per addon domain requirement. Just gonna do a new front end using the API :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@AnthonySmith said:

jiggawattz said: Really? This market is huge. 1.3 billion people, many of whom just got their first computer and are learnin' things on this here interconnectednet of tubes.

Indeed, I assure you it was not a decision I took lightly, I actually mulled it over and gave it thought for over 2 years before doing it but in reality 80%+ of all sign ups resulted in a refund, a dispute or an abuse report or was resource abusive due to running game bots, traffic bots, or some other free money bot and the number of these cases was just growing.

I belive the service has been made better for everyone due to this decision.

That is most distressing. I'll probably limit special offers to BTC from now on then. won't have to deal with such BS.

• bersybersy Member

What country is the most loyal customers from?

for me, funnily enough, it is Indonesia .. even though MaxMind likes to mark it as a high-risk country.

• I have cancelled VPS within hours/minutes of signing up back in my VPS addiction days. THE RUSH of a new VPS and then the immediate regret!...

JoeMerit said: I have cancelled VPS within hours/minutes of signing up back in my VPS addiction days. THE RUSH of a new VPS and then the immediate regret!...

Do you also ask for a refund?

• rds100rds100 Member

AnthonySmith said: for me, funnily enough, it is Indonesia .. even though MaxMind likes to mark it as a high-risk country.

Perhaps they know that it is very hard for them to sign up elsewhere and realize that it is a privilege to be your customer?

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith bersy
  • @quick said:
    No time to explain..

Hahahahha this one was funny.

But yes people do it, and some times because theu did not get what they was expecting.

Like for a $15/year vps. First they buy it in exicitment, later they realize they don't need or wont meet their expectations.