Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who would be interested in testing VirtEngine On-premise?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who would be interested in testing VirtEngine On-premise?

DETioDETio Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

Hey LET,

We've been patching bugs and adding lots of amazing features this year. - Our platform is still 'late beta' and most if not all of the serious bugs have been eliminated.

We'd love to get some testing done by the community in order to find the last bugs that may affect production or user experience and also suggest new features that we may have missed to implement.

We're looking for providers whom are interested in switching their current platform in the future (or new companies looking to offer cloud services), and would like to seriously test our platform to see if it is viable alternative for them.

Our team will install all the components required, our minimum system requirements must be met (1 Hypervisor Node, and 1 Master VM)

Some of our latest features that we have added include:

• Cloning VM's through using our backup functionality, by taking a backup and launching it.
  • Downloading backups locally, and uploading backups to the system.
  • Attaching additional networks (IP's to your VM)
  • Snapshot functionality - Snapshot is different to backups that it only stores the Operating Systems state (network configuration files, etc.)
  • Adding users manually from the admin portal.
  • Added various control panel one-click applications such as VestaCP, Webmin, ISPConfig

All of the functionality currently supported has been tested on KVM, however we have not conducted testing on Xen or LXC - if you'd like to test Xen that'll be great for us so we can make sure all the functionality works on that too.

If you're interested - feel free to reply to this thread, or contact us directly @ [email protected]

Thanks,
Jonathan P

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

DETio said: We're looking for providers whom are interested in switching their current platform

Do you have a migration process?

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@DETio said:
    snip

we hope you are offering a easy migration path from solusvm to your product because if we have to manually migrate everything again all of our xen vm's and everything again from moving from virtualizor->solusvm again neither us or any provider will be happy with that and say it is too much work to do that all manually again.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited June 2017

AnthonySmith said: Do you have a migration process?

Currently it can be done manually with our team, we're still working on the automated migration tool.

There's three parts to the migration of VM's from an existing platform to VE which include:

• Importing VM's into OpenNebula (Import WildVM's)

• Linking Wild VM's with VE User Accounts

• Linking WHMCS Orders with VE Instances

The automated migration tool will allow you to install VE Ontop of your current deployment and do the above automatically, allowing you to use both panels side-by-side so you are able to test the functionality before switching off your original panel.

Note - When importing wild VM's, OpenNebula can then send commands to the hypervisor to control the VM, thus no downtime is required and control is not lost by the original control panel thus testing can be done to ensure no issues occur prior to disabling the original control panel.

cubedata said: we hope you are offering a easy migration path from solusvm to your product

Yes we are planning to implement a solution that is seamless and doesn't require any work by the provider.

• I'd like to check it out for a cloud platform in the making. I was looking into another solution but if you are offering a sort of trial I'll take a look.

• DETioDETio Member

Subzero08 said: I'd like to check it out for a cloud platform in the making. I was looking into another solution but if you are offering a sort of trial I'll take a look.

Hey Subzero, thanks for the interest - I've sent you a DM with more information.

seriously opennebula itself offers adding in existing vm's I wish I had known that sooner I could have replaced solusvm with opennebula and my own provisioning system by now lol thanks for letting me know that as now all I need to do is put the opennebula xen driver in there as well and see how this works

• DETioDETio Member

@cubedata said:
    seriously opennebula itself offers adding in existing vm's I wish I had known that sooner I could have replaced solusvm with opennebula and my own provisioning system by now lol thanks for letting me know that as now all I need to do is put the opennebula xen driver in there as well and see how this works

Yup, the functionality has existed for a while. OpenNebula is really powerful and supports a lot more features than people think.

• When you release VirtEngine, do I have to pay any fee if I keep the platform running?

Does VirtEngine support NAT VPS? Thanks.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2017

windytime90 said: When you release VirtEngine, do I have to pay any fee if I keep the platform running?

We have a free OpenSource edition you can run if you'd like to build a private cloud. Private Cloud doesn't integrate any form of billing with WHMCS - https://virtengine.com/products/opensource.html

Our Public Cloud editions (Minified/Complete) comes with monthly licensing fees, support, and installation. For Open Source you have to follow our Documentation and you can use the Forums to receive support from our team.

Does VirtEngine support NAT VPS? Thanks.

Not currently supported however we support IPv6 and Private IPv4/v6 if IP's are a concern.

• DETioDETio Member

Also for anyone interested to have a look at how our Automated Launcher will look like:

It utilizes Rancher's Open Source technology to deploy and manage OpenNebula based containers as well as launching VirtEngine and connecting the both.

• Up to... what?

Because if i start to pay 50c ea for our 1200GB RAM now (thus 600$/mo) i do myself a very bad service compared to pay my default ROI (24mo) that (~15k) for a Proxmox based thing...

WIll that work with my existing CEPH as Proxmox does? Not interested in VT solution handling storage, not interested in local storage either.

CentOS based hosts? Highly prefer Debian.

Templates for OS?

v6 support including subnets?

A way for me to integrate BGP offering to customers?

I have 3 servers unused that could be clustered HA (2 HP production, 1 dev i7, all on 10G), not interested in Xen (and not much in LXC) but i'd use KVM heavily.

Currently Proxmox, looking to either replace that or get a LOT of custom code to fix the template things and a working billing solution linked.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2017

@William said:

Up to... what?

Because if i start to pay 50c ea for our 1200GB RAM now (thus 600$/mo) i do myself a very bad service compared to pay my default ROI (24mo) that (~15k) for a Proxmox based thing...

It's up-to 64GB ram, maximum price is $32/mo/node for Complete & $16/mo/node for Minified.

CentOS based hosts? Highly prefer Debian.

Currently VirtEngine itself supports Ubuntu with highest priority on updates, CentOS generally come after - Debian will be included in the near future.

However you can still use Debian for your KVM Nodes, as OpenNebula supports it.

WIll that work with my existing CEPH as Proxmox does? Not interested in VT solution handling storage, not interested in local storage either.

Ceph is supported and yes you'll be able to integrate your existing Ceph setup to use with OpenNebula.

Templates for OS?

>

Most OS's are supported off that bat, we can add new Templates as required from the OpenNebula marketplace which supports a wide range of images.

Also new Application Templates can easily be created by using Lua: https://github.com/megamsys/gru

As well as by launching a VM, making changes to the VM by installing a specific application and then packaging that VM into a Template and adding it to the marketplace.

v6 support including subnets?

Currently users can select the number of v6 IP's they want to add: as per your suggestion we will add support to attaching a Subnet instead for V6 with a dropdown of the v6 size as that is more reasonable in this scenario.

A way for me to integrate BGP offering to customers?

This isn't supported at the moment, if you have an integration of offering BGP with WHMCS - then you can utilize WHMCS for that purpose, as VE integrates Seamlessly with WHMCS where users can navigate between both applications in just one click.

I have 3 servers unused that could be clustered HA (2 HP production, 1 dev i7, all on 10G), not interested in Xen (and not much in LXC) but i'd use KVM heavily.

KVM Is tested and our go-to recommendation for any user.

Currently Proxmox, looking to either replace that or get a LOT of custom code to fix the template things and a working billing solution linked.

VirtEngine is designed for the user in mind, we provide an intuitive panel for the customer to launch and manage their resources in one area. While integrating nicely with WHMCS, we're looking to implement VE with Blesta and so forth in the future.

Another reason you might find VE a better choice to Proxmox is the ability to launch docker containers directly from hub.docker.com all from within the UI without the need to use a CLI.

• What's wrong with just using OpenNebula instead of paying for your panel?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2017

doghouch said: What's wrong with just using OpenNebula instead of paying for your panel?

You can use OpenNebula directly, but you'll lose some of the functionality:

• No Direct billing solution implemented (OpenNebula releases reports on VM usage so you can integrate it with your own billing solution however)
    • No hourly billing implemented, you can create accounts with specific resources however.
    • When launching VM's, users cannot select a password (they need to use SSH keys)
    • When managing VM's, users cannot reset passwords.
    • Users cannot launch One-Click based applications as they can with VE.
    • VirtEngine also comes with a Platform-as-a-Service system that allows you to manage applications lifecycle, including Deploying Code, Continous Integration with git, and in the future AutoScaling.
    • Monitoring VM statistics is not in real-time, and graphs are very brief.
    • Users won't be able to launch Docker Containers
    • Users won't have access to Object Storage functionality.
    • OpenNebula support comes at it's own cost as Open Source generally does.
    • Users cannot add additional IP's post launching. Unless an admin does, or they are given admin view.
    • OpenNebula doesn't support bandwidth limitations. So users can possibly abuse the service.
    Thanked by 1alown

@DETio said:

doghouch said: What's wrong with just using OpenNebula instead of paying for your panel?

You can use OpenNebula directly, but you'll lose some of the functionality:

• No Direct billing solution implemented (OpenNebula releases reports on VM usage so you can integrate it with your own billing solution however)

wrong our opennebula blesta & whmcs provisioning module integrates directly with opennebula's xmlrpc api to create/provision/suspend/terminate/etc vm's and we have a owned license for our modules so there is no added cost besides support/upgrades after initial year of purchase. so do not try to skew the facts and claim the only way of actually using opennebula without your panel isn't possible.

• @DETio Meh, it's really not that hard to launch Docker containers through CLI. Then again, it's for convenience I guess.

• DETioDETio Member

cubedata said: so do not try to skew the facts and claim the only way of actually using opennebula without your panel isn't possible.

I said 'no direct billing solution implemented' not 'there are no 3rd party plugins for opennebula'.

Thanked by 2alown iKeyZ
  • DETioDETio Member

doghouch said: @DETio Meh, it's really not that hard to launch Docker containers through CLI. Then again, it's for convenience I guess.

I agree, it's not hard but some users might not be very familiar with how to operate CLI's - or others might simply not be familiar with Docker and are interested to explore it. So yes it is mainly for convenience and usability.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • FireVPSFireVPS Member, Patron Provider

Most provider use WHMCS and Solus VM. I am confused about virtengine. If anyone want to migrate to virtengine then he will get both solus vm and whmcs functionality in virtengine? Can you please explain this? How/Where customers will order?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • @reseller2host said:
    Most provider use WHMCS and Solus VM. I am confused about virtengine. If anyone want to migrate to virtengine then he will get both solus vm and whmcs functionality in virtengine? Can you please explain this? How/Where customers will order?

Thanks.

Necro :(

• @reseller2host said:

Thanks.

Customer can either order through VirtEngine or WHMCS.
    VirtEngine is On-demand (Hourly) and WHMCS is Prepay (Monthly, etc). For On-demand, you'll need to have 'Credits'.

A previous VirtEngine Customer.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@reseller2host said:

Thanks.

That is your question and you have a provider tag? what?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Secured why previous ?

• SecuredSecured Member
    edited October 2017

@Clouvider said:
    @Secured why previous ?

Having National Service in my Country and business isn't earning much for VPS/Cloud, hence decided to stop.

Their product is good overall. Just that their billing really needs to be improved.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @reseller2host said:

Thanks.

Hello Reseller2Host,

VirtEngine integrates with WHMCS, users can register an account from either WHMCS or VirtEngine and their account will be linked together. They can then navigate between WHMCS/VirtEngine in one click, users can also add credit to use in VirtEngine - or purchase resources on a quota basis.

Thanks,
    Jonathan P