Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest provider for an SSD VPS + large HDD storage combo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest provider for an SSD VPS + large HDD storage combo?

cb7cb7 Member

I want a VPS that runs the OS on an SSD, but which will allow me to mount additional storage. Frankly I'm amazed that so few providers seem to offer this sort of thing. Or rather that there's so little demand for it, seeing as demand creates the market. I'd have thought it'd be ideal for seedboxes, Plex servers and whatnot.

DO and Vultr both offer additional storage but it's SSD based so is a lot more expensive. And every provider I've come across that offers "storage VPS'" is entirely HDD-based.

With Hetzner I'm currently paying about €10.50/month for a VPS and 500GB storage. Are there any other services I should look into for a similar or cheaper amount?

Cheers!

Comments

• cb7 said: With Hetzner I'm currently paying about €10.50/month for a VPS and 500GB storage. Are there any other services I should look into for a similar or cheaper amount?

10.5 is not bad for sharing linux ISO.

When you check for cheap dedicated server and reliable, you can look at Hetzner, OVH(with kimsufi) and online.net (maybe ikoula). If you don't found here, you have to rise your budget.

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited June 2017

ZXHost @AshleyUK just added this feature to their $48/yr 1T KVM plan. 100G local OS disk plus 1T Ceph network drive.

[edit: looks like the 100G is also on Ceph, but allows I/O to the 1T volume to not disrupt OS operation]

[edit: add link]

• cb7cb7 Member

@seanho said:
    ZXHost @AshleyUK just added this feature to their $48/yr 1T KVM plan. 100G local OS disk plus 1T Ceph network drive.

[edit: looks like the 100G is also on Ceph, but allows I/O to the 1T volume to not disrupt OS operation]

Hi, thanks for the response. Would you mind linking me to this? I've had a look on their website but couldn't seem to find what you're describing.

• @seanho said:

I also tried to check them, but i only found those: https://zxhost.co.uk/let.html and those are out of stock.

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited June 2017

Sorry I neglected to add a link, it's in their latest offer thread. I've had a storage KVM with them for over a year now and am quite happy with them.

The Ceph storage is on networked HDDs, but with SSD caching.