Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iOS 11 - Anyone playing with the beta?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iOS 11 - Anyone playing with the beta?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Curious to hear opinions from people who have installed the beta of iOS 11... I've got an ipad that I rarely use because of the challenges with productivity (ipad has always been more of a toy than a real productivity driven device in my mind).

I just read an overview of the changes in 11 and a lot of seems to do with making the ipad more conducive to getting stuff done.

Has anyone gone through the trouble of installing the beta of ios11?

If so, what do you think?

Worth it?

Comments

• Only bad news is that it doesn't support 32 bit.

Else smooth mostly

Thanked by 2raindog308 doghouch
  • @jbiloh said:
    (ipad has always been more of a toy than a real productivity driven device in my mind).

I use my iPad for nearly everything. Coding and more complicated server admin stuff (so anything more than apt-get update...) are the only things I use a laptop for. Of course it depends on what a person does for living, obviously an iPad can't replace a computer for a lot of people (especially the demographic frequenting this forum).

Has anyone gone through the trouble of installing the beta of ios11?

I'm going to be installing it on my iPad Mini this week. I've been following a lot of people who are using it (those with developer accounts who've had access to it since the announcement) and the general consensus is that it works really well, especially so early in the beta stage.

If your iPad is not required tool as you say, I suggest you go for it. You can always role back if you don't like it. Just remember to do an encrypted iTunes backup before you start.

• Been using Developer Beta for around 2 weeks now. I’m just having some issue with battery life. Other than that, it’s usable.

Didn’t get any trouble installing it. I registered my UDID for around 10 bucks and installed the profile and I updated to iOS 11 using OTA.

• Also using it on my productive iphone 6s since developer start. its running pretty fine there a some bugs which could stress you (because you are often using that feature).

Take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/ for known bugs.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

Been on beta1 since it relases.

Beta1 is almost untorelatable due to laggy, beta2 seems smoother , but i do have ocasional crashes.

New features only screen record seems useful to me , but it's just me.

• TomTom Member

I want to play with it, but I want a stable phone too :-(

• Close the app, Close the app, Close it. Ok it closed. god dammit close it close it.... Beta 2 in a nutshell.

Thanked by 2Aidan netomx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Tom said:
    I want to play with it, but I want a stable phone too :-(

Heh, I think even iPhone 5s support this update? Not sure tho, but you can lend from someone else... Which is what I usually do when I need to test something iPhone related.
    Never been a fan. Runs smooth, but it's sort of limited.

Kids seem to love iPhones, got a 1 year old girl that knows how to call to someone and how to take pictures. :P

• I have the dev. certificate, but it doesn't work for me. It keeps saying Failed to Update :(

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

yashmaudhoo said: Been using Developer Beta for around 2 weeks now. I’m just having some issue with battery life. Other than that, it’s usable.

How big of a hit did your battery life take?

• Does it support IPv6?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

3606202 said: Does it support IPv6?

Has for a while, and since last year all new apps must support ipv6-only networks.

https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6/

Most devs are using higher-level APIs so it's not hard for them to certify.

• I'm enjoying it on my iPad so far, getting used to the multi-tasking features is taking some time though.

However, Plex now refuses to play anything and I can't seem to fix it.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

how big is the OTA download size?