Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our VPS at ChicagoVPS went down for days; now, corrupted and they refuse to fix it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Our VPS at ChicagoVPS went down for days; now, corrupted and they refuse to fix it

cvardacvarda Member
edited January 2012 in General

We run several business websites, applications, services and systems on a VPS hosted by ChicagoVPS.

Last saturday, Jan 14, after an unsuccessful maintenance, our VPS went down for several days (around 3 days). During this time, they were unable to provide us an backup that we could bring up our most up-to-date database and files somewhere else, and they asked us to be "patient". Patient after days with business services down!

Two days ago finally the VPS "came back". But corrupted. We complained again, but they refuse to fix it, stating that "we are no longer considered a customer". That's because we said that once we can transfer our data and application to other place, we would finish our account. But we never asked it to be cancelled. Not yet, at least. They provided us an image that's also corrupted, so its useless.

So that's it. We can't restore our files, they say they wont help. :/

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

There are some ways to extract the data from the corrupted file. (What format is the image in?)... Also not to be "callous" or "rude", but don't you have a incremental backup of some kind? With my websites I backup all the data twice a day...

Thanked by 1cvarda
  • Why would you host all that stuff on a $7/m VPS?

Thanked by 1cvarda
  • I don't understand why nobody seems to understand the importance of backup. Specialy on this low end market.

Thanked by 2cvarda Joel
  • BlueVM, the image is a dd dump.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Conrado doesn't like to be truthful it seems.

He forgets to mention the part where he asked for an image of his VPS so he could find another provider. We did this, and thought that we have went our separate ways.

After this, he has come back asking for help. We have offered to help him pull the data from a backup WE took. We are not here to screw anyone. We gave him what he wanted and that was the end of it.

Regards,

Chris

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

@cvarda - as stupid as it may sound have you tried opening the file with 7zip? I find it will open almost anything assuming it has multiple files in it...

Also if your able to upload it I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can force a box to run with it... It is openVZ I assume?

Thanked by 1cvarda
  • Chris, as I said, some portions of this image are corrupted, so we were unable to restore our files. Of course we ask for help. We didn't cancel the service, we expect (and still expect) it to be properly restored. Did you do this?

• BlueVM, we tried mounting this image on a Debian 6 (same of VPS) and on the Windows desktop using a ext2/3/4 read utility. Same thing on both scenarios.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

@cvarda - Yes, I'm sure you have, but what I want to do is slightly different: (aka) Extract the pieces of your VPS, rebuild it again and import the pieces so that your data is recovered.

• cvardacvarda Member
    edited January 2012

BlueVM, I'm afraid this isn't possible: our VPS is "up" (online state), but it isn't bootable, so we can't transfer anything to or from it.

• Out of curiosity, does this VPS still exist? And what platform is it? (OVZ, KVM, etc)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

It does, and its Xen. We told him we would need to reinstall the VPS and pull data from a backup we took previously to the maintenance period. He has yet to answer his ticket tho...

• cvardacvarda Member
    edited January 2012

I just answered the ticket. The backup isn't at Central Backup, so I wonder how to proceed. Of course, if you can do this, it would be the best.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited January 2012

@cvarda After all your copy and pasting in multiple threads here, I'm surprised they are even helping you. Kind of the OPPOSITE of what you are saying here...

• @CVPS_Chris said: He forgets to mention the part where he asked for an image of his VPS so he could find another provider. We did this, and thought that we have went our separate ways.

His VPS was down, what would you expect in this situation?

Thanked by 1cvarda
  • erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited January 2012

I got the same downtime at the same moment...
    My Minecraft world seems to got rollbacked to day one when I zipped the world and transferred it to my computer, when I read this post I restarted the Minecraft server and saw everything in the world was normal again O_o
    Maybe they did a backup or it is because I have a rollback plugin which saves a lot of data and may replace disk I/O with SQL I/O ;)

EDIT:
    Confirmed, now my SQL backups are even more important...

• Don't want to take sides here, but you shouldn't really rely on the provider to provide backups of your data, that's your own responsibility. Every provider here can disappear at any time without a trace and you won't see your data ever again.

Don't be stupid, backup your data and backup your backups.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @vedran said: Don't want to take sides here, but you shouldn't really rely on the provider to provide backups of your data, that's your own responsibility. Every provider here can disappear at any time without a trace and you won't see your data ever again.

Don't be stupid, backup your data and backup your backups.

Especially on a $7/month VPS (I'm assuming they're using the 2GB offer since they're posting here). I wouldn't rely on $7 a month to host business websites and services, that's insane.

• Just to let people know, the VPS is $14.95 worth.

• @cvarda said: the VPS is $14.95 worth.

So you came here simply to bitch about ChicagoVPS and contribute nothing to the community.

• miTgiB: I consider reporting such serious problems as a relevant contribution. Reading something like this (assuming its true, of course), I would never signed up.

• @miTgiB Gotta love these one sided stories...

• If you want I may share e-mails and provider's ticket data.

• @cvarda said: I consider reporting such serious problems as a relevant contribution.

I consider what I've seen you do blatant spamming.

• @miTgiB said: I consider what I've seen you do blatant spamming.

Agree

Same post, in all the Chicago related threads, is spam, stupid spam.

The thread that you opened is enough.

• @cvarda said: I consider spamming such serious problems as a relevant contribution

Fixed.

If you were serious about the situation, you would have added in all the stuff ChicagoVPS added in when they gave their side of the story. Also spamming it in a number of threads, including those that did not relate to the provider, didn't go over well with the community. (You may have missed the multiple community members complaining about your method of posting.)

@cvarda said: If you want I may share e-mails and provider's ticket data.

That information should have been in your first post.

Flagged with a request with closing.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited January 2012

For what it's worth, I've had zero trouble with my ChicagoVPS, but it's OpenVZ, not Xen.