Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneProvider Singapore and Japan review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneProvider Singapore and Japan review

pluushpluush Member
edited June 2017 in Reviews

Hi there guys. I have been using OneProvider for approximately a month and since I will continue to seek help on this LET forum let me just write a review, I hope this can help the community.

Please be warned that this is the review for their VPS service - not their dedicated server instances. Dedicated servers are out of my budget lol.

Their support has been quite nice, actually contrary to what others have to say about unresponsive support. My support is usually answered within 24 hours, which I would consider fine considering the time differences. I have never asked a question too technical though. To be honest is it because of the saying "happy customers don't leave reviews"? Maybe. Because I almost didn't want to write it myself.

Their Singapore network uses Leaseweb. Leaseweb has a very weird policy regarding Chinese users. I am not a real Chinese - I'm just an Indonesian student (well, eh, of Chinese ethnicity) living in China now. If you register with them directly, I heard about a security deposit of $1,250 and it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. I also need the flexibility of IP change - even when most IPs are not blocked, some are blocked from access within China. With OneProvider, you can just destroy the instance, wait for one or two days till someone takes the IP (probably someone who doesn't need China access), then create a new instance. New IP comes to you. I'm not sure that's the case if you register directly with LeaseWeb.

So far Leaseweb's network has been quite good. I mostly don't have trouble connecting from most places. They have direct peer to China Mobile, China Unicom (?), and China Telecom actually. I have tested several connections over VPN and they were able to stay within 200ms. So yeah, this could be the 'budget provider' with Direct China link.

CERNET Heilongjiang (idk which backbone they use, my packets are delivered thru LA) nets a ping around 225ms, and China Mobile Heilongjiang around 125ms. Considering that I have a friend who uses CT and gets ~160ms ping and I could connect from Indonesia to CU's DOTA servers at around 175ms via the VPN on VPS (net ping from ID <-> SG : ~17ms) (~300ms w/o VPN), I am confused myself on which backbone CERNET uses for their network. Maybe their own?

Now, about OneProvider Japan. I took the offer when they have Plan 02 (the minimum for Japan), when it was $7 from the normal $10. They use their own AS called "BrainStorm Network" which is peered with just i3d.net and TerraHost AS.

I don't think that it has Direct China link (hmm, unless you're talking about China Mobile) so accesses within CERNET nets you latency of around 270ms (aw), but China Mobile does it just fine at around 140-150ms. Couldn't get my hands on Unicom / Telecom on this one though.

Overall ping was too high even when speeds were decent on CERNET but when I stream some videos from certain provider via VPN (UDP), it's slow somehow. I was able to speedtest using China Mobile and CERNET, get some decent speeds from CERNET and nice speeds on CM, and the bandwidth of both VPN tunnels should be enough for the video stream. CM streams the video flawlessly via the VPN but CERNET does not. I wonder why, maybe the content delivery is ping-dependent? I'm not sure myself but I don't think I can use this network since Chinese peering not better than Leaseweb's network in Singapore. So I directly changed my Plan 02 @2TB to the SG location for the sake of it.

Here are some benches. (freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh)

Oneprovider Singapore (Leaseweb)

System Info
-----------
Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
CPU Cores       : 1
Frequency       : 3492.066 MHz
Memory          : 996 MB
Swap            : 1023 MB
Uptime          : 15 days, 1:00,

OS              : CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64
Hostname        : ***

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is 103.208.85.***

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        21.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          7.33MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       8.43MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       11.8MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       10.1MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       883KB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          27.7MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       67.5MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         6.98MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        11.6MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 220 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 217 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 211 MB/s
Average I/O     : 216 MB/s

I think Softlayer's Washington, DC servers were at trouble as I was testing my IIJ VPS at the same time I tested this and it got stuck at Washington, DC. The test below is done earlier when I still have the VPS in the JP region.

Oneprovider Japan (BrainStorm Network)

System Info
-----------
Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
CPU Cores       : 1
Frequency       : 3200.022 MHz
Memory          : 996 MB
Swap            : 1023 MB
Uptime          : 11 min,

OS              : CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64
Hostname        : jp

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is 103.75.118.128

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        89.0MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          4.42MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       10.8MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       14.7MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       15.5MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       10.0MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          92.7MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       24.0MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         2.86MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        7.80MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 206 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 215 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 219 MB/s
Average I/O     : 213.333 MB/s

See, speeds are actually good but I am not a fan of the latency from my location...

I have also used their US network for quite a bit, they use Nobis Technology Group, LLC. as their provider in Los Angeles and Atlanta. Their Los Angeles datacenter has a lot of blocked IP within China. When I get a IP that's fine I get a certificate error using the default OpenVPN setup. Well I decided not to troubleshoot it. Their network in Atlanta goes via LA so even when the VPS there works fine I still feel like it's a waste to order there just because yeah you know, inefficiency.

I have not benched their server in the US.

I have a free instance @1TB (plan 01, the old $5 SG instance before I move to Plan 02 at $7) that I do not use in OneProvider that ends soon - if anyone is interested in knowing their AS, ISP, and performance using bench scripts in the several regions (they have a lot) please feel free to post here.

I also have a cheap VPS @LA with a QuadraNet reseller and also a not-so-cheap VPS from IIJ reseller. I might review them later.

Overall I'm quite happy. They have been decent all this time. Their control panel, most of the times, can be a little slow, but nothing serious - just like a slow web server. Well, at least my VPS is good. That is enough for me. No observable downtime, and support that responds within 24h. I'll continue to use their Singapore region for the time being.

Comments

• sinsin Member

pluush said: they use Nobis Technology Group, LLC. as their provider in Los Angeles and Atlanta

Nobis is Leaseweb

• pluushpluush Member

@sin said:

pluush said: they use Nobis Technology Group, LLC. as their provider in Los Angeles and Atlanta

Nobis is Leaseweb

Yep I know - Leaseweb acquired Nobis - but I thought maybe Nobis' old infrastructure is probably still being used? So I figure maybe the performance is still different.

Thanks for replying!

• how much does it cost ?

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited June 2017

yokowasis said: how much does it cost ?

pluush said: Now, about OneProvider Japan. I took the offer when they have Plan 02 (the minimum for Japan), when it was $7 from the normal $10. They use their own AS called "BrainStorm Network" which is peered with just i3d.net and TerraHost AS.

• Cheers for the review! :)

• @ElliotJ said:
    Cheers for the review! :)

Wait....when correctly you be promoted to admin?

• pluushpluush Member
    edited June 2017

@yokowasis said:
    how much does it cost ?

@sibaper said:

yokowasis said: how much does it cost ?

pluush said: Now, about OneProvider Japan. I took the offer when they have Plan 02 (the minimum for Japan), when it was $7 from the normal $10. They use their own AS called "BrainStorm Network" which is peered with just i3d.net and TerraHost AS.

Plan 01 at 1TB, 512MB RAM costs $5. Plan 02 at 2TB, 1GB RAM costs $7 (30% off from $10). It is a recurring discount (The discount was for Plan 02, 03, 04, and 05 IIRC). You can have a look at the available plans on their site. Both plans are available for Singapore, but you need Plan 02 and up to get the Japanese location. Even then the Japanese location is not always available on Plan 02 (sometimes it's not selectable, 'try again later'), but I was eventually able to get my hands on the Japanese server. I have been trying to get my hands on another discounted instance but they don't seem to offer it anymore. Maybe some other time. I am currently not using their $5 plan anymore because I use my server for VPN server which is bandwidth-heavy. In hopes of getting another $7 / 2TB instance someday.

Thanks for coming by!

@ElliotJ said:
    Cheers for the review! :)

Cheers! :)

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • hanoihanoi Member

Thanks, any one experience in HongKong??

• pluushpluush Member

@hanoi said:
    Thanks, any one experience in HongKong??

The Hong Kong region seems like it also needs Plan 02. I get an error when trying to register there even when I can select them on Plan 01. Based on my hazy memory, unfortunately the Chinese peering was not as good as their Singapore region, just like their Japanese network. I forgot which provider they are using there. I cannot test it right now because my Plan 02 server is being put into use now. I have decided that Singapore is the best region for my current needs.

Thanks for coming by!

Thanked by 1hanoi