Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More USA spying on your data (as well as supporting Al-Qaida/ISIS in Syria)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More USA spying on your data (as well as supporting Al-Qaida/ISIS in Syria)

The Justice Department on Friday petitioned the US Supreme Court to step into an international legal thicket, one that asks whether US search warrants extend to data stored on foreign servers. The US government says it has the legal right, with a valid court warrant, to reach into the world's servers with the assistance of the tech sector, no matter where the data is stored.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/supreme-court-asked-to-decide-if-us-has-right-to-data-on-foreign-servers/

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

you are what?

The US constitution EXPLICITLY only protects US citizens, this is and always was 100% clear - if you are not US citizen, and not even resident, you are fair game for all agencies.

If you expected anything different you are naive.

This decision is also fairly pointless because how will $US_agency get data from my server in Beijing? They send a CIA operative to break into China Telecom DC and copy my HDD? Lastly... this happened already before, so it is not really new either...

In a nutshell, the US government claims it should not matter where the data is stored. What matters is whether the company can access that data in the US.

So there is now a guy in Ireland, Irish citizen, never going to US or US connection, the only guy that has the main encryption key for the Microsoft data stored in DUB-1..... problem solved.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • I find your avatar slightly revolting. Are you by any chance an ISIL symphatizer? Before we continue discussing this topic, it would be nice to know.

• xaocxaoc Member

@stefeman said:
    I find your avatar slightly revolting. Are you by any chance an ISIL symphatizer? Before we continue discussing this topic, it would be nice to know.

So a person who's against war is an ISIS sympatiser? What planet the fuck are you from?

Thanked by 3kh81 quick r0xz
  • @xaoc said:

@stefeman said:
    I find your avatar slightly revolting. Are you by any chance an ISIL symphatizer? Before we continue discussing this topic, it would be nice to know.

So a person who's against war is an ISIS sympatiser? What planet the fuck are you from?

Im a Neptunian, thanks for asking.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

Why is this even news? This has been common knowledge since before LET was a thing. Any country can get access to any data on any server if they go through the right channels, be it a court order or bribing the data center staff. Thinking your data is out of reach of anybody while it's connected to a network and/or the physical location is know is extremely ignorant.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: The US constitution EXPLICITLY only protects US citizens, this is and always was 100% clear - if you are not US citizen, and not even resident, you are fair game for all agencies.

I'm not sure that's true...?

For example, if you're a foreign citizen who rents an apartment in New York City, it's not like the government can just come waltzing in without a search warrant because you're not a citizen, or haul you off to prison and hold you without habeus corpus rights.

In fact, I think all of the bill of rights, etc. extends to everyone who's on US soil. If memory serves, that was why they didn't want to bring Guantanamo prisoners to the US...the moment they landed, they were under full constitutional protection.

I'm not a constitutional attorney of course but I'm not aware of anywhere in the criminal justice system where your citizenship status is even checked. Definitely there are constitutional things where citizenship comes into play (voting, gun rights, etc.) but in general I'm thinking the constitution applies to all in the US.

Might be different once you get into actual laws around the Internet, etc. but you said constitution, and explicitly.

stefeman said: Im a Neptunian, thanks for asking.

I'm guessing things here are unbearably hot for you? By a few hundred degrees?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

I understand politics intersect with data privacy and I'm okay with that, but please make sure this doesn't become a "one side vs the other" political argument thread where everyone argues about everything from social programs to immigration. I'll merge with "cest pit" if it does. Thank you :)