Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN service with reserved IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN service with reserved IP?

LunicsLunics Member
edited June 2017 in General

Hi,

I'm looking for a VPN product that I haven't seen before: A VPN with a static IP address that is exclusively reserved for me (and the ability to configure reverse DNS for it).
The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Currently the easiest way to achieve this is to rent a cheap VPS and setup a VPN connection there manually.

But it could be even easier (and hopefully cheaper) if there were a product offering for a VPN that is already preconfigured this way.

¹ Dialup IPs are problematic for email because they are listed on RBLs.

Comments

• LunicsLunics Member
    edited June 2017

I have found some companies offering this product, they call it "dedicated IP VPN":

but they ask $2/month or more which is a lot more than the $8/year or so you pay for the cheapest VPSs.

So, are there cheaper offerings for dedicated IP VPNs?

• @Lunics said:
    Hi,

I'm looking for a VPN product that I haven't seen before: A VPN with a static IP address that is exclusively reserved for me (and the ability to configure reverse DNS for it).
    The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Currently the easiest way to achieve this is to rent a cheap VPS and setup a VPN connection there manually.

But it could be even easier (and hopefully cheaper) if there were a product offering for a VPN that is already preconfigured this way.

¹ Dialup IPs are problematic for email because they are listed on RBLs.

Ask anyone on LET to set a VPN up for you. Use a decent VPS, and you'll have the IP all to yourself. In fact, you could do a GRE tunnel also if you really wanted to.

I may be able to set one up for you when I have the time.

• @Lunics said:
    I have found some companies offering this product, they call it "dedicated IP VPN":

but they ask $2/month or more which is a lot more than the $8/year or so you pay for the cheapest VPSs.

So, are there cheaper offerings for dedicated IP VPNs?

I agree that VPS with VPN setup will be cheaper. Because VPN providers is going to charge for all the setup they have done.

• LunicsLunics Member

It's not for me personally, I have set up my own VPN on a VPS (using OpenVPN). I just figured that a VPN like that should be cheaper than a VPS because it offers less and uses up fewer resources than a VPS. Alas, it turns out a VPS is cheaper nonetheless.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited June 2017

Lunics said: The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Not sure what you're trying to do...receive or send email? Neither requires a VPN.

If you're trying to receive mail, then any VPS can be a mail server.

If you're trying to send from home, you can have a VPS act as a relay. That's what I do. My ISP won't allow me to send email directly from home (e.g., alerts from a Linux box or a Synology NAS) so I have one Linux box act as a gateway.

Home LAN -> one box on that LAN -> VPS -> destination

The VPS authenticates the sender (my home Linux box) so it doesn't act as an open relay.

But if you want a VPS for other reasons, try CatalystHost. They don't advertise their specials but if you register you can order through WHMCS and they have some "LEB EXCLUSIVE PLANS". e.g. 128/64, 10GB HDD, 10TB bandwidth, 2gbps uplink for $12 annually in Dallas. They make great VPNs along with Nyr's openvpn script.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Check virmach.com
    Proxy/VPN come with static IPs.

• LunicsLunics Member

@raindog: The idea is that the mail server runs at home on your own hardware for better privacy.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Holy Necro kitten.

• @Lindaawilsoon

That's okay, we can talk about it. Sit down by the camp fire. Grab a potato.

Let me tell you about things around here, there is this guy we're all looking for, his name is @WSS.

He used to tell stories around the camp fire, but not anymore.

One morning, a scary sound woke us up in the middle of the night.

We saw distant lights above the forest tree tops, moving towards north.

@WSS as the bravest of us went ahead to check it out...

@AuroraZ, @deank, @angstrom and some other people went right after him...

I remained at the campsite keeping the potatoes safe from harm...

Little did i know at the time, he never returned.

@AuroraZ told us, saw the lights coming down far away and Yeti like figures appeared and started walking casually in front of the lights, but had already lost sight of @WSS ...

@deank knew that the end was nigh when the lights suddently disappeared, followed by silence.

In the pitch dark, they barely managed to return back at the camp site.

We got again around the campfire to regroup and reogranize.

@angstrom took out his nice crayons and draw a picture of the darkness, so people know what happened...

As the sun rose, we noticed that @bsdguy was missing too.

Some say that @bsdguy had something to do with the lights, that @WSS went after him, but i don't know, i couldn't say...

The whole community, we all, went looking in the morning, on that spot, the ground was scorched and clean of any vegetation.

We used @Yura's sniffing kitty to find a trace of @WSS but the only thing we got was a RS232 cable on the ground...

@AntonySmith saw the cable and pointed towards it, @Nekki took it and concluded it's obvious what happened here.

We heard some rumbling in the bushes and for a moment got scared, but it turned out it was just a grizzly bear.

When we returned back to the camp, @angstrom's crayons were gone, somebody took them.

The same evening, @jamespeach prepared an official 107 page report regarding the incident and addressed it to whomever it concerns, FYI, politely.

But, no luck ever since...

Nowadays, the legend says, whoever finds him will get lots of luck and riches, followed by a somewhat ironical twist of fate.

The twist of fate follows after hearing the rest of the story, which only @WSS knows.

Had he been here, this campfire story thread would have been a lot better, but now we have to go by with what we can scrap.

People say, at night time in the woods, you can still hear him hastagging #dicks...

Some like @CyberMonday even believe he is in the woods right now, still trying to reach and find us through unconventional means.

He found this nearby cavern with some odd writings on the walls, quite possibly with nice crayons containing the number @3606202.

My memory is a bit fuzzy and hazy, but this is exactly how it happened. Sorry if i forgot to mention anyone...

The truth is out there... Who took @angstrom's crayons?

Thanked by 3eol angstrom Yura
  • @Janevski, you're funny, but maybe try to take a well-deserved nap? :smile:

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @angstrom said:
    @Janevski, you're funny, but maybe try to take a well-deserved nap? :smile:

Agreed.

• @Janevski said: The truth is out there... Who took @angstrom's crayons?

You can still see my crayons on HostBalls. :smile:

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

Hi,

I can provide a WireGuard, OpenVPN or GRE tunnel with a routed /28 subnet from my PoP in Frankfurt, Germany.

If you want a bigger subnet (/27, /26) and can pay in advance, I can set up a PoP in Amsterdam or London.

Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested.

My network is AS204585.

• @Janevski said:

I wish I could give you more than one thanks for this post.
    Well done, sir.

Thanked by 1Janevski
This discussion has been closed.