VPN service with reserved IP?

VPN service with reserved IP?

LunicsLunics Member
edited June 2017 in General

Hi,

I'm looking for a VPN product that I haven't seen before: A VPN with a static IP address that is exclusively reserved for me (and the ability to configure reverse DNS for it). The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Currently the easiest way to achieve this is to rent a cheap VPS and setup a VPN connection there manually.

But it could be even easier (and hopefully cheaper) if there were a product offering for a VPN that is already preconfigured this way.

¹ Dialup IPs are problematic for email because they are listed on RBLs.

Comments

• LunicsLunics Member
    edited June 2017

I have found some companies offering this product, they call it "dedicated IP VPN":

but they ask $2/month or more which is a lot more than the $8/year or so you pay for the cheapest VPSs.

So, are there cheaper offerings for dedicated IP VPNs?

• @Lunics said: Hi,

I'm looking for a VPN product that I haven't seen before: A VPN with a static IP address that is exclusively reserved for me (and the ability to configure reverse DNS for it). The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Currently the easiest way to achieve this is to rent a cheap VPS and setup a VPN connection there manually.

But it could be even easier (and hopefully cheaper) if there were a product offering for a VPN that is already preconfigured this way.

¹ Dialup IPs are problematic for email because they are listed on RBLs.

Ask anyone on LET to set a VPN up for you. Use a decent VPS, and you'll have the IP all to yourself. In fact, you could do a GRE tunnel also if you really wanted to.

I may be able to set one up for you when I have the time.

Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

• @Lunics said: I have found some companies offering this product, they call it "dedicated IP VPN":

but they ask $2/month or more which is a lot more than the $8/year or so you pay for the cheapest VPSs.

So, are there cheaper offerings for dedicated IP VPNs?

I agree that VPS with VPN setup will be cheaper. Because VPN providers is going to charge for all the setup they have done.

• LunicsLunics Member

It's not for me personally, I have set up my own VPN on a VPS (using OpenVPN). I just figured that a VPN like that should be cheaper than a VPS because it offers less and uses up fewer resources than a VPS. Alas, it turns out a VPS is cheaper nonetheless.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator
    edited June 2017

Lunics said: The idea is that I use the IPv4 address from the VPN provider to provide a computer in my home with a non-dialup IP address so it can be used for an email server.¹

Not sure what you're trying to do...receive or send email? Neither requires a VPN.

If you're trying to receive mail, then any VPS can be a mail server.

If you're trying to send from home, you can have a VPS act as a relay. That's what I do. My ISP won't allow me to send email directly from home (e.g., alerts from a Linux box or a Synology NAS) so I have one Linux box act as a gateway.

Home LAN -> one box on that LAN -> VPS -> destination

The VPS authenticates the sender (my home Linux box) so it doesn't act as an open relay.

But if you want a VPS for other reasons, try CatalystHost. They don't advertise their specials but if you register you can order through WHMCS and they have some "LEB EXCLUSIVE PLANS". e.g. 128/64, 10GB HDD, 10TB bandwidth, 2gbps uplink for $12 annually in Dallas. They make great VPNs along with Nyr's openvpn script.

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

Check virmach.com Proxy/VPN come with static IPs.

MXroute.io - SMTP Relay Service, powered by MailChannels, fully automated, LET plans

MXroute.com - Email Hosting, powered by MailChannels

• LunicsLunics Member

@raindog: The idea is that the mail server runs at home on your own hardware for better privacy.