Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waveride (EDIS) vs Overzold (Iperweb)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Waveride (EDIS) vs Overzold (Iperweb)

dreamweaverdreamweaver Member
edited July 2013 in Providers

I'm considering switching from Waveride to Overzold for testing out Bukkit (Minecraft) builds in a environment for all my current players before they are implemented in the official server elsewhere.

At this time, I'm with WaveRide (EDIS) in Austria with a 4GB container, but the I/O hovers around 125MB/s, but they appear to have a somewhat liberal CPU policy (as far as I'm concerned).

Is the situation better on Overzold? As I've heard that Overzold has surpassed many expectations for high-ram oversold providers. Is the I/O better, and how much of the RAM have you been able to access without swapping?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Let me get this straight, you have a VPS with 4GB RAM and liberal CPU policy for less than $7/month and you are complaining because of "poor io" of "only" 125MB/s?

No comment.

Thanked by 3rm_ marrco mpkossen
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    Let me get this straight, you have a VPS with 4GB RAM and liberal CPU policy for less than $7/month and you are complaining because of "poor io" of "only" 125MB/s?

No comment.

I'm not complaining at all. Waveride is definitely a awesome service for $7/month. I'm just asking if performance on Overzold is better than what I'm getting on Waveride.

The care and dedication EDIS puts into it's service is absolutely remarkable, but the same has been said for Iperweb, and it's brand Overzold. I'm simply wondering about switching. I'm not complaining at all, I'm comparing the performance of the two so I can see which is better in my current situation, for my own personal needs.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

The SAN storage variant (slowest disk, but more reliable):

[root@pm51overzold test]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
    Number of cores : 24
    CPU frequency :  2000.055 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128769 MB
    Total amount of swap : 62767 MB
    System uptime :   55 days, 3:53,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 80.2MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.13MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.59MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 33.1MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 50.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.19MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.16MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 7.39MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.6MB/s
    I/O speed :  113 MB/s

The local storage variant, faster disk but more prone to lose data in case of hardware failure:

[root@pm37 test]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
    Number of cores : 24
    CPU frequency :  2000.161 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 64263 MB
    Total amount of swap : 32271 MB
    System uptime :   21 days, 1:46,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 72.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 12.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.35MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 32.3MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 62.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.54MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.73MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.0MB/s
    I/O speed :  291 MB/s

You can use all advertised resources all the time, but going over 4 load (no of cores is 4 for all plans) will get you a shutdown then a suspension.
    So, use all you need in the limits of the plans.

Thanked by 1dreamweaver
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver Member
    edited July 2013

@Maounique said:
    The SAN storage variant (slowest disk, but more reliable):

> [root@pm51overzold test]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    > CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
    > Number of cores : 24
    > CPU frequency :  2000.055 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 128769 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 62767 MB
    > System uptime :   55 days, 3:53,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 80.2MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.13MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 11.1MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.59MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 33.1MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 50.9MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.19MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.16MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 7.39MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.6MB/s
    > I/O speed :  113 MB/s
    > 
    > 

Thanks for posting a benchmark, but I've heard from the recent Battle of the Big Guns post on LowEndBox state that you typically get a reasonably consistent 250MB/s I/O? Is this true?

Also, I'm guessing the 5GB offer is permanently gone?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Yes, we have 2 types of overzold servers, some with local storage and some with SAN storage.
    The first is faster but it may fail more frequently, the second is slower since the storage is not on the node, but the SAN server is a HUS 150 from Hitachi with active-active redundant controllers, multiple levels of internal redundancy and managed only by the Hitachi man with original or approved components to ensure high reliability.
    Personally, I favour the safety over speed because 100+ MB/s is more than enough for almost everything.

The 7 $ for 5 GB is gone, but the plan is still available as well as 4 GB which is some 4.5 Pounds with the serverbear coupon.

The CPU is the same for all plans, 4 cores, the ram and disk varies.

Thanked by 1dreamweaver
  • @Maounique said:
    Yes, we have 2 types of overzold servers, some with local storage and some with SAN storage.
    The first is faster but it may fail more frequently, the second is slower since the storage is not on the node, but the SAN server is a HUS 150 from Hitachi with active-active redundant controllers, multiple levels of internal redundancy and managed only by the Hitachi man with original or approved components to ensure high reliability.
    Personally, I favour the safety over speed because 100+ MB/s is more than enough for almost everything.

Alright, I really appreciate you coming out and doing all this stuff for me. Iperweb is definitely the kind of provider I would want (a provider that goes out to help for little material gain). I'll sign up at your next LEB offer :)