Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap ($1-2 per month) server for running scripts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap ($1-2 per month) server for running scripts?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited June 2017 in General

I was with Hostforce. Had no problems with them just I didn't need the server any more so quit it a few months ago but am looking for one again and seeing what else is around.

Just need good internet which I guess is a given and basic processor, low HD requirements; 30gb or so should do and basic memory (need 1gig or so though 2 would be better but no need to pay more for it as I can do without). The more memory and processor I can get the better, processor being most important but for that price I don't expect much :). Just a good connection and I work around the rest.

Oh bandwidth allowance could be a factor but I think I never went over my 1gb a month quota on previous servers.

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

ArubaCloud, off the top of my head, but 20GB storage only.

https://clients.gestiondbi.com/index.php?/cart/promotions/

• @bersy said:
    ArubaCloud, off the top of my head.

Oh thanks. The gestion looks better specs than my previous one more ram and disk space, for a huge price increase of $3 vs $2 :)

• @lowendguy7 said:

@bersy said:

Oh thanks. The gestion looks better specs than my previous one more ram and disk space, for a huge price increase of $3 vs $2 :)

Those are CAD, 3 CAD is around 2.26 USD.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • not sure what this means. What is cad? I want just a server I can ssh in to.

@teamacc said:

@lowendguy7 said:

@bersy said:

Those are CAD, 3 CAD is around 2.26 USD.

• CAD are Canadian Dollars, meaning it will result at about 2,26 USD when exchanged.
    Would recommend https://arubacloud.com though, think their price is better for the service they provide (VMWare instead of OVZ).

• lowendguy7 said: What is cad?

Canadian Dollars.

• Why do you say vmware is better?

Oh > @bluesega said:

CAD are Canadian Dollars, meaning it will result at about 2,26 USD when exchanged.
    Would recommend https://arubacloud.com though, think their price is better for the service they provide (VMWare instead of OVZ).

• Depends of course on your needs, but it seems you don't need much anyway..
    It's personal favour, I like dedicated, seperate systems more than container-based VM (KVM, VMware, etc.), but of course people like OVZ as well, you gotta decide this for yourself. Just recommending.

• Well I was asking the reasoning since I don't have a preference either way that is why I was asking the advantages disadvantages.

Vmware is still a virtual machine so I don't see the difference?

@bluesega said:
    Depends of course on your needs, but it seems you don't need much anyway..
    It's personal favour, I like dedicated, seperate systems more than container-based VM (KVM, VMware, etc.), but of course people like OVZ as well, you gotta decide this for yourself. Just recommending.

• @lowendguy7 said:
    Well I was asking the reasoning since I don't have a preference either way that is why I was asking the advantages disadvantages.

Vmware is still a virtual machine so I don't see the difference?

@bluesega said:
    Depends of course on your needs, but it seems you don't need much anyway..

OpenVZ can be oversold more easily than VMWare containers, and has less overhead. This means more users per node, and hence less cpu per user.

That being said, I had my arubacloud services (load < 0.1) provisioned on a node next to a bunch of cpu abusers, and support (very politely) told me to go fuck myself when asking to get moved to a better node.

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

You can also take your chances with Obambu - 1GB/2GB OVZ VPS for €1.5/month in FR OVH.

• If you are a developer, We can offer you a VPS with even a higher requirements for free.

• Where is the catch :P and what do you mean by developer? developing what. I program yes if that counts as developer.

@Rocketrix said:
    If you are a developer, We can offer you a VPS with even a higher requirements for free.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@lowendguy7 said:
    Where is the catch :P and what do you mean by developer? developing what. I program yes if that counts as developer.

@Rocketrix said:
    If you are a developer, We can offer you a VPS with even a higher requirements for free.

ah what are you developing and what do you mean by "scripts"?
    as people need to know what scripts you would be running to suggest which host would be best for you(as usually if the scripts are illegal not many or not at all hosts will like that and kick you out quickly)

• micronodesmicronodes Member, Host Rep

@lowendguy7 said:
    Where is the catch :P and what do you mean by developer? developing what. I program yes if that counts as developer.

@Rocketrix said:

We could do the 1gb plan with the specs requested on a gigabit uplink with 2tb bandwidth for 3$/monthly on KVM. This deal is limited time though.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited June 2017

They aren't illegal. Just ones for video uploading and downloading video since my home connection is not good that is why I want a server for that. But to make clear I don't plan to do any encoding which would hog cpu.

@cubedata said:

@lowendguy7 said:

@Rocketrix said:

ah what are you developing and what do you mean by "scripts"?
    as people need to know what scripts you would be running to suggest which host would be best for you(as usually if the scripts are illegal not many or not at all hosts will like that and kick you out quickly)

• EdmondEdmond Member

You could try Virmach's current 2GB OVZ promo, but you would have to pay for the whole year a head of time.

• Why is it take your chances?

@bersy said:
    You can also take your chances with Obambu - 1GB/2GB OVZ VPS for €1.5/month in FR OVH.

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

lowendguy7 said: Why is it take your chances?

Oh, don't take it seriously. The point is I've never seen any reviews of them or used them personally.

• It basically applied to all provider, especially LEB.

• @bersy said:

Is TUN/TAP active?

• bersybersy Member

ornekdji said: Is TUN/TAP active?

I've already told that never used them, so I've no idea.

• @andreipoe said:

lowendguy7 said: What is cad?

Canadian Dollars.

More like Canadian Rupees. Our currency is worthless :(

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited July 2017

Hmm bad start with gestion. Waiting nearly two days now and no reply to my support email and no server.

I should have gone with the automated option rather than the manual setup one but the manual one had better specs :/.

EDIT: setup now.

Thanks @bersy. You must have spurred him into action :).

• $2.88 @ clickcloudit.com but not for mining / encoding or such activities. 20gb 1tb bw

• Thanks @bersy. You must have spurred him into action :).

• Happy with the service from gestion so far but he really needs to up his game on the support ticket front.