Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup suggestions for short URL service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup suggestions for short URL service

sbmcosgsbmcosg Member

Hey guys..

i am planning to start a shorturl service.

so what kind of setup and config should i go with ?

And what would good location for this(DC) ?

thank you

Comments

• Yourls

Make sure to rewrite the example php files.

• @Rallias

Is this script secure ??
    and any suggestions on the VPS configuration ?

• PaulPaul Member

kea.nu --> runs on yourls.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

Running an url shortening service is a very harddd job.

The biggest problem is not with the code or resources rather spamvertising. Most of the time shortened urls are used in spam emails which flags the server as a spamvertiser in most blacklists and yes blacklisting can occur even when you are not sending the email through your smtp servers. The very mention of your domain in spam mail is problematic.

So to solve the problem you can choose a host which ignores spam reporting but I doubt if any host will accept it on a long term basis since blacklisting orgs can blacklist an entire ip neighborhood if the host doesn't take action in a specified amount of time & I don't think any host will like sacrificing the ability to send email.

You could however get hosting directly from bigger networks by colocation & stuff but then would it be worth the cost ? All shortening services I know must either make the big leap in order to survive. Overall it can be done but the more successful you get the more hard it will be to survive.

• @sbmcosg said:
    Rallias

Is this script secure ??
    and any suggestions on the VPS configuration ?

It's secure.

MAKE SURE TO REWRITE THE EXAMPLE SCRIPTS THOUGH.

Go with a low end vps. This sucker will run on ultraminimal resources.

• Thanks for the info guys.