Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Prometeus needs beta testers for the Cloud !
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Prometeus needs beta testers for the Cloud !

MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2013 in General

Hello !

After a long time, we have finally managed to find something suitable for our IaaS Cloud.

We are now deploying it on the hardware we have ready for months and need some testers to stress it.

There will be 2 tiers in this test, one through HostBill which will be like a regular VPS (KVM only for now, but Xen will probably be added until Beta is over), prepaid for a month and fixed resources for the plan, controlled from HostBill too (start/stop/console/snapshot, etc) and another one, postpaid (tho a setup fee will be required and which will be added as credit later).

The deployment is in progress and will continue until September at least with new Zones and Clusters, so the Beta will run until then or even later.

The participation is free and some good testers will also receive credit to be used when the commercial service is launched.

However, there is one condition. Since in Italy anonymous service is not allowed, we will need already existing customers in good standing for this. I.e. you already have service with us for some months and there was no breach of ToS/AUP in this time.

At this time, some 20 testers for each service are needed.

For some basic info about the service,please look here: http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1177

You can apply for this by opening a support ticket in any of our panels, WHMCS or Hostbill, Hostbill for the regular VPS-like service and WHMCS for the superior tier, direct UI management.

Why through LET and not a mass mail ? Well, most people here have some service with us and are usually knowledgeable enough for the job while customers will probably be annoyed by the mail.

Thank you for your help !

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Provider

Good job!!

Voxility DDoS protected BGP starting from 250 EUR/month. Contact us.
      SSD VPS in Spain ☛ 9.99€/year ★ We accept Bitcoins! ★ DMCA ignore ★
    • awsonawson Member

Looks very interesting. Can't wait to see this open to the public :)

• DylanDylan Member

Awesome! Can we still apply if we only have services through IperWeb?

• jakejake Member

Congrats!

• Is this why the old iperweb cloud plan I ordered had a maximum rental period of 3 months?

Contractually bound by a verbal non-disclosure agreement

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
      edited July 2013

@Dylan said:
      Awesome! Can we still apply if we only have services through IperWeb?

Any service you have with us in good standing for a couple of months qualifies.

@texteditor said:
      Is this why the old iperweb cloud plan I ordered had a maximum rental period of 3 months?

No, the old ones will remain, that one is not really a cloud plan, it is a reseller account for Solus, we tested the demand a bit.

We are going in 2 directions with CloudStack:

1. Launch similar services we have for our big corporate customers with VMWare and rhev6 and, if it goes well, integrate them too in the orchestrator;

2. Replace Solus for Xen/KVM simple VMs.

While Uncle has been extremely busy and tired the last months with other projects, not related with Prometeus, the latest Solus problems pushed him into action.

We intend to make own panel, but interfacing with CS's API, not with Hypervisors directly, because wish to unite all the infrastructure under the same "commander" sort of speaking :)

This design will also make the type of root access exploits Solus had impossible.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
      edited July 2013

I'm already testing it and I have to say, it's pretty awesome! Thanks @Maounique and @prometeus for also opening this to the public!

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

• @Maounique said:
      However, there is one condition. Since in Italy anonymous service is not allowed, we will need already existing customers in good standing for this.

Too bad. :(

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

• prometeusprometeus Member, Provider

@joelgm said:
      Too bad. :(

For us is more easy work with people which already know our services. Maybe later we will open the access to selected people from the forums... :-)

@peppr said:
      I have applied and waiting for approval since yesterday...

My fault, the whmcs function to provision the account took more time than expected :-)

We are going to provision the accounts in the next hours...

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
      edited July 2013

Uncle provisioned all the WHMCS requests.
      You can still apply as we have not filled all the slots we intended yet.

• i'd love to test it out! :D

• Then open a ticket :)

• Submitted the ticket ! Get me an account.

• @darknessends said:
      Submitted the ticket ! Get me an account.

You need to have some service with us, sorry :(

Added firewall operation tutorial:
      http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1178&p=1648#p1648

• I had a service with you. I do not have it anymore though.

• Thanks for adding this tutorial M :)
      Yesterday, when I received the email, I have to open the port 22 for the ssh.

And then another problem comes when the vps which is running Nginx can't be opened using web browser, I have to open port 80 and 443.

Next, when I'm moving the default ssh port from 22 to another port, I have to open another port too.

It's a nice firewall system :)
      Very usefull for people learning linux, which will asking how to open/block some port. Another "Cloud" maybe don't have this option, so for some new user, it might be confusing at the beginning. :)

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
      Very usefull for people learning linux, which will asking how to open/block some port. Another "Cloud" maybe don't have this option, so for some new user, it might be confusing at the beginning. :)

Well, even for people knowing firewalls and linux, if they are unfamiliar with CloudStack will have no idea why is not working as most providers (us included) do not block any port on VPSes.
      I did not think of it when I wrote the first tutorial and it was too big anyway, so I added a separate one.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

I got one!

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
      edited July 2013

Got one as well but the process of creating and finally logging into the vps is crazy as hell

1)Password generated is on a pop up box, you'll have to manually copy this password to your clipboard.If you close this dialogue box without saving the password you're in a whole lot of pain. I prefer this password emailed to me, together with the IP as well.

2)To log on you'll have to either use the crazy console or ssh but before you can start ssh you'll have to go to the network settings and set up ingress rules. Of course before you ssh to it, you'll have to find out what is the ip as well, nobody remembers new ip and to get to your ip info, you'll have to click on instances, then nic.

3)finally ssh to it and paste your new password and change to your desired password. Mind you, if you did not save the password from the pop up dialogue, you'll have to stop the vps, change the default password and repeat step 1.

A little bit crazy there but perhaps it's just me not getting used to it and the whole ordeal for a complete newbie would take probably > 15mins to figure this out.

I like it, but just takes time to figure things out. Also it'd be great to have debian 6 template.

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

edited July 2013

Hello !

Thanks for the feedback :)
      Emailing the password poses a security risk. many people complained here before because of that. Maybe an option could be given later when we make own panel.
      I will update the tutorial on how to get the IP without logging in the console (EDIT: done).
      If you change the password manually, it will be changed back at the next restart, you need to do chkconfig cloud-set-guest-password off in order to preserve it, but then changing from UI will no longer work.

It is very different from Solus, maybe this is why it is confusing, maybe you remember solus wasnt that easy at first too :)

I was thinking to do a debian 6 template, will certainly consider it when I get more requests for other OSes too.

• i've uploaded the debian 6 32bit dvd iso M

• Naa, will only ever make minimal templates from netboot and set mirrors only from the same DC. Either ours or from garr if we dont have it.

• awsonawson Member

If you've had an idea on pricing yet, do you think there'll be low-end instances when it's all ready?

• I applied! :)

• I am not sure.

We plan to have also regular nodes with KVM/Xen managed by CloudStack instead of Solus via HostBill module interface, those will maintain price, however, HA, snapshots and all will come at a higher price.

I suppose a regular instance with 512 MB and 20 GB hdd+1-2 cores with HA and one snapshot could go at 7 $, if not regularly, at least for some promo.

But these services are not meant for the regular hobbist, more towards the enterprise market, we plan to unite the services we offer under the same orchestrator, if all goes well.

This means adding also VMWare and perhaps rhev besides Xen and regular KVM, but those will not go under 7 $ in any way shape or form.

The pricing model will include a basic version managed by hostbill without UI direct access and another one, pay-as-you-go, full cloud services, IaaS with internal networking, VLANs, own ISO, own template, download/upload drives/templates, unlimited snapshots and the full cloud experience, in short.

It will have a setup fee which will be converted in credit after the first month without problems and usage paid in full.

• rds100rds100 Member

Got mine, started instance, logged in. Where do i report oddities?

-

• Get mine too, spent only few minutes. After setting firewall, apache php. All work fine. Will do more testing once I get out from work.

Very impressive GUI. Admin panel.

Not yet try the resize and etc.

[“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”]

edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
      Got mine, started instance, logged in. Where do i report oddities?

In the original ticket you asked to join, in the forums, wherever you feel like it, I am monitoring them, even in here :P

Already added to the old tutorial and a new one based on feedback so far.

Things that wont be fixed soon or maybe never:

1. The slow ajax console. It is meant only for emergency and ISO installs. HB uses the same console, VNC cannot be proxied to the Hypervisor since the actual node might change due to HA, for instance.

2. The java panel will not be changed too soon, we plan to replace it with own that will call the API. That may happen this year, depending on how it goes.

Things that will be fixed soon (a month or so):

1. Release an advanced zone (OpenSwitch and internal networking, routing, bridging, complex IaaS infrastructure possible).
      2. Access to usage statistics and billing data (may take more than a month to setup).

Apart from pay-as-you go instances, we will be offering fixed ones from HostBill, monthly prepaid with HA as an option. We will be starting to release beta plans from there soon, perhaps today. Who didnt make it to the high-end full access version, will be able to test the fixed instance version.

• @Maounique said:
      Hello !

Emailing the password poses a security risk. many people complained here before because of that. Maybe an option could be given later when we make own panel.

You could make it more secure by just allowing to post a public key into the Admin panel.

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

edited July 2013

I thought of that, but I think very few people would use it and they will probably like to install from (own) ISO.

Templates are for newbies or people in a hurry, none of them are likely to use the key option.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

@Maounique - for web based VNC purposes consider using HTML5 one (like HostVirtual use) or Silverlight (it's more secure than Java)

• It's actually javascript, but there is no choice right now, we are only deploying it, actual changes will be done later as well as tweaks based on feed-back while even later will probably do some custom panel using the API.

But will still have to use the internal ajax console, the required modifications would be too extensive to be sure we dont introduce more bugs.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

During testing, how much resource can we use? I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

• JackJack Member, Provider

@Maounique said:
      We plan to have also regular nodes with KVM/Xen managed by CloudStack instead of Solus via HostBill module interface.

Nooo... I don't like Cloudstack maybe due to being so used to Solus though, Not 100% sure just seems buggy to me.

edited July 2013

@jcaleb said:
      During testing, how much resource can we use? I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

I will look at this. For this test I started with 3 servers (total 384GB of ram and 6 x E5-2620) and 4.5TB of SAN storage. Later I will add 2 more servers and more SAN storage as I want to test the addition of nodes and storage while the cluster is running :-)

@Jack said:
      Nooo... I don't like Cloudstack maybe due to being so used to Solus though, Not 100% sure just seems buggy to me.

cloudstack isnt the UI, but the core and this:
      http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.1/TOC_Root_Admin.html

Every aspect of CS can be controlled by API, actually all features are developed with an API and eventually implemented in the UI (which is like a POC).

:-)

Edit: BTW lot of this flexibility will be available to the users also:
      http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.1/TOC_User.html

one just need to create own api keys and use any of the available language API bindings to do everything you can do with the UI.

For example you can create a template from any of your VM, then you can create / run / destroy the specialized VM from a monitoring vps, your own panel, some webhooks etc.

• pcanpcan Member

@jcaleb said: I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

Try expanding to 2 GB RAM after the creation. This worked for me; I was also unable to create a 2 GB RAM instance directly. I found and reported other control panel quirks, but the VPS service itself is extremely good, as expected. The dd test result is lower than a typical direct-attach SAS controller, but very good for a SAN backed storage. Snapshot operations are a bit slow (not a real issue).

I wonder if @prometeus will test the HA feature soon. It is a very nice component of this cloud service.

I expressed to @prometeus my personal opinion about the user interface (won't repeat here because I don't want to spoil anyone). It surely is a lot different from most well-known VPS control panels. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of more people.

@jcaleb said:

2GB computing instance are now usable. Typo in the config.

@pcan said:
      I wonder if @prometeus will test the HA feature soon. It is a very nice component of this cloud service.

Later I'll simulate host failure and host maintenance. However HA is already enabled on the BASIC computing instances, so if you try to poweroff any VM from the OS i.e. executing
      shutdown -P now

you will see that your VM will be restarted again. If you want to poweroff you need to do from the interface or with an API request :-)

• I applied, thanks uncle

I'm very like CloudStack Firewall, easy to configured, so I don't need to install CSF on my VPS :)

ServerBorneo.Com - My VPS Journey

• @sentarum said:
      I applied, thanks uncle

I'm very like CloudStack Firewall, easy to configured, so I don't need to install CSF on my VPS :)

Please note it only works for IPv4. IPv6 is still wide open.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

Thanks @prometeus and @pcan

I thought it is not possible to expand KVM based vps =)

Maybe we can set dates when to simulate failure. it would be nice to be a part of seeing your instance recover or not get affected =)

• @Maounique said:
      Then open a ticket :)

unfortunately i'm not a customer at the moment. I assume you have to be one.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

The panel is easy to use

• @Maounique said:
      Hello !

I will update the tutorial on how to get the IP without logging in the console (EDIT: done).
      If you change the password manually, it will be changed back at the next restart, you need to do chkconfig cloud-set-guest-password off in order to preserve it, but then changing from UI will no longer work.

It is very different from Solus, maybe this is why it is confusing, maybe you remember solus wasnt that easy at first too :)

I was thinking to do a debian 6 template, will certainly consider it when I get more requests for other OSes too.

This is a bit confusing. Cloudstack sends out password in email to their login panel so why cant anyone receive the default password to a newly created vm on email? Besides i am sure most people change their default root password on a new vps.

same goes to solus, u receive solus login via email isnt it. Im not sure why people is complaining about this.

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

• I am not sure either, however, you have to send password somehow, at least the initial one, otherwise you wont be able to login, opening a ticket to request it or requesting a change of password will still involve email...

This sounds like the chicken and the egg issue.

To come back at the issue at hand, people use cloud services for fast instances creation, wont really like to go to email and see what the root pass is each time they create one.

• I applied and never got a reply to my ticket

• M, I want to use IPv6 tunnelling from HE, but due to the firewall, it said that tunnelbroker can't ping the cloud IP.

Which port should I open? ICMP or TCP?

edited July 2013

@Dragoon0309 said:
      I applied and never got a reply to my ticket

We dont always reply to tickets, but provision directly. Please PM your ticket number.

Nevermind, I found it, provisining from HostBill is not possible yet, there were some problems at setting up things. From HostBill we will provision fixed instances without direct UI access, so, please open a WHMCS ticket for that full experience (on the prometeus.net panel)

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
      M, I want to use IPv6 tunnelling from HE, but due to the firewall, it said that tunnelbroker can't ping the cloud IP.

Which port should I open? ICMP or TCP?

The VMs have native IPv6 from us, but I suppose if you need it, you will have to allow ICMP, at least for regular ping. I am not sure what other ICMP HE might be using, but it is possible to use others.

Thanked by 1Dragoon0309

• I want to add several IPv6 for testing an application :)
      I have openned the ICMP 0,8,41,7 in the ingress and exgress, but still not working.