Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSCorner - Low I/O, bandwith and extensive downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSCorner - Low I/O, bandwith and extensive downtime

DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
edited July 2013 in Help

Dear users,

I'm having a VPS at VPSCorner. It was acting slow sometimes. So I decided to run a ServerBear Bench script. When I saw the stats, they shocked me. Aren't the disk I/O and bandwith kind of low?

UnixBench score: 1485.7

I/O rate: 14.0 MB/second

Bandwidth rate: 1.7 MB/second

How to improve this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Comments

• awsonawson Member

Ask support

• So nothing to blame myself? :-))

• awsonawson Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    So nothing to blame myself? :-))

Unless you're intentionally draining the IO/bandwidth, it's probably someone else on the same node or just poor node hardware. VPSCorner's support should sort it out for you.

Thanked by 1DennisdeWit
  • @awson switch nodes or providers. that's very low I/O

• Okay, I asked them to investigate the poor performance.

• krokro Member

Can I ask which location/node Dennis ?

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited July 2013

@kro I'm on node 'Evo', which is being hosted in Chisinau, Moldova.

• Got mail. I'm on the punishment corner right now. They throttled my VPS for using the ServerBear bench.

Which is a sad thing, because it was slow before, and that was the reason for running the bench. VPS throttled, just because it is not 'legitimate use'. Mailed them back I just ran it because of the slow state before running the bench.

Hope they will have a listen and unthrottle me. Feel like sitting in a punishment corner.

edited July 2013

They removed the I/OCap. The poor internet speed is 'okay' for Moldova terms. Eh. Begging to differ. The upload speed is slow too, which is causing buffers in my streams. But I'm scared to run a decent upload test. Before I know, I will be throttled again. :-(

• Problem is not solved in the short term, but I'm on a list for node movement. Will be moving to a node with a higher bandwidth. Support admits that some lines in Moldova are not great.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    They removed the I/OCap. The poor internet speed is 'okay' for Moldova terms. Eh. Begging to differ. The upload speed is slow too, which is causing buffers in my streams. But I'm scared to run a decent upload test. Before I know, I will be throttled again. :-(

You should be allowed short periods of high activity. Unless you're running benchmarks all the time you shouldn't be capped for it :(

• Well, I am not. The provider is being very strict, and will be investigating the slow I/O soon. They suspect some other clients running benchmarks constantly to stress the server.

I'm not feeling to move to an other provider. They let me run Shoutcast and Flash Media Server. Most providers don't allow such things.

edited July 2013

They ran some own tests and figured out I'm on a heavily loaded server. FYI: 20 customers one 1 node might be too much.

Now I will be put on a new node which will perform much better (they promise). I'm curious. :-)

• @Jack: Simon

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    So nothing to blame myself? :-))

@DennisdeWit I am also hosted at evo node. I run only one idle bouncer here for now so performance isn't really issue for me however after this thread reading I made quick check minutes ago and node performance really isn't something to brag about.

# free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        524288      18108     506180          0          0      11896
    -/+ buffers/cache:       6212     518076
    Swap:       524288          0     524288

# uptime
     20:29:09 up 20 days, 22:03,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.03, 0.01

# bash bench.sh
    CPU model :    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1695.682 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime :   20 days, 22:03,
    Download speed : (771KB/s)
    I/O speed : 27.2MB/s

#  ioping -c 10 /
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=1 time=23.4 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=2 time=68.0 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=3 time=37.0 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=4 time=20.0 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=5 time=29.9 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=6 time=16.9 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=7 time=79.0 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=8 time=45.5 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=9 time=26.7 ms
    4096 bytes from / (simfs /vz/private/283): request=10 time=28.4 ms

--- / (simfs /vz/private/283) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9375.9 ms, 27 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 16.9/37.5/79.0/19.8 ms
  • I'm on node Alexis now. It seems much faster, according to the I/O-speed.

[root@moldova ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records read
    16384+0 records written
    1073741824 bytes (1,1 GB) copied, 9,27741 s, 116 MB/s

• Damn. I just started FMS, one connection was pushing a lot of cached data on the machine. Now the VPS is down because the system thinks it's a DDoS-attack. The mitigation of DDoS is being far too tight.

• @DennisdeWit The stars are aligning right for you today. Follow Jack and Jill will come tumbling after...

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    I'm on node Alexis now. It seems much faster, according to the I/O-speed.

Out of curiosity, was it live migration (without interruption) and you keeped same IPs or you got new IPs?

• @Zen said:
    You paid extra to move from enterprise nodes in the UK to VPSCorner' Moldova?

From my memory they are back hauling all bandwidth to Romania, and use desktop hardware. I expect this performance is par for the course.

It depends on the location and what he's running on the VPS, for example if I wanted to run a game server I would rather have a VPS in Moldova (considering that I live in Romania) than a VPS in UK.

• @Spirit: It was not a live migration. They just backupped the data, unzipped it at the new node. I have a new IP-address, too.

The point with DotVPS was the bad reliability. But if VPSCorner keeps suspending my VPS every few bits, I will move to MisterHost (they are good on my 512 MB RAM VPS. Nice uptime, fast bandwith). But it costs some more (like 15 euro's a month).

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • Speaking about bad: support is still not available. This will be one day of downtime, as they seem to only support at midnight.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    only support at midnight.

How sweet..

• @Jack said:
    Go get a dedicated server for goodness sake, it seems that every VPS provider will not be good enough for you.

That is not true. Misterhost is excellent for my 512MB VPS. Running 31 days without any outages. :)

edited July 2013

@Jack: IperWeb has not been bad at all. It was just one problem: being on SpamHaus list. It's necessary to send out mails, because the mailserver is being used for freelance jobs. We don't all host servers, you know.
    I just made this topic to get to know if someone had the same problem. Even @Spirit said the node he was on (Evo, just like mine), had not a good performance. So, am I the only one who figured that out? Nope. Now Spirit is tarnishing the reputation of VPSCorner also, because he was critical.

I don't believe VPSCorner put's up limits just to annoy customers. They just have a strict DDoS-mitigation. I don't know why an UK-based company is not supporting at this moment. Maybe it's a lovely day outside or so? ;-)

And no. I don't like to tarnish every providers reputation. I just ask questions. If you can not live with it, that's fine by me. I'm a journalist and it's my nature to ask questions.

Do I buy a new computer every year? Eh. No, I don't. I'm using a Mac which is working like a charm. I recently bought a new MacBook, because the old one was out of software support (it was a secondhanded one).
    I'm having a homeserver which is up for 89 days at this moment. I had two servers before, which did not fit the VT-d requirement. But now, this server is fine. But my internet connection is too slow to host myself (as my ISP won't allow it, in the first place).

I am using MisterHost VPS, but the one is too small for streaming FMS (it requires 1 GB of RAM at least.) This VPS is just for a side project of my brother.

Could it be you're a bit annoyed on me, just because I left DotVPS? Am I not free to chose which VPS I should buy? Never saw a provider discussing with customers why they leave. Especially in public. Enjoy your day, sir.

• No, I do not. Here, a graphic which led to me being offline right now.

https://solusvm.vpscorner.co.uk/graphs/__client/__521/_bandwidth_881f0dcc3a2712b98615a3009adf27d5-fd9ad32757c97902d94102e7af63b588.png

Is that abormal, @Jack? (700 kbps is the amount I normally use for a slideshow with sound for my radiostation)

• I've cancelled my vps from vpscorner last week. It's not good, but it's okay, just $1.5 for the 512mb

edited July 2013
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@ErawanArifNugroho

I thought it was $1.75?

• @Zen: That was what I thought. And that's the reason for getting suspended (because they suspect a DDoS-attack at this number). I think the limit is too low.

This discussion has been closed.