Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me understand

ewrekewrek Member
edited June 2017 in General

I did buy a vps today and don´t understand how they can make profit after asking some questions.

chat log:
http://imgur.com/gallery/JB0Um

I won´t tel the name of the provider for now but i am interested what you guys think about it.

Is this fair?
  1. Is this fair?22 votes
    1. Yes it is Fair not abuse.
      72.73%
    2. tell me the name of the provider. -abuser
      22.73%
    3. They can´t make profit on this.
        4.55%

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

They simply assume that 99% of people will never use it, which is usually the case.

Please also very carefully check the TOS, some of these big bandwidth deals have strict terms not allowing torrents, files to be served over xxmb, no CDN, limited pps allowed, blah blah.

Also, you did not tell us how much you are paying which is fairly important.

The other way is that they just ban you for abuse after 24 hours and refuse to refund you :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

You don't understand how they can sell 100TB bandwidth for an unspecified price? I'm not sure how we can weigh in here.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited June 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    [...]
    [...]

12 euro/Year.

It is a provider that sells on LET, btw.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ewrek said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    [...]
    [...]

12 euro/Year.

It is a provider that sells on LET, btw.

They can most likely sell that because 1 out of 1,000 customers will use anything close to it. Consistently.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited June 2017

a little update: http://imgur.com/gallery/AEUOXyE http://imgur.com/gallery/LWhxpD5

Waiting for the one that want to share popcorn

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just buy it and use it, if it works it works, if it does not work you only lost a dominoes pizza... not the end of the world!

• FritzFritz Veteran

TL;DR

Use the VPS normally, don't think about the limits, follow the TOS and You'll be fine. Even if you use 10.000 TB/month like they said.

• sarahsarah Member

No different than how insurance works. They give a big coverage taking a small amount because the expectation is that most people won't file a claim.....

Thanked by 2jar Falzo
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

probably just OVH server with no limit? and they haven't ran into anyone who actually maxes the port 24/7.

• there always will be someone not using all the BW in the period, so you actually are taking advantages of others'

• williewillie Member

ewrek said:

12 euro/Year.

Ok they're in ridiculous territory now. You need around 300mbit/s 24/7 to send 100TB/mo. You won't get that at 12 euro/year.

• YuraYura Member

@tamicrealo said:
    there always will be someone not using all the BW in the period, so you actually are taking advantages of others'

Bullshit

• ewrekewrek Member

Thx for the reactions. Just want to keep. The original plan was to use max 5TB/month. But i think after this, i can double it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

so 12$ a year for 10TB p. month?

trying to kindly word it like @jarland: you are an ENABLER and you know it ;-)

• ewrekewrek Member

@Falzo said:
    so 12$ a year for 10TB p. month?

trying to kindly word it like @jarland: you are an ENABLER and you know it ;-)

I agree with you that it is a lot. But out of the chats it looks like they don´t care.