Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to use web hosting as email hosting? If possible, how to?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to use web hosting as email hosting? If possible, how to?

Orta9Orta9 Member

Is this possible? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• yes it is. you're welcome

• vovlervovler Member

You mean something like MXroute?

Thanked by 1jar
  • Yes it is, but do not expect a decent delivery percentage.

• @dedipromo said:
    Yes it is, but do not expect a decent delivery percentage.

nope, itt just fine

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2017

It depends. If you use some big shared hosters or some decent small ones, then, they have probably setup their infrastructure to be able to receive and sending emails with a fair deliverability. Or you can setup your own email service in a hosting server (vps, dedi) but this is extremely tricky if you want your messages to be delivered.
    Now, if you have shared hosting (I guess you are the type of guy that is using services like GoDaddy or Hostgator), you just have to point your MX records from your domain to the CPanel account and include DKIM and SPF records along with a reverse dns.
    It would be better, though, to use an external email service: google and MS are offering a good but really expensive option. MXroute by our @Jarland is a much much cheaper but extremely reliable solution especially when it comes to a personal mail server and, of course, there are some big players with hosted email that you can still use your own domain ponting the mx records for free (e.g. Yandex mail).
    But you will probably need in any of those solutions some help from someone that can really handle MX SPF DKIM and all the necessary records for you.

Thanked by 3ndlong75 jar bashlyk
  • didtavdidtav Member

@jvnadr said:
    you can setup your own email service in a hosting server (vps, dedi) but this is extremely tricky if you want your messages to be delivered.

Extremely tricky?

No, it is easy

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

didtav said: No, it is easy

Wish you were true, but unfortunately it is not. In theory, it is easy to comply with global rules (setting DKIM, SPF, rDNS etc.) but it will be easy also to see your ip or domain getting banned from MS/Google/Yahoo or your messages ending in spam can for reasons as "not having good reputation"...
    If OP do know what he is doing, then, setting up a mail server is possible (I do maintain 4 different mail servers atm and more in the past), but my answer was written with the fact that OP does not have capabilities to do it.

Thanked by 2jar bashlyk
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

didtav said: No, it is easy

For personal emails and email traffic of low value, absolutely. If you have a bunch of clients that you're emailing regularly, or a high traffic forum/blog that sends a lot of notifications, your good luck has numbered days.

I'm not advertising my service. Use whatever. But easy? I expect you to refund me a lot of sleepless nights I've spent making sure tens of thousands of end users (my customer's customers) are able to consistently reach their targets when their emails are legitimate and reasonable. Try it at scale for a year and get back to me on that ;)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2017

jarland said: your good luck has numbered days.

I maintain a mail server for a friend that was using a single address (there were just 5 email accounts on that server) for pushing notifications from his website to his gmail account.
    Guess what... It took just two months before google ban not only the ip but the domain also, finding it suspicious because of the "excessive volume of mails" it was sending (no more than 100 per day...).
    I unblocked it using my postmaster account and changing an ip (moving to a different server) to make it resolve the issue faster, but I can imagine how is this to be at a massive scale of for someone that is not an experienced linux administrator and webmaster...

Thanked by 1jar
  • didtavdidtav Member

@jarland said:
    For personal emails and email traffic of low value, absolutely.

@jvnadr said:
    it is easy to comply with global rules (setting DKIM, SPF, rDNS etc.)

let's ask OP if he is going to send tons of emails in a day or just few.

If he only need to send not so much emails in a day, then my response remain the same

• seizureseizure Member
    edited June 2017

if you have problems with emails at your webhost, they'll tell you after a long period from you opening a ticket that "sorry. everything works on our end. ok? bye." the end.

i'm (still) new to mxroute, but they've been nothing but helpful even before i signed on as a customer.

as a low volume user of emails but with multiple forwarders to/fro/thru gmail.com, and having used upwards of 5-6 webhosts (mostly reliable/established companies), i now have no problems recommending using a dedicated email provider if you need a modicum of reliability.

because i had not done it before, and signed on during the work week, it was stressful and difficult for me to get my domain configured successfully (took about 24-48 hours i think for everything to be ironed out) but i really should have done so earlier... previously at a 75% level worry of "i wonder if my email has disappeared?" is pretty much near 0% now.

(and this case of disappearing emails was most recently on the pricier "business" plan with hostgator...)

if you are using the email software and pop3 accounts administered through your webhost, i think you'll probably be fine. beyond that (and at higher volumes) i would not do it.

also, many webhosts have a very low hourly outgoing email count - chances are you'd have to raise a ticket to get it increased if there are more than a few users on it.

cheaper web hosts probably won't approve an increase in this limit...

• @didtav said:

@jvnadr said:
    you can setup your own email service in a hosting server (vps, dedi) but this is extremely tricky if you want your messages to be delivered.

Extremely tricky?

No, it is easy

No, it's impossible, Jarland is the only one in the world who can do that.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

ScienceOnline said: No, it's impossible, Jarland is the only one in the world who can do that.

You forgot the /sarcasm tag.
    No, a lot of people can setup a mail server. There are also plenty of automatic installers that can help you do it on a vps or a dedi server.
    Tricky thing is not to setup a mail server to work. Tricky thing is to maintain the server for the long term, to achieve best deliverability, to ensure that your sending emails will reach the inbox of the recipient and not the spam can or, even worse, a black hole...
    Mail server needs a lot more of maintenance and monitoring than a web hosting server. In fact, smpt server needs that (an incoming pop server is much more safe, as the worse thing on a bad server will be an inbox full of spam/malware). And it need time.
    Jarland's (and every Jarland out there that involves in mail industry) is his job to maintain mail servers, watch and learn what's new in mail hosting industry (techniques for keeping the server reliable, clean and reputable), how to quickly delist a server/ip/domain when will be marked as "fraud", "spam" or "suspicious".

TL'DR it is irresponsible to tell a newbie or a non-tech guy that it is easy to have his own mail server for production state. Setup one and learn? Of course. This is the first step for knowledge. Play with it? Yes. Use it for non-critical mail domain? Yes.
    But move his main email to his own infrastructure when he is inexperience? This is just a bad advice.

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

I've installed forum software on shared hosting and found out that without touching any kind of configs involving email, it started sending emails and it worked just fine.

This isn't the case if you run it on your own server and you just installed httpd and php with the default configs.

GMail is kinda a b*tch when it comes to emails sent from shared hosting, it likes to mark them with this even though I set up an SPF record,

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ethancedrik said:
    I've installed forum software on shared hosting and found out that without touching any kind of configs involving email, it started sending emails and it worked just fine.

This isn't the case if you run it on your own server and you just installed httpd and php with the default configs.

Those things are very relative. Should work out of the box on well managed and configured shared hosting, will fail miserably on others. Similarly, if your VPS somewhere is named with an FQDN and has its PTR record set, as well as has decent IP reputation, emails will generally work fine out of the box as well.

Either holds roughly equal potential to become better or worse at any point as well.