Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Database Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Database Server

I'm working on developing a web application that I plan to use host on a VPS. I have a SSD cached VPS with 512 mb of ram from RamNode. I now need to choose the database server I'm going to use. I'm open to using MySQL, a MySQL drop in replacement, or a NoSQL database like MongoDB. What database server will offer me the best performance? The application should not be under high load, but if it does come under high load, I would like to be able to manage the traffic. Thanks!

Comments

• blackblack Member

MySQL sounds fine, I personally use Percona.

• Go with MySQL - you can scale with MySQL Galera cluster easily. Percona has packaged it nicely.

• MySQL is usually the standard due to its wide scale and functionality and wide market use.

• It depends on your use case though. NoSQL might not be able to solve all your problems. We use MongoDB and have found it great. Depends on your programming language. Converting SQL to object oriented languages just creates lots of overhead and is a pain to maintain.

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • @concerto49 In my time at the shore a few trendy web companies were going the Mongo route I'm on the fence but +1

• I'm thinking NoSQL, might be a good way to go, because I'm thinking of writing the application using Node.js, and BackBone.js on the client side. The only thing is in the past, I have only used MySQL.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@caperailfan said:
    I'm thinking NoSQL, might be a good way to go, because I'm thinking of writing the application using Node.js, and BackBone.js on the client side. The only thing is in the past, I have only used MySQL.

It depends on what your application does and what kinds of data you need to use

• What database server will offer me the best performance?

There's really no way to answer that without knowing anything about your web application. For some uses PostgreSQL will outperform MySQL...and for other uses it won't. It all depends on your web application.