Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to backup VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to backup VPS ?

With the deals on LET + LEB so Dirt Cheap, I have a few VPS that I have no idea what to do with it. So, I am thinking about backup my vps into another vps. Is that even possible ? I am talking about daily backup 10 Wordpress Websites. It's about 2GB of Website.

Comments

• overclockoverclock Member
    edited June 2017

mysqldump -hlocalhost -uroot -proot > sql.sql

• @yokowasis said:
    With the deals on LET + LEB so Dirt Cheap, I have a few VPS that I have no idea what to do with it. So, I am thinking about backup my vps into another vps. Is that even possible ? I am talking about daily backup 10 Wordpress Websites. It's about 2GB of Website.

Just schedule daily or weekly backups to some offshore location if you are using cPanel. cPanel have the backup feature so you can configure that.

If you are using vesta or any other control panel they also have the backup option that you can use as well.

You can either buy a vps with large amount of ram, or storage space to backup your files.

And it is the first thing any system administrator would do. :)

• I'm using automysqlbackup for automated MySQL backups to the local disk and then I'm backing up my system with rsnapshot to a dedicated server.

• sonicsonic Veteran

mysqldump + zip + rsync

• All of the solution looks complicated. I don't have cPanel. I am a cheapskate. I am using Kloxo-MR right now.

I get the gist on mysqldump. What about the files ? Is Zip is the way to go ? should I send zip over ftp to another vps ? I have google drive unlimited, wouldn't it be better if I upload it to google drive ? and is it really possible to upload to google drive using command line in linux ?

I literally have no idea what rsync is, except that it can somehow sync my files ? Any comprehensive tutorial that I can follow ? The shorter the tutorial, the better.

• Is it just me or you guys have hard time stop buying some vps and eventually end up with vps that I have no idea what to do with it.

• @yokowasis said:
    Is it just me or you guys have hard time stop buying some vps and eventually end up with vps that I have no idea what to do with it.

Join the club! I have more VPSes than I can think of doing stuff with. IMO, I got them at great deals, so I am having a hard time letting go. I would say they are in varying stages of readiness (as web servers), I really need to make a plan to use them.

I would probably not feel as bad as I do right now if I also didn't buy a bunch of domain names during their sunrise period. I have more domains than I need and more VPSes than I require.

• I got caught up in my story that I forgot to address your main question. rsync is probably a good option. Here is a introduction & basics tutorial for rsync - https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-reference/tools/introduction-to-rsync/

Tip: DigitalOcean Knowledge Guides & Linode docs are great repos for VPS beginners. They don't assume you are an expert and are usually well written.

• you can have Cpanel backup option if you have Cpanel/WHM, the other option is R1soft, or just scp option to remote location.

• I end up using gdrive and sync the home folder and MySQL backup. Put it in the daily Cron job.

Is it a good idea ? Since I have unlimited g suite space , I might as well use it.

Is syncing between using rsync a better idea ?

• Just synchronizing things daily is not really a backup IMO. You need to keep some version history for it to work, or you will end up with broken site and broken backup (already synchronized with broken site). You can either do it manually by creating multiple copies and deleting old ones using simple shell script, or use specialized tools like borgbackup or rdiff-backup.

Also if you want to create archives - use tar instead of zip...

• How about syncing it to different remote folder based on day ? that way I have 7 revision.

@Gamma17 said:
    Just synchronizing things daily is not really a backup IMO. You need to keep some version history for it to work, or you will end up with broken site and broken backup (already synchronized with broken site). You can either do it manually by creating multiple copies and deleting old ones using simple shell script, or use specialized tools like borgbackup or rdiff-backup.

• seanhoseanho Member

Yes, and add rsync protocol for efficient transfer, and block-level dedup, and compression, encryption, and a nice control interface, etc. -- and you're on your way to re-implementing borg-backup. It's not all that intimidating to configure, give it a whirl before trusting your data to it:

http://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Place shifter into "R" usually all the way back. Then check blind spots before releasing break and rolling backwards (use small about of gas if needed)

• @Gamma17 said:
    Just synchronizing things daily is not really a backup IMO. You need to keep some version history for it to work, or you will end up with broken site and broken backup (already synchronized with broken site). You can either do it manually by creating multiple copies and deleting old ones using simple shell script, or use specialized tools like borgbackup or rdiff-backup.

gdrive keeps revision history as well.

• You are right. But the revision is only on file level. No revision history for folder. Maybe I will just tar the folder and sync the tar to google drive. But, it will use more cpu and more bandwidth.

Maybe syncing daily to different folder each day is a better approach in this case. CPU Wise, I don't need to use the cpu to tar the folder. Bandwidth wise I don't need to upload the whole websites everyday. Best scenario, I only upload mysql databases.

What do you guys think ?

@varunchopra said:

@Gamma17 said:

gdrive keeps revision history as well.