Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storj for storage/backup/video streaming
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storj for storage/backup/video streaming

palanetpalanet Member
edited June 2017 in Reviews

What do you guys think about https://storj.io/ ?
Has anyone used it? From what i have read, your data is stored on 6 different nodes so it won't be possible to lose it. I also found that you can also stream video files from their network.

Price:

Storage: $0.015per GB per month

Bandwidth: $0.05per GB downloaded

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

It is possible to loose anything. Always be prepared.

Don't know about those bandwidth prices for streaming video, it's something I have been looking into for long term storage of smaller files though.

• @trewq said:
    It is possible to loose anything. Always be prepared.

Don't know about those bandwidth prices for streaming video, it's something I have been looking into for long term storage of smaller files though.

Look what i found on video streaming: https://docs.storj.io/v1.1/docs/getting-started#section-9-streaming-an-audio-or-video-file

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

palanet said: Bandwidth: $0.05per GB downloaded

This is definitely not cheap traffic...

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • saf31saf31 Member

Found this in the FAQ:

"We are giving every user 25 GB storage and 25 GB bandwidth (every month!) free for 12 months. If you use less than that, you won’t be billed."

So anyone can give them a try.

• The pay is very low. For renting out 4TB you get around $20~ avg and they even said in their chat that this value is going constantly.

Also why do they charge SO MUCH for downloading? 5 cents per GB is just way too much even if it's used for a backup server, they'll be spending quite a bit to simply get their files back.

• kendidkendid Veteran

Backblaze B2 is quite a bit cheaper... and a little more well known...
    https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

If you need streaming and backup -- going with 1fichier.com - currently 10euro/yr

• Storj, Sia & friends are all terribly optimized, and even though your data may be "in six places", you have no idea if next week the storjcoins or whatever might crash in price making everyone holding your data say "fuck it" and wipe your stuff

• More than possible to lose your files, especially as it's located on any client machine. Meaning, it's technically not impossible for those 6 machines with the shard to go offline then you won't get your data back until they come back online.

There are other cheaper alternatives.

• MeijeMeije Member

Hi, Storj community leader here.

@TheRealMakan -> The payment for used space is 7$/TB/month, that's 28$ for 4TB of used space. This is without adding base payout and upload bandwidth. So the final number can be significantly higher. That is not a low pay, its actually too high at this point, otherwise it won't be attractive for renters to use. Expect the price to drop in the future.

@kendid -> Even though Backblaze is cheaper, Storj is way more secure (both on encryption and redundancy) and Faster (way faster).

@texteditor -> that is not correct, payouts are in USD equivalent, if the token drops in price more tokens will be distributed. If farmers go offline then replication is triggered. If they wipe your files they won't get payed.

@HyperSpeed -> nope that is not the case, with reed solmon and erasure encoding 75% of the file can be gone and you can still retrieve the file with the parity shards.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • QuartxQuartx Member

Storj community member here

Storj is going for cloud providers like S3 as its probably main competitor, its storage and bandwidth pricing are both way lower than that.

There is no incentive for farmers to throw away your contracts, Storj uses sjcx counterparty token as a current payment method but ultimately payments are pegged to USD, when prices drop to oblivion, farmers would rather keep tokens than dump them, they are in the process of shifting to an ethereum based token. After that, expect the network to get even more stable than it is now.

@Hyperspeed It is definitely much more difficult to lose your data than S3, perhaps you should try looking at Storj's implementation "technically"

@Meije Hi :D

• @TheRealMakan said:
    The pay is very low. For renting out 4TB you get around $20~ avg and they even said in their chat that this value is going constantly.

Also why do they charge SO MUCH for downloading? 5 cents per GB is just way too much even if it's used for a backup server, they'll be spending quite a bit to simply get their files back.

$50 to retrieve 1000GB :(

Thanked by 2TheRealMakan Pwner
  • @doghouch said:

@TheRealMakan said:
    The pay is very low. For renting out 4TB you get around $20~ avg and they even said in their chat that this value is going constantly.

$50 to retrieve 1000GB :(

Exactly! Like I understand it's mainly supposed to be just used to backup data you'll pretty much never access. However, I've got around 4TB of files in my home, if I were to backup everything and let's say my house burns down, $200 is just WAY too much for 4TB. Other websites such as OVH's Cloud storage is simply $0.015/GB downloaded, which is a fine price judging that storing the files is also the same cost as this one.

• If you want to create your own distributed redundant end-to-end encrypted storage, where storage nodes don't need to be trusted as they don't know what are they storing, take a look at tahoe-lafs.org/.

It works over usual Internet and over Tor and I2P. You can create your own node pool or join existent. There's a rather large pool of 30+ nodes in I2P.

There's a commercial storage provider for Tahoe-LAFS: https://leastauthority.com/

• Still looking for storage vps.

• bapbap Member

nothing lasts forever, and anything is possible. :)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I hear bigvps is soon to release some sweet storage spaces