Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for deals on 8-16 core VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for deals on 8-16 core VPS

taewootaewoo Member
edited June 2017 in Requests

SSD required. Nice to have hourly billing but would consider monthly if the deal was good enough

Please post your deals. Location not important.

Comments

• Go for linode; 8 cores for $.24/hour

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

taewoo said: SSD required

what specs for hard drive and RAM do you need?

• If CPU type doesnt matter, have a look at scaleway

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2017

LunaNode, iwStack

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

dedicated cores or burstable?

Thanked by 1bersy
  • OVH France i think

Cloud 4 - 2017
    8 vCPU
    8 GB RAM
    50 GB SSD NVMe
    2 IPv4
    IPV6 Available
    1Gbps unmetered

€8.93
    Monthly

https://www.dedicenter.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=152

• taewootaewoo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    dedicated cores or burstable?

dedicated

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited June 2017

taewoo said: dedicated

Then why not go fully dedicated instead of virtual? As in Hetzner/OVH/Online.net.

If you don't require ECC RAM, the new Ryzen server from Hetzner is the best deal you can get: https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ax60ssd

Thanked by 1bersy
  • taewootaewoo Member

@WebProject said:

taewoo said: SSD required

what specs for hard drive and RAM do you need?

doesn't have to be large, but not terribly small. 8gb+ ram

edited June 2017

VPS nodes are generally significantly higher spec than a regular dedi, as such the cost per core will be much higher for fully dedicated VPS cores, you will get a much cheaper price for fully dedicated cores with a dedicated server.

Obviously, if you just want dedicated cores at a vps price.. best of luck to you.

• Just rent dedicated server it will be more powerfull and cheaper

• taewootaewoo Member

@AnthonySmith said:

VPS nodes are generally significantly higher spec than a regular dedi, as such the cost per core will be much higher for fully dedicated VPS cores, you will get a much cheaper price for fully dedicated cores with a dedicated server.

Obviously, if you just want dedicated cores at a vps price.. best of luck to you.

I was answering the question: "dedicated cores or burstable?"

• taewootaewoo Member
    edited June 2017

OH sweet. Good find. But sucks that I can't filter by # of cores.

But are these bare metal or VPS?

taewoo said: I was answering the question: "dedicated cores or burstable?"

yes, I understand that, and you said: dedicated

to put that in context, 16 dedicated cores is 2 x E3 processors (2 physical servers), or on an E5 it is more than 1 entire CPU, if you want dedicated, you want them all for yourself i.e. no one else can use them.

So a VPS is possible with 16 dedicated cores.. but frankly a dedicated server will be cheaper, expect to pay about $50 - $100 for a dedicated server with 8 cores (or 16 threads) depending on the age of the server.

For a VPS with 16 cores, double or triple that.

CPU is the most scarce resource on a VPS node.

Not having a go at you, just explaining my perspective.

• taewootaewoo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    So a VPS is possible with 16 dedicated cores.. but frankly a dedicated server will be cheaper, expect to pay about $50 - $100 for a dedicated server with 8 cores (or 16 threads) depending on the age of the server.

Mmm, i see your point. Any thoughts on scaleway?

• @taewoo said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Mmm, i see your point. Any thoughts on scaleway?

Crap per-core performance due to being hosted on atoms. Multiply your request with 2 for the amount of cores you actually have to buy to get the same performance.

Go with hetzner.

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited June 2017

@taewoo said:

OH sweet. Good find. But sucks that I can't filter by # of cores

Well, Hetzner doesn't normally have dual socket so you can filter for Xeon E5. And they will be significantly more expensive than the Ryzen 1700X machine.

Out of interest, why do you need 8-16 cores exactly? 8 Atom or ARM cores don't compare to 8 Xeon/Ryzen cores, pure core count doesn't really mean much.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited June 2017

@taewoo

All baremetal. Though, they should do just fine if you can find one with 8 cores.

For example, there's one with 8 threads for 31 euros/month, with a Intel Xeon E3-1245V2 CPU.

Or, this one with an Intel Core i7-980x, for 30.25 euros/month, which comes with 6 cores/12 threads.

Likewise, if you go with Kimsufi, this one costs 25 euros/month, you'll get the full 8 cores with the KS-5.

• williewillie Member

teamacc said: Crap per-core performance due to being hosted on atoms.

The Scaleway performance instances are on D-1531 though those have just 6 physical cores.

I tried a 16 core(thread?) Vultr for an hour or two just for laughs and it was a bit faster than my Hetzner i7-3770 but not by all that much. OVH also has large hourly instances which didn't do all that great at Geekbench considering their cost.

Basically I'd suggest looking for ways to parallelize your problem over multiple smaller vps or dedis.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • XeiXei Member
    edited June 2017

@willie said:

teamacc said: Crap per-core performance due to being hosted on atoms.

The Scaleway performance instances are on D-1531 though those have just 6 physical cores.

I tried a 16 core(thread?) Vultr for an hour or two just for laughs and it was a bit faster than my Hetzner i7-3770 but not by all that much. OVH also has large hourly instances which didn't do all that great at Geekbench considering their cost.

Basically I'd suggest looking for ways to parallelize your problem over multiple smaller vps or dedis.

So the Hetzner 3770 is almost the same compared to Vultrs maximum offering? You have the comparison or benchmark? May pick up a 3770 possibly. Was thinking the Vultr and Scaleway work load servers would blow that out of the water... I guess it was hype.

• williewillie Member

The Scaleway D-1531 is about the same as the i7-3770. The big Vultr was maybe 1.5x the i7 but it wasn't 5x or anything like that. I think I posted some numbers when I did that a few months ago but don't know how to find the post now. You're better off scaling to multiple boxes if your problem allows it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

30 euro on netcup RS 4000 ?

12 core of E5 2680 v4 , 24 GB DDR4 , 120GB SSD or 960 GB SAS , raid 10.
    only downside with it is network limit , 1gbps port for share and can't occupy over 80 mbps more than 15 minutes.

• taewootaewoo Member

@caygriweb said:
    managed or unmanaged?

unmanaged

• taewootaewoo Member

@jgillich said:
    Out of interest, why do you need 8-16 cores exactly? 8 Atom or ARM cores don't compare to 8 Xeon/Ryzen cores, pure core count doesn't really mean much.

Basically a LARGE computation set. I'm running quant financnce models so my servers are constantly being bombarded with high CPU usage. i.e. high permutation algorithms that take anywhere between 20s to 1min.. but shitload of them

• taewootaewoo Member

By the way, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Completely random but how on earth do these bare metal guys stay in business if I'm maxing out the CPU 24x7? Im not data center finance guru, but im guessing rent + electricity (i know it's much more expensive in EU than in US, for example) + overhead must be well below what they charge, but still.. havnig a hard tme understanding how they make money. If anyone knows the finances, would glad if you can point out URL or something.

• taewootaewoo Member

@qtwrk said:

only downside with it is network limit , 1gbps port for share and can't occupy over 80 mbps more than 15 minutes.

Netcup page says "Root Server - combines adventages of dedicatet and virtual server". So what on earth does that mean? I'm assuming these are real cores.. not vCPU.

• saibalsaibal Member

@taewoo said: I'm assuming these are real cores

While not a fully dedicated server, Netcup's root servers come with dedicated threads. You can max them 24x7.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited June 2017

@taewoo said:

@qtwrk said:

Netcup page says "Root Server - combines adventages of dedicatet and virtual server". So what on earth does that mean? I'm assuming these are real cores.. not vCPU.

my personal understanding is that a VPS with dedicated resources , CPU , RAM and disk.

and yes ,they are real core , E5 2680 v4, and like @saibal said , you can max them out 24x7

• williewillie Member

Taewoo, yeah, get some dedis, maybe with gpu's if your software can use them. I wouldn't mess with vps for something like this, if you're using the cpu a lot. There's no free lunch.