Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More hacking by the CIA, as if the release of ransomware wasn't enough
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More hacking by the CIA, as if the release of ransomware wasn't enough

Home routers from 10 manufacturers, including Linksys, DLink, and Belkin, can be turned into covert listening posts that allow the Central Intelligence Agency to monitor and manipulate incoming and outgoing traffic and infect connected devices. That’s according to secret documents posted Thursday by WikiLeaks.

blacklistednews.com/Advanced_CIA_Firmware_Has_Been_Infecting_Wi-Fi_Routers_for_Years/59172/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Thanked by 1default

Comments

• Can't go on the web anymore without something monitoring or watching you. I guess the best defence is don't have a reason for anyone to monitor you.

• YuraYura Member

@SixWebSolutions said:
    I guess the best defence is don't have a reason for anyone to monitor you.

Not in the slightest. The whole problem is they monitor EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, that's their goal. Before, they had no means to accomplish that and tried to target specific groups (corporate players, dissidents, activists, journalists, foreign actors, terrorists(lol)). Now they don't differentiate and grab all to figure out how to exploit data at later dates.

Also read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

Thanked by 2netomx muratai
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I just read this (quickly) I can't see any counter, just a description of the argument and its origins?

• YuraYura Member

@AnthonySmith said:

I just read this (quickly) I can't see any counter, just a description of the argument and its origins?

Scroll down a bit, there is a section "Arguments for and against", for starters.

hmm I dont know, looks pretty piss weak to me :)

example: Edward Snowden: "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." [13]

"When you say, ‘I have nothing to hide,’ you’re saying, ‘I don’t care about this right.’ You’re saying, ‘I don’t have this right, because I’ve got to the point where I have to justify it.’ The way rights work is, the government has to justify its intrusion into your rights."[14]

--

No one is saying they don't care about the right to privacy, just that they have nothing to hide personally so it does not concern them personally.

It seems that the extream views on this like to put people with nothing to hide in a box and label them as not caring about the 'right' when that is really not true.

Just FYI, I am not really arguing for anti-privacy here, I am just saying I kind of agree that if your online, someone is watching if you care, don't go online, or dont go online and do anything that anyone would care about.

Anyway, we could go down a 40-page rabbit hole on this, I think there are arguments on both sides but usually, very little balance is found, and my position is more one of balance.

I generally find the people who take this super seriously are the ones either enabling or directly contributing towards something that is at least legally a gray area.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited June 2017

Nothing to hide arguments can be easily countered by "upload your naked pictures to the web" (@nekki not welcome, sorry) and "send me your creditcard number".

Suddenly people have lots to hide, they just didn't know it.

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware

teamacc said: Nothing to hide arguments can be easily countered by "upload your naked pictures to the web"

Or dont take naked pictures on web access devices, pinhole camera only :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"An exploit code-named Tomato"

I think there's also one code-named DD-WRT.

Thanked by 4MikeA netomx Hxxx Pwner
  • AnthonySmith said: No one is saying they don't care about the right to privacy, just that they have nothing to hide personally so it does not concern them personally.

To me it's a matter of principle. I put a lot of information on the net. On purpose in fact. However, there are some things that I don't wish to reveal and would not like others to find out. I think everyone is in that position. One example off the top of my head, would be my banking login. We all have information we would rather not share.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Ole_Juul said:

AnthonySmith said: No one is saying they don't care about the right to privacy, just that they have nothing to hide personally so it does not concern them personally.

To me it's a matter of principle. I put a lot of information on the net. On purpose in fact. However, there are some things that I don't wish to reveal and would not like others to find out. I think everyone is in that position. One example off the top of my head, would be my banking login. We all have information we would rather not share.

What use would be your bank login to the Gov anyway ? They have information about all payments in and out anyway.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

I know. Ddwrt just sucks.

• Clouvider said: What use would be your bank login to the Gov anyway ? They have information about all payments in and out anyway.

Exactly. Hiding basic information from the government serves no purpose. It is the commercial data bases with really personal information which are the issue.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

I'm shocked, shocked, shocked! Who would've thought that the super friendly cia people (who just happen to have to habit to gratuiously murder people and to start "revolutions") would do something like that?

It must certainly be good for us and we are just too stupid to understand why it's good for us.

Quick first defense step: Nevar evar use your dsl plastic modem's built in firewall and router but have a separate box under your control (OpenBSD, pfsense & Co) between your plastic box (which is to be regarded as enemy territory) and your network. That is especially true for wireless. If you use your plastic modem box as access point, don't complain as you begged for it!

• Is openwrt safe?

• YuraYura Member

@muratai said:
    Is openwrt safe?

Yes. CIA confirmed it to be absolutely safe.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@netomx said:

@raindog308 said:

Hmm.. so there is no safe 3rd party firmware? Currently using Padavan on my miwifi

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@NanoG6 said:

@netomx said:

@raindog308 said:

Hmm.. so there is no safe 3rd party firmware? Currently using Padavan on my miwifi

I use OpenWRT

• How about Huawei?

• cyberpersons said: How about Huawei?

It's separate from the government and in fact competes with the government equivalent.

• If CIA has such ability, NSA should be more advanced. Not sure what other abilities they have

• @Ole_Juul said:

cyberpersons said: How about Huawei?

It's separate from the government and in fact competes with the government equivalent.

Thats great. :)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2017