Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The rotten apple spoiled the bunch, RIP Amazon Drive Unlimited :(
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The rotten apple spoiled the bunch, RIP Amazon Drive Unlimited :(

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

So I got this e-mail the other day and was surprised it wasn't posted here yet since Amazon Drive has been popping up in threads lately.

Amazon is no longer offering an unlimited storage plan.

>

At any time during your trial period, you can cancel your plan or switch to a new annual >storage plan of 100 GB for $11.99 per year, or $59.99 per 1 TB per year up to 30 TB, by >visiting your Manage Storage page.

>

If you have auto-renew turned on and less than 1 TB of data, you will start a 1 TB plan for >$59.99 per year when your trial ends. If you have auto-renew turned off or have over 1 TB of >data, we will notify you by email before your trial end date to remind you that you will need >to choose a new storage plan. If you do not choose a plan, digital files that exceed your >allotted free storage will be deleted after a grace period of 180 days in accordance with our >Data Retention Policy.

>

For more information about our storage plan changes, please visit our FAQ page.

>

Thank you,

>

Amazon

It looks like the people who were backing up their archive of ISOs in triplicate finally forced Amazon's hand. This sticks because it was a really nice backup source for my legitimate data. Looks like I'm heading back to CrashPlan. :(

Comments

• Hmm... 100gb for 12$/y is nice for average consumer who doesn't know about LET deals.

I believe even Dropbox didn't have a 100gb tier last I checked.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Thanks, I have to stop relying on the built in search function on LET. :(

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I would merge them but that's less fun to do when not on the same page, so I'm down for another thread about it, not like it breaks anything :)

If you want pay per usage for just storage that you don't plan to access constantly, B2 is just stupid cheap right now.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I know someone who was using the Amazon fuse client a while back and mounting is Amazon storage on a server which shows up as 256TB and that was the transmission download directory.

I am 100% sure that was very far from unique, I don't know how possible that is now this was back in around 2010, but it is this sort of abuse that causes this sort of thing.

Such is life, someone else will see it is a market gap and try and offer the same thing to replace it soon enough, that will last a few years as well :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited June 2017

Does Amazon offer FTP/SFTP access? That's my major problem with all of these large storage providers, they force you to use their terrible client.

I'm working on a cPanel backup specific project, I find most regular users i.e HostGator customers, etc... not people on here, do not backup regularly and rely upon their host's backups which is a terrible idea. I think those kind of people would pay $5/mo for 100GB of storage, will probably reach out to some smaller hosts for a partnership deal.

• Proof that "Unlimited" doesn't truly exist. It will, at some point, bite you.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2017

@KuJoe said:

It looks like the people who were backing up their archive of ISOs in triplicate finally forced Amazon's hand

Bullshit. You think Amazon doesn't have any engineers who can implement a "disable if more than X TB"?

• XeiXei Member

I have to backup my exabyte elsewhere now.

deadbeef said: Bullshit. You think Amazon doesn't have any engineers who can implement a "disable if more than X TB"?

"unlimited" they could not do that, I mean they could, but implementing the "don't be a dick" policy as above seemed to be the preferable option.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

deadbeef said: Bullshit. You think Amazon doesn't have any engineers who can implement a "disable if more than X TB"?

"unlimited" they could not do that, I mean they could, but implementing the "don't be a dick" policy as above seemed to be the preferable option.

The cell phone companies call it "fair use policy". So, despite the dis-ingenuity of "unlimited" + "yeah limited, but we don't call it that", it wouldn't be earth shattering if Amazon did it too.

deadbeef said: it wouldn't be earth shattering if Amazon did it too.

Very true, I can't honestly say I have ever read their policy, I assume from this thread they did not have a FUP?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @AnthonySmith said:

I assume from this thread they did not have a FUP?

I don't know. I see two options:

a) Amazon is unbelievably ignorant and stupid.

b) Amazon was planning to limit from the start, capitalizing on the average user having been accustomed to the storage use + the integration with the prime photos functionality (which is really good) and then stick with the service.

My money is on b)

• LeeLee Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

Very true, I can't honestly say I have ever read their policy, I assume from this thread they did not have a FUP?

Not so much fair use but there were restrictions on what you could store, how effectively they policed it is another story though.

edited June 2017

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

It looks like the people who were backing up their archive of ISOs in triplicate finally forced Amazon's hand

Bullshit. You think Amazon doesn't have any engineers who can implement a "disable if more than X TB"?

They can, but their PR and legal teams would need to get involved. By getting rid of the unlimited plan they won't have to deal with potential lawsuits or bad PR.

• @KuJoe said:

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

They can, but their PR and legal teams would need to get involved. By getting rid of the unlimited plan they won't have to deal with potential lawsuits or bad PR.

My point is that it was all intentional from the start. See my posts above explaining it.

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

@deadbeef said:

@KuJoe said:

My point is that it was all intentional from the start. See my posts above explaining it.

Possibly, I don't think so though.