Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 128MB enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is 128MB enough?

I am new to VPS . Is 128MB enough to run a XMPP server and an Email server simultaneously . Will there be enough space to run a Web server too ?

Comments

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited July 2013

@challapradyumna said:
    XMPP server

Do you want to use Windows??

Else For static Website, an optimized setting may run a Web Server with Email server
    easily. Though 256 MB OpenVZ is also available quite cheap.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

LNMP runs fine on my 128M box.

• Windows - No . Strictly want to use linux for the learning experience . There is ejabberd for XMPP server .

• @challapradyumna said:
    I am new to VPS . Is 128MB enough to run a XMPP server and an Email server simultaneously . Will there be enough space to run a Web server too ?

How much is your time worth to "fine tune" your VPS and what is your budget like

• edited July 2013

I have a month holidays between semester . Just read a book on XMPP standards and its implementation so just want to try it out on a live server . And things like these are not available on shared host so wanted to try out VPS . http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/versatile-it-10year-128mb-openvz-vps-in-phoenix-arizona/ the phoeinx reborn plan looks good to me . Just need to find a way to pay since i do not have any credit cards but that is another problem .

• MikeInMikeIn Member

See this one :- my.shardhost.com/cart.php?gid=4
    @ShardHost

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Unfortunately it has only 5GB HDD

• I will not be storing any files except the databases so 5Gb should be enough . BTW noobish doubt - Should we install the OS or the VPS comes with a standard OS ?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

If it is KVM you have to install via VNC or template(but when ordering it comes with the OS you select). In OVZ you just reinstall with templates.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@challapradyumna

Depending upon the provider, But mostly, they have some common OS Templates like CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and some other...
    You can also find some OS Templates with Webhosting control panel like Kloxo/ virtualmin etc..

In 5 GB space you will get about 2.5

• edited July 2013

@challapradyumna said:
    I will not be storing any files except the databases so 5Gb should be enough . BTW noobish doubt - Should we install the OS or the VPS comes with a standard OS ?

We have KVM installation by template. It is just as easy to install as openVZ. Simply choose operating system from a list and click install.

We have templates for all major linux distributions.

• In most cases, a box with 128M memory is enough to run DNMP stack.

• MiBMiB Member

As for an XMPP server, if you are not going to provide service for hundreds of users, take a look at Prosody. It's a simple and easy to configure XMPP server. Mine is using less than 5 MB RSS with a few users connected. Or, you can use something like Hosted.IM which is free for 5 users.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

If it's an OpenVZ VPS then it might be enough. Not KVM. OpenVZ VPS is not running a kernel so it doesn't use as much memory.

• RelipRelip Member

@sman How about Xen? Same as KVM?

• ShardHost is offering 256Mb with KVM would that be enough . Versatile has OpenVZ but they are offering only 128MB

• Bought it From @ShardHost