Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode Block Storage Beta
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode Block Storage Beta

Comments

• for pricing nothing interesting

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Welcome to 2015, Linode!

Thanked by 2yomero sin
  • yomeroyomero Member

Interesting. Hopefully this will be released to public soon, because I have some machines there which are getting bigger just because we need the extra storage.

And a little bit offtopic, I am waiting fo this feature on DigitalOcean SFO1, any idea @jarland It seems to be the only region that didn't receive any news on the last round about the availability of extra storage, and I have some droplets there fighting for space =(

• @raindog308 said:
    Welcome to 2015, Linode!

It's pretty funny. First, people accused VULTR of being a clone of DO (who proceeded to release new and more exciting features, ultimately leading to DO taking inspiration)... Is it Linode's turn yet?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

yomero said: And a little bit offtopic, I am waiting fo this feature on DigitalOcean SFO1, any idea @jarland It seems to be the only region that didn't receive any news on the last round about the availability of extra storage, and I have some droplets there fighting for space =(

Afraid I don't have any info about that at the moment :(

Thanked by 1yomero

yomero said: And a little bit offtopic, I am waiting fo this feature on DigitalOcean SFO1, any idea @jarland It seems to be the only region that didn't receive any news on the last round about the availability of extra storage, and I have some droplets there fighting for space =(

SFO2 has block storage...with snapshots and such, it'd be pretty easy to move, no?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

ColdfusionFS.

Francisco

Thanked by 2vimalware yomero
  • williewillie Member

0.10/gb for redundant ssd is about normal I think. Similar to Vultr/DO. Online.net has a HA SSD SAN product which is 30 euro/256GB or about 0.12 euro/GB. OVH similar I think. It doesn't seem so easy to do much better.

edited June 2017

@amarc said:
    It's expensive.. period. I am not paying $10 for 100GB disk when I can get VPS with 100GB SSD and 2GB RAM for $10. Vultr,DO,Linode are nothing special.. it's just VPS.

We all thoroughly appreciate you letting us know that you have no use case for hourly billed self provisioned servers or locally mounted storage volumes. You get a gold star. Everyone is incredibly impressed right now.

• amarc said: It's expensive

Yes, it's expensive. But I've Linode 8GB but I need 20 GB disk more, It's cheaper get additional storage than spin another vps right?

for some reason move to another vps/dedicated server/cloud out of question.

• dynamodynamo Member

msg7086 said: Let us know where you can find 100GB 3x replication high-availability all-SSD/NVMe storage VPS with that price.

Does not matter if its 3x or 33x replicated as when the disaster strikes all providers and their fan boys will provide you the same lecture: "You should have made your own backups"

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You're also assuming they aren't lying.

It's easy enough to just dump a lot of SSD's into a ceph cluster and have 50 - 100TB of SSD cache and you likely able to keep much of your working set in that and off spinning rust.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited June 2017

Someone commenting on this thread took it way off topic to an inappropriate degree and said I could ban them, so I nuked the conversation (and the user) from orbit. I greatly appreciate their permission, following their inability to debate without getting too personal. Discuss that action elsewhere, just leaving the notification here in case anyone wonders what happened.

Francisco said: ColdfusionFS.

My Bing skills are weak. Everything I googled about that resulted in either

(1) Adobe propaganda about their Cold Fusion web design thing, or

(2) Pons & Fleischmann stories from the 80s about physics

Do you have a link? Unless you're just pulling my leg...in which case, get your freakin' hand off my thigh.

• @raindog308 said:

My Bing skills are weak

It's a reference to their original "front end/management/panel" being Cold Fusion powered, not sure if it still is these days?

• coldfusion replacement on the way https://github.com/Linode/manager

• yomeroyomero Member

@raindog308 said:

SFO2 has block storage...with snapshots and such, it'd be pretty easy to move, no?

Yeah well... We are trying to avoid the ip change :(

• yomero said: Yeah well... We are trying to avoid the ip change :(

you can keep the IP, but contact Support first.

edited June 2017

@sibaper said:

yomero said: Yeah well... We are trying to avoid the ip change :(

you can keep the IP, but contact Support first.

IP blocks are only routed to a single datacenter. There was a time when we would reserve an IP for you if you were creating a new droplet in the same datacenter, but that was removed some time ago.

Thanked by 1yomero

Damn @Francisco now that I look at ColdFusion, it looks kind of cool. And there's a free open source server now.

http://paulalkema.com/post.cfm/php-vs-coldfusion

raindog308 said: ColdFusion, it looks kind of cool. And there's a free open source server now

July 1, 2010

+

"This domain has been banned" at open source server URL.

=

Let it die man, just let it die :D

Thanked by 1raindog308

That was my shortest technical infatuation ever.

Thanked by 2jar Amitz