Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your backup solutions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your backup solutions?

sullensullen Member

Show off about your streamlined system here.

Personally, I'm looking to automate encrypted and compressed backups from my Windows 10 machine to a storage VPS and looking for suggestions and ideas.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Time4VPS, 1Fichier and NAS WD MyCloud

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

For my dedi's and vps's, shoot off a script once a week to tar up the root directory excluding some directories that I don't care about or that have a large amount of easily replaceable data. Then use a gdrive CLI tool to upload it to my Google Drive account I have through my university.

I only keep two tar backups per server (deleting the oldest one when it's time to upload again). Probably not the most efficient by any means, but hey it works. For my machines at home, I just save important files/directories to my NAS.

• Use google translater:
    https://lightbackup.com/

• I just use RAID 1

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

Buffalo Terastaion (FTP & NFS) 1G NIC and Dedicated Dell Backup Server (NFS) 10G NIC.

Backup Applications:
     Proxmox Builtin Backup
     Syncovery Replication
     cPanel's Builtin Backup
     NovaBACKUP

• saf31saf31 Member

@Yura said:
    I pray.

Thanked by 2Aidan skizio
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

Website files use script to automatically tar up and upload to 2 different remote ftp, daily.

Mysqldump for every 6 hours, dump and upload to remote ftp.

And my favorite, a slave replication server for database.

All those files are located in 3 different small VPS to prevent anything bad from happening

• I use Rsnapshot, external drives and backup location.

• You can create a backup cloud machine at your home for easy backups and restore.
    You can watch this video:

• Websites are mirrored to a VPS, then a tar.xz goes to S3. Have S3 set to automatically transition from IA to Glacier over time so this is really dirt cheap.

At home I manually spin up a server with a pile of drives in it and copy reasonably important stuff there, then shut the thing back down. On machines owned by others in the home that happen to be Macs I have them running TM going to a Time Capsule - has saved more hours than I can count.

...unfortunately I don't think any of this will help you with your Windows 10 predicament.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I store all backups in /dev/null, basically infinity cloud storage.

It depends:

• shared hosting servers: Jetbackup to a storage server with raid 6 located at Hetzner (separate network/country than servers itself)
    • management/billing boxes: R1Soft + rsnapshot
    • Big DBs: Slave setup with a nightly snapshot
    • Work station: Stored (encrypted) on S3 compatible storage at online.net
    • Code for projects: stored at github, and S3
    Thanked by 2Ympker BlaZe
  • lionlion Member

borgbackup to storage server(s)

Thanked by 1alown
  • BitmapBitmap Member

Backupsy.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Bigvps.io 1TB/$10 backups. FTP storage at ~50MB/s

• Transip STACK. 1TB for free. I just tar+bz2+encrypt and upload there with a shell script.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited June 2017

For me non-important stuff (including home home pc/laptop, vps-es which are not used to host things etc) is backed up to 2x8TB drives in soft raid1 connected to cubieboard and located under TV. Local ISP is very generous to provide unlimited (and by unlimited i mean actually unlimited) 100Mbit connection for cheap and it seemed like the cheapest solution to me.

Important stuff, like actual documents, photos, production sites etc is additionaly uploaded to remote storage, which for now is a couple of dedicated servers from dacentec with 2x2Tb soft raid1.

Tried some cheaper solutions like openvz storage vps-es, but in the end i prefer to pay few $ more and get convinient/reliable backups than to fight with openvz limitations and "too cheap" provider issues.

Software is mostly borgbackup on linux and duplicati2 on windows. In some cases there are also simple scripts like dd+encryption from lvm snapshot.

• lionlion Member

@pbgben said:

nice ad for your own service, however it's just a blank page.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

none, jk OVH FTPBackup on a VPS I have with them however I've hit the 200GB limit so I'm using Mega and Hubic but still looking for better and faster storage solutions

• lion said: nice ad for your own service

His is actually https://billing.c38.host/cart.php

@lion said:

@pbgben said:

nice ad for your own service, however it's just a blank page.

Or is it :P

@ethancedrik said:

lion said: nice ad for your own service

His is actually https://billing.c38.host/cart.php

Soon, this weekend should be the release date

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

As far as software goes, I've been using Unison for a while now and it has made both synchronizing files across devices and backup painless. I wrote a blog post at http://blog.perennate.com/20160531_unison.html but it is pretty straightforward to use.

But if you just want backup (and don't need to synchronize across devices) then some kind of rsync setup probably works fine.

Edit: actually, although the stream is encrypted over SSH, the remote replica is stored in plaintext, so maybe this won't work for you. duplicati (which Gamma17 mentioned earlier) supports incremental encrypted backups and is pretty easy to use.

• sarahsarah Member

I used to use tarsnap which is a great product. But I am trying out rclone now.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited June 2017

Script to backup mysql and vhost root.

Sent to local backup folder

Local backup folder sent via Rclone to Hubic

Hubic is slow but works well for websites. God bless you!

• seanhoseanho Member

A bit experimental, but given that lots of folks like borg, you could try running it under LXSS (the Linux subsystem under Windows 10):

https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/issues/1961

Personally, I use burp on various Windows clients: 7, 8.1, 10.

• Tried rclone or Rsnapshot, both works great. :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

I run bash scripts in while loops to compress data, upload to backblaze b2, and then delete the compressed file.

• imokimok Member

BackupPC and JetBackup to SpeedyKVM

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited June 2017

@jarland said:
    I run bash scripts in while loops to compress data, upload to backblaze b2, and then delete the compressed file.

while true;
    do
      date=$(date +%s)
      tar zcvf ${date}.tar.gz mails
      b2 upload_file backupz ${date}.tar.gz whatever/${date}.tar.gz
      rm -f ${date}.tar.gz
    done

We all know your backup plan @jarland

Thanked by 1vimalware