Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice using OneProvider's IPMI [SOLVED]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advice using OneProvider's IPMI [SOLVED]

thagoatthagoat Member
edited June 2017 in Help

Anyone have any luck getting IPMI to work?
Java just throws unsigned jar errors at me, no matter what I do. Support staff has been unhelpful since around midnight EST. I tried javaws on my linux box and windows box and I can't get a win! Any help or insight would be awesome.
Thanks folks

Comments

• @thagoat said: Java just throws unsigned jar errors at me, no matter what I do.

I think this is a known issue with the newer (post 7?) JDK/JREs.

One way is to use a separate older JDK/JRE just for the IPMI jar.

Other (probably better way) is to explicitly whitelist the IP for the IPMI console using jcontrol (on *nix - probably something similar on other platforms - not sure perhaps someone else can chip in on the exact comand). See the security tab in "Java Control Panel" (via jcontrol).

Thereafter you should be able to just run the download jnlp or whatever using javaws in *nix without any pain.

Hope this help you launch and run the downloaded IMPI console.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • I did read that jre8 had issues. And I did whitelist the IPMI url. So, yeah kinda at my wit's end here lol. Thanks for the answer, I'll boot a quick vm and install jre 6 or 7 and try again perhaps.

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

jre7 should do the trick, using that here at the office for IPMI only still.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • @thagoat said: And I did whitelist the IPMI url.

In my case (Linux, not specifically OneProvider's IPMI but others including Online.net) I have something like https://1.2.3.4/ as the the whitelisted URL. Also, it may help to look at a few settings in the Advanced tab and perhaps enable the explicit JNLP security requests (and some others).

Running javaws with --verbose may also help.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

I had to downgrade to jre7 as Nick said to get anything like this working as lantronix and also dell ipmi really doesn't work well with more than jre7 since for whatever reason Java completely took out the option to run the application anyway so that is what fixed it for me as I have a supermicro ipmi that is the same way

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • It seems jre7 is the answer and I'm now working in the console! Thanks everyone!

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

I am using java 6 for dell ipmi

Thanked by 1thagoat