Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running a webserver on IPv6 only?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running a webserver on IPv6 only?

YmpkerYmpker Member

So I am trying to get a webserver running on a NAT VPS trying to use IPv6 only!

I assume what I would need to do is create an AAAA Record to the IPv6 adress in my DNS manager and somehow make the webserver listen to IPv6 (via LAMPs sites-available?!). Something like "listen [::]:80" perhaps? I guess I would also need to reroute requests to 80 to my NAT port range as my port range (obviously) does not include the standard web port.

I'm a bit at a loss here so would be great if someone can point me into the right direction :- )

Comments

• What web server are you going to use?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

@Oflameo said:
    What web server are you going to use?

LAMP stack

Listen [Your IPv6 address]:80

• https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/bind.html

It is pretty much exactly the same, but IPv6 addresses must be enclosed in brackets.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@jeff9023 said:

What about the issue that I do not have port 80 available on my NAT vps by default?

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Common things forgotten to config:
    Is the IPv6 setup correctly in the vnic?
    Is the firewall config correctly?

• @Ympker said:

@jeff9023 said:

What about the issue that I do not have port 80 available on my NAT vps by default?

On the shared IPv4 you won't have port 80, on the IPv6 you should have port 80...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@mikewazar said:

@Ympker said:

@jeff9023 said:

On the shared IPv4 you won't have port 80, on the IPv6 you should have port 80...

I will try this then :- )

• @Ympker said:

@jeff9023 said:

You can using the 80 port of your IPv6 address, directly. The NAT rules just be set for the IPv4 address.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks for the help everyone :) Much appreciated!

• Use cloudflare's 6-to-4 proxy to make your site accessible from ipv4-only connections after setting all this up.

Thanked by 2Ympker Clouvider
  • nfnnfn Veteran

if you only have IPv6 on port 80, you could try cloudflare to get both IPv4/IPv6 to your IPv6 port 80.

Thanked by 2Ympker Clouvider
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

@nfn said:
    if you only have IPv6 on port 80, you could try cloudflare to get both IPv4/IPv6 to your IPv6 port 80.

Is it the "IPv6 Compatibility" option in CF I need to enable?

NVM got it to work :P Was enabled by default^^

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Ympker said:

@nfn said:

You should set your AAAA IPv6 record for this to work and you let IPv6 compatibility On.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@nfn said:

@Ympker said:

@nfn said:

You should set your AAAA IPv6 record for this to work and you let IPv6 compatibility On.

Yep got it to work.. Thanks so much! This will be interesting for some of my projects to come :P

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

This is a good way to run a service over an IPv6 network only.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@nfn said:
    This is a good way to run a service over an IPv6 network only.

Yes indeed.