Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlimited storage promo at SpiderOak
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unlimited storage promo at SpiderOak

angstromangstrom Moderator

[My first thread ever -- wow!]

For all of you that love unlimited storage (apparently, quite a few of you), I've received this in the mail:

Unlimited accounts are a special thing at SpiderOak.

We don't offer this promotion very often, and once it's gone there's no guarantee we will be able to bring it back.

GET UNLIMITED STORAGE NOW [ https://spideroak.com/share-the-goodness?pk_campaign=ff4&pk_kwd=unlimited ]

The last Unlimited promo of 2017 ends on Saturday, June 17. If you have been considering upgrading to an unlimited account to protect all of your files and data, please act now. This is the greatest value we offer for our No Knowledge backup service. Get it today!

All the best,
The SpiderOak Team

Admittedly, $149/year or $17/month isn't LEB pricing, but I guess that SpiderOak is SpiderOak.

Comments

• 3 months till some dickhead uploads 1PB and ruins it for everyone.

Can't half of you fucks use common sense seriously? I dont care if they told you unlimited, you have a brain at the end of the day find where a sensible place to stop is.

Thanked by 2jar Issam2204
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

Do NOT trust unlimited storage anymore, you just saw with Amazon how that ends.

Thanked by 1layfon
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    3 months till some dickhead uploads 1PB and ruins it for everyone.

Can't half of you fucks use common sense seriously? I dont care if they told you unlimited, you have a brain at the end of the day find where a sensible place to stop is.

I don't know whether you mean me, but no need to overreact!

The price is probably high enough to dissuade many potential abusers ...

• @rm_ said:

Whilst I agree, I'd say don't trust retards who don't understand fair use.

• @angstrom said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    3 months till some dickhead uploads 1PB and ruins it for everyone.

I don't know whether you mean me, but no need to overreact!

The price is probably high enough to dissuade many potential abusers ...

Not at all. I am in no way having a go at you. Just waiting a little while till some dickhead walks up posts his usage stats page with 1PB uploaded and goes "why are the cancelling it"

@GenjiSwitchPls said: Not at all. I am in no way having a go at you. Just waiting a little while till some dickhead walks up posts his usage stats page with 1PB uploaded and goes "why are the cancelling it"

Okay, I understand.

By the way, I was inclined to believe that that usage stats page with 1PB (posted in another thread) was a fake, but perhaps it was real after all ...

In any case, like I said, the price at SpiderOak is nevertheless probably high enough to dissuade many potential storage abusers.

edited June 2017

GenjiSwitchPls said: Whilst I agree, I'd say don't trust retards who don't understand fair use.

This is irrelevant. "Unlimited storage" just cannot work long-term without any restrictions in place (such as: banning all unofficial clients, placing an upload speed limit, types of content or file sizes limit, etc). Or more often it just ends one day, like Amazon just did, and OneDrive did before IIRC.

Moreover, you can't know how "fair" your usage is; if you upload 1TB, are you still within fair use? 5TB? They are still not mad with you? 10TB? You sure? Or maybe you and your 10TB are already well within top 1% of their users, and they are already holding a meeting to discuss what to do about you. This is the kind of uneasy feeling I would absolutely despise about using such an offer.

• @rm_ said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: Whilst I agree, I'd say don't trust retards who don't understand fair use.

This is irrelevant. "Unlimited storage" just cannot work long-term without any restrictions in place (such as: banning all unofficial clients, placing an upload speed limit, types of content or file sizes limit, etc). Or more often it just ends one day, like Amazon just did, and OneDrive did before IIRC.

Moreover, you can't know how "fair" your usage is; if you upload 1TB, are you still within fair use? 5TB? They are still not mad with you? 10TB? You sure? Or maybe you and your 10TB are already well within top 1% of their users, and they are holding a meeting to discuss what to do about you. This is the kind of uneasy feeling I would absolutely despise about using such an offer.

I agree here. Fair use is broad, but I think we can both agree 1PB is not fair use. Anything over 30TB is past fair use. In between 10TB-30TB is grey area for the host to decide.

GenjiSwitchPls said: Anything over 30TB is past fair use. In between 10TB-30TB is grey area for the host to decide.

Well that's just arbitrary numbers and your perception. It is more than likely the provider has different and lower numbers in mind.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls

@GenjiSwitchPls @rm_: Just to say that my intention was simply to relay the promotion at SpiderOak, and not to start (or to continue) a discussion on the semantics and pragmatics of unlimited.

The fact is that the vast majority of users use "unlimited" deals without any problem, and if one applies common sense, there shouldn't be a problem.

(That said, I also don't like "unlimited" as an advertising tactic.)

• @rm_ said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: Anything over 30TB is past fair use. In between 10TB-30TB is grey area for the host to decide.

Well that's just arbitrary numbers and your perception. It is more than likely the provider has different and lower numbers in mind.

Agreed but to me (and I'd hope to most people) 50TB+ is abuse regardless of "unlimited" 1PB is retarded.

Regarding SpiderOak specifically, their normal offer is 5TB at $25/month:
    https://spideroak.com/about/price-list

You can extrapolate from there, how much storage you can reasonably expect from them at $17/month. Certainly not 10-30TB.

• @rm_ said:

You can extrapolate from there, how much storage you can reasonably expect from them at $17/month. Certainly not 10-30TB.

May be 1-3TB ;-)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@rm_ said:

If you wanna go for "unlimited" offer go for something cheap so it doesnt hurt when they shut you down :)

10€/year promo still going :P

Thanked by 1vimalware

@Ympker said:

@rm_ said:

If you wanna go for "unlimited" offer go for something cheap so it doesnt hurt when they shut you down :)

Yeah, I would also prefer 1fichier for just storing files. :-)

SpiderOak is in a different comparison class: it's basically a hyper security-conscious Dropbox. If this is what you want, then the current promotion is a good one, but if you just want to store (back up) files, SpiderOak isn't the optimal choice.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@rm_ said:

When you upload files, did you have to split them into <100GB chunks? Did you use FTP or otherwise?

• TionTion Member

@rm_ said:

Microsoft already showed how sustainable Unlimited is 2 years ago.
    Unless they pull an OVH heavily throttling their consumer grade storage this won't last longer than a year or two.

Seems like a marketing stunt to gain customers quickly in hope to bind them once the offer runs out.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

@mikewazar said:

@Ympker said:

@rm_ said:

When you upload files, did you have to split them into <100GB chunks? Did you use FTP or otherwise?

Maximum upload size is 100GB so yes had to split them. FTP and Remote URL download.

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@rm_ said:

Yeah, I would also prefer 1fichier for just storing files. :-)

SpiderOak is in a different comparison class: it's basically a hyper security-conscious Dropbox. If this is what you want, then the current promotion is a good one, but if you just want to store (back up) files, SpiderOak isn't the optimal choice.

I can see how SpiderOak is useful as a Premium Service :P
    Just wary of the "Unlimited" tag for that price^^

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GenjiSwitchPls said: Can't half of you fucks

Hey! Were cunts, not fucks.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls

Here's a useful quote (not mine, unfortunately):

Any "unlimited" plan is really just a statistical assumption that everyone's behavior will average out to something that the infrastructure can tolerate. And that's generally speaking a workable plan if nobody decides to be a smartass and push it past the limits of reason.

Thanked by 2raindog308 jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rm_ said:

That's just not the LET way. Users would strongly prefer to sign up and attempt to fill as much space as possible in order to facilitate the death of the product, then come back here and cry to the rest of us about how they've been scammed. Then they wait around for the next offer, never realizing that they're the ones driving such offers in the first place.

Thanked by 2vimalware slowdive

@jarland said:

@rm_ said:

That's just not the LET way. Users would strongly prefer to sign up and attempt to fill as much space as possible in order to facilitate the death of the product, then come back here and cry to the rest of us about how they've been scammed. Then they wait around for the next offer, never realizing that they're the ones driving such offers in the first place.

Oh, jarland, not all of us LET users are like that! :-) I think that many (most?) of us would like to see LET providers do well.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

angstrom said: Oh, jarland, not all of us LET users are like that!

It only takes 5 ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • The Spideroak client isn't exactly the fastest thing in the world and the way it's accessed means it's probably not going to be abused to upload 10's of TB's

It used to be more of a sync/backup client from what I remember

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dragon2611 said: It used to be more of a sync/backup client from what I remember

Yep. I'm kind of surprised they're still around, as they never got the take off that Crashplan, Backblaze, etc. did. Maybe this is a scheme to grow, but offering "unlimited" for a monthly fee would make me nervous about their future if I was a customer.

When I tried SpiderOak a few years ago, it was a complete RAM pig on a 2GB VPS and after a few days I killed it.

edited June 2017

@dragon2611 said:
    The Spideroak client isn't exactly the fastest thing in the world and the way it's accessed means it's probably not going to be abused to upload 10's of TB's

It used to be more of a sync/backup client from what I remember

Indeed, the client is slow, apparently due to all of the encrypting. For this reason, I agree that SpiderOak is less likely to be a target of storage abuse.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

dragon2611 said: It used to be more of a sync/backup client from what I remember

Yep. I'm kind of surprised they're still around, as they never got the take off that Crashplan, Backblaze, etc. did.

Completely different target market. SpiderOak is all about encryption and security, it's in the same space as security conscious storage providers like Tresorit.

Thanked by 1raindog308

@raindog308 said: Yep. I'm kind of surprised they're still around, as they never got the take off that Crashplan, Backblaze, etc. did. Maybe this is a scheme to grow, but offering "unlimited" for a monthly fee would make me nervous about their future if I was a customer.

Yeah, it's not easy to tell how well SpiderOak is doing. Their big selling point is "zero knowledge": they couldn't look at the contents of your storage even if they wanted to. Whether this is enough to ensure a rosy future for them is still unclear ...

edited June 2017

@Nekki said:

@raindog308 said:

Yep. I'm kind of surprised they're still around, as they never got the take off that Crashplan, Backblaze, etc. did.

Completely different target market. SpiderOak is all about encryption and security, it's in the same space as security conscious storage providers like Tresorit.

Nekki beat me to it by a matter of seconds.

Thanked by 1raindog308

@Nekki said: Completely different target market. SpiderOak is all about encryption and security, it's in the same space as security conscious storage providers like Tresorit.

I agree. However, Tresorit is pricier, and there's no unlimited plan, but they claim to be better than SpiderOak:

https://tresorit.com/business/spideroak-alternative