Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seedbox or Dedicated Server for Australia use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seedbox or Dedicated Server for Australia use

Hey everyone

I'm on the lookout for a Seedbox/Dedicated Server to run Plex, but most of the mainstream providers have poor peering to Australia, and the most I can get out of them is around 5mbps, which isn't enough for streaming.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience media streaming from a Seedbox/Dedicated Server to Australia- and has any recommendations?

Many thanks

Comments

• how much space do you need?

• The more local storage the better- although I can revert to mounting a Google Drive, and stream from that if need be

• Could check with @oliver ?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@antigravity83 how much traffic do you need to do per month, and do you have a budget? Feel free to email me oliver at ransomit.com.au

Thanks @Gravely

• Thanks Oliver- I've had a quick look at your site, and I'll need more storage and bandwidth than you offer. Understand costs are higher when based in Australia, and seems that's a part of the issue.

More looking for an overseas provider that has good peering into Australia.

• TomTom Member

I have a feeling @trewq might be able to give some advice

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@antigravity83 PM me and I'll give you access to my plex in Aus if you're interested?

• Thanks Trewq- sent you a PM

• Which telco are you with, mate? A buddy of mine is getting pretty decent download from belong from my Leaseweb NL.

• I'm with Telstra and so are the other users I serve to. What speeds are you getting from Leaseweb NL?

• @antigravity83 said:
    ...is around 5mbps, which isn't enough for streaming....

I run an Emby server on a KS-3C in Canada and can watch a 720p stream on a 13~mbit connection on ADSL in Perth, which corresponds to about a 2mbit connection to Canada.

What settings are you using to stream? A 5mbps connection should be fine, and will save you a ton of money as oppose to hosting your content in Australia.

• @dextronox

Ideally I would like to allow for 5mbps per stream, was hoping for 10mbps but understand that may not be possible.

Myself and my partner may stream at the same time- so 5mbps doesn't cut it unfortunately.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

How many TB of data you after?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

antigravity83 said: Myself and my partner may stream at the same time- so 5mbps doesn't cut it unfortunately.

The way TCP works you should be able to get 2x 5Mbit independent streams no problem, even if if the same connection will struggle getting 1x 10Mbit going.

• @pbgben I'm looking for around 15TB minimum of storage

• @rm_ said:

antigravity83 said: Myself and my partner may stream at the same time- so 5mbps doesn't cut it unfortunately.

The way TCP works you should be able to get 2x 5Mbit independent streams no problem, even if if the same connection will struggle getting 1x 10Mbit going.

Yeah that's what I thought, but my current provider does about 1300kbps, but occasionally buffers when two streams are running. CPU and IO on the server is fine when this occurs.

@antigravity83 Something to consider if my collection isn't enough for you is to build out your own hardware and colo it in Australia.

• Thanks @trewq, I have considered that option. I couldn't really find a provider that offered enough bandwidth here in Australia though :(

@antigravity83 said:
    Thanks @trewq, I have considered that option. I couldn't really find a provider that offered enough bandwidth here in Australia though :(

If you keep a seedbox elsewhere and just serve up content from a server in Aus you can probably work out a deal with a DC to not count or only count a percentage of the data over an IX. Need to be creative here :)

• ahh good idea :) worth a thought! Cheers

The problem is even if someone can do free or cheaper data over peering, @antigravity83 already said he/she and their mates are on Telstra. So if you can't reach it over peering what good is it?

I have been reviewing options for doing NAS colocation with certain restrictions/controls to manage traffic usage in a way to allow large quotas (compared to standard transit to the whole internet). It is not unviable to offer something with much cheaper domestic data or data over peering but the moment you have some user with Telstra then this type of offer falls over since traffic to them notionally cost 4 or 5x more than over peering.

If you and your mates were all with some ISP that peered especially all in the same state it would be totally manageable to offer something with US level quotas for a dedicated server or colocation.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We can offer a custom high-bandwidth VPS in Sydney, if you can work with minimal hardware resources. The network mix currently consist of Telstra and peering through Equinix, MegaPort, NSW-IX and PipeIX. Please email [email protected] if you are interested.

Alexander

• Thanks @AlexanderM - I am running a Plex server so need decent hardware resources unfortunately.

• xaocxaoc Member

@antigravity83 said:
    Thanks @AlexanderM - I am running a Plex server so need decent hardware resources unfortunately.

You could probably use it as a vpn if it is a good deal and has good conectivity to the plex server. Or maybe a reverse proxy if plex allows that.

@Oliver Telstra is probably the root cause of the terrible international speeds too. I run my stuff off the IINode network and at 15TB+/month. If I could get the same connection in the same price range in a data centre I would be a happy camper, but that's not the way it works.

Do you mean you are doing 15TB a month on your broadband connection at home with IINode?

Well in a DC people typically care about consistent performance so there isn't the same contention you would have on your connection at home, which also is why it costs much more. You might be able to pull 15TB a month now on your link at home, but if it dies tomorrow or suddenly goes no faster than 1mbit it could take you 2 weeks or a month to fix and you will basically not be able to do anything about it - that is why you pay a premium to be in a DC... :-)

• Why not proxy your plex through cloudflare? Friend of mine had 200kbyte/s from a french server (to aus), but 2mbyte/s through CF.

• @teamacc, Cloudflare doesn't work with Telstra unfortunately

@Oliver said:
    Do you mean you are doing 15TB a month on your broadband connection at home with IINode?

Well in a DC people typically care about consistent performance so there isn't the same contention you would have on your connection at home, which also is why it costs much more. You might be able to pull 15TB a month now on your link at home, but if it dies tomorrow or suddenly goes no faster than 1mbit it could take you 2 weeks or a month to fix and you will basically not be able to do anything about it - that is why you pay a premium to be in a DC... :-)

Totally get how it works :) Yep, I do 15TB about 50:50 up and down. Sometimes more on an average month on my FTTP connection. Planning on getting another one soon to meet my needs.

That's what I'm saying though, I'd be willing to take a hit on the contention ratio in a DC and not have to worry about data usage. If the bandwidth isn't preforming then I'd either buy another "slot" or port. Just a different way of thinking about it I guess, not every needs the same thing :)

@trewq I can meet your requirement, you just need to find me another 75-100 customers who will pay for the same plan as you and use 1% of what they are allocated instead of 100% like you. ;-)

Thanked by 1trewq