Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to get an ICP license in China?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible to get an ICP license in China?

jpchristenjpchristen Member
edited June 2017 in Requests

Hello, anyone has ever obtained a Chinese ICP license? We would like to implement CDN with mainland china nodes and all those cdn providers require an ICP license, which asks for the local presence of website owner. So any providers can do that? I don't have a budget but am surely open to suggestions.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

Are you white?

• As i know,there are only 7 companies have CDN license
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/tech/2017-05/22/c_1121010184.htm

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@jpchristen said:
    Hello, anyone has ever obtained a Chinese ICP license? We would like to implement CDN with mainland china nodes and all those cdn providers require an ICP license, which asks for the local presence of website owner. So any providers can do that? I don't have a budget but am surely open to suggestions.

Just get a server in HK with direct China Route or prepare to jump through many many hoops.

• Read about this just a few days ago, it seems CloudFlare is providing assistance for obtaining such an ICP, also Microsoft does.
    Please see:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-an-Internet-Content-Provider-ICP-number-for-your-public-website-bfa6e6b8-3301-4da8-b9e4-1a7c36aabd10
    and
    https://www.cloudflare.com/network/china/

But I guess this won't be cheap.

• overclockoverclock Member
    edited June 2017

Just go apply one, any problems?

You can apply as individual. Usually it takes 7 days to verify the license.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

This is a minefield, and the rules were charged a while ago to make it even more difficult. As of now, in order to get an ICP license, you must have content actually hosted in China on a sub domain of the domain you're trying to obtain the license for.

It wasn't originally the case, but after going back for a new ICP license last week, I found out about the new requirement.

• 2gouzi2gouzi Member

Difficulties and trouble

• overclock said: You can apply as individual. Usually it takes 7 days to verify the license.

As Chinese individual. Not as foreigner.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • Thank you guys for the kind suggestions; it seems we'd better go with some HK nodes instead.

• @jpchristen said:
    Thank you guys for the kind suggestions; it seems we'd better go with some HK nodes instead.

I can fully recommend @randvegeta's china connection. I had a direct china connection in HK with a different provider before, and my playerbase grew after switching due to the increase in performance.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • LizCatLizCat Member

Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan don't require.

But if you want to use CDN in mainland, the license must be required. Someone can help u get icp license with a low price. We got it for each domain ¥150 (~$20)

• @LizCat said:
    Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan don't require.

But if you want to use CDN in mainland, the license must be required. Someone can help u get icp license with a low price. We got it for each domain ¥150 (~$20)

You should apply your own license.

As a provider, your behavior is unprofessional.

• hzrhzr Member

Are you saying it's morally wrong to just buy already beian domain but it's totally moral to bypass your local laws by proxying through HK?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

overclock said: You should apply your own license.

No, you can apply as joint venture with a local company which is eg. what Aliyun does for larger customers.

And some companies, again Aliyun in conjunction with CF, can apply also for foreign companies without incorporation in China under some exceptions.

Aside of that anyone that applies for a foreigner with no JV local for an ICP license on only their data - i'm sure you know the repercussions if violated, which could land you very well in jail - is so stupid that they do not deserve otherwise.

hzr said: but it's totally moral to bypass your local laws by proxying through HK?

TECHNICALLY you do not bypass them, it is allowed to host websites outside China as foreigner and have them accessible in China (and mostly also to access them). YOu just do have the high risk of getting GFW'd.

• @William said:

overclock said: You should apply your own license.

No, you can apply as joint venture with a local company which is eg. what Aliyun does for larger customers.

And some companies, again Aliyun in conjunction with CF, can apply also for foreign companies without incorporation in China under some exceptions.

Aside of that anyone that applies for a foreigner with no JV local for an ICP license on only their data - i'm sure you know the repercussions if violated, which could land you very well in jail - is so stupid that they do not deserve otherwise.

hzr said: but it's totally moral to bypass your local laws by proxying through HK?

TECHNICALLY you do not bypass them, it is allowed to host websites outside China as foreigner and have them accessible in China (and mostly also to access them). YOu just do have the high risk of getting GFW'd.

Ugh....You are kinda wrong , I am Chinese so I know all about these.

You can get a license which is verified with another man's information.
    This cost you $20.It is very cheap.

If you are local Chinese , it is easy to get a license using your own information, you need to send your personal information to Aliyun, normally after 7 days you will get a brand new license.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

overclock said: Ugh....You are kinda wrong , I am Chinese so I know all about these.

And i have an ICP license with a JV since 2014... they try every damn year to apply as foreign company (with a local lawyer, at Beijing province MIIT office) with no chance, you need to have a local partner company (A, eg. Aliyun if you pay $$$), a local JV where you can own a minority/majority of (B, what we do) or a local person to apply for it (C, the illegal way you mention).

A foreigner cannot apply for beian directly (aside of possibly Chinese citizens) at MIIT.

And even if that would be the case, OP is looking to run a CDN which requires another license that you absolutely in no chance ever get as non Chinese company (-> provider licensing).

overclock said: You can get a license which is verified with another man's information. This cost you $20.It is very cheap.

And? I did not deny that at all - however, as i said: if YOU fuck up THIS guy goes to jail. Simple or? Aside that this is absolutely illegal, the law clearly says you need to control or operate the website, a lawyer/notary or random person does not fit this criteria.

overclock said: If you are local Chinese , it is easy to get a license using your own information, you need to send your personal information to Aliyun, normally after 7 days you will get a brand new license.

Well, obviously, IF you are Chinese that is, which i also stated before already, half the thread ago...

EDIT: I'm also not sure if even a resident without Chinese citizenship on a Z visa can apply, if the regulations did not change you need a long term residence permit (so Q1 but not Q2).

S1 should not be possible to obtain and neither X1/2 as students. D visa qualifies as permanent residency for sure for it. R qualifies for sure but you surely know how rare these are.

(For anyone else reading this: This matters a lot as China generally does not grant citizenship to non-chinese even if marrier local/having children - it can very well happen that you live your entire life in CN on a Z or later Q1 visa).

• 2gouzi2gouzi Member

In fact I know that some small DC can not need ICP, but there is a risk of being removed.good luck.

• You need setup a company in China. But, you only can hold max 49% share of it.

Then, the company can apply the ICP and the licenses.