Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Linux Desktop Enviroment?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Linux Desktop Enviroment?

Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member

What is the best Linux desktop enviroment you guys recommend? I've had Linux VPS's for years now and never once thought to install a desktop environment onto it and use it via the GUI instead of terminal.

I've tried a few guides I've found online but yet to find one that has actually worked like the guide suggests.

Any recommendations appreciated :)

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I use LXDE as it's lightweight and runs on just about anything.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Gerrard8 said: What is the best Linux desktop enviroment you guys recommend?

You'll probably get as many recommendations as there are desktop environments.

I'll recommend MATE (a continuation of Gnome 2): easy to use, well-supported, and fairly lightweight.

• JarryJarry Member

I do not think there is definitive "the best" linux desktop environment. Just the one that suits to you. Someone might like new features and inovative interface, someone else might prefer traditional "Windows-like" desktop. I'm using Mint/Cinnamon (aka Gnome-shell). It is good enough for me, but sure not "the best"...

BTW, installing desktop environment on VPS is not a good idea.

• @Nekki said:

Nekki do you have a go to guide for installing it? :)

• @angstrom said:

I'll recommend MATE (a continuation of Gnome 2): easy to use, well-supported, and fairly lightweight.

Same question that I asked Nekki haha, do you have a go to guide for it? :)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Gerrard8 said:

@angstrom said:

Same question that I asked Nekki haha, do you have a go to guide for it? :)

Two things:

• I had missed that you were thinking of installing a desktop environment (DE) on a VPS (as opposed to on a local machine). It's not customary to do this (although you could). I install xorg so that I can run some X applications, but I don't run a DE on my VPSes.

• As for MATE, it's included in most distributions now, so it's easy to install. Otherwise see https://mate-desktop.org/ .

• @Gerrard8 said:

@Nekki said:

Which distro are you using? Probably you'll just find it in your repo.

I use ubuntu LTS because of the big community and my lack of time, I install lxde on it

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Fedora

Thanked by 2mehargags Iroshan464
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Gerrard8 said:

@Nekki said:

I have an all-in-one script that installs LXDE + NoMachine for remote access, not sure if that's of interest? If not I can pull apart the script and just give you the relevant parts for the desktop on its own.

• Xfce. simple & lightweight for my old core i3

• namhuynamhuy Member

i would prefer xfce over lxde,

• rocketrocket Member

I use KDE on my desktop but LXDE on remote VPS.

• MATE however I have found myself using things like lxde, xfce, etc as well

• Unity

JK LOL

• saf31saf31 Member

Older machines : LXDE/XFCE
    Newer machines : KDE

• @Nekki said:

@Gerrard8 said:

@Nekki said:

I have an all-in-one script that installs LXDE + NoMachine for remote access, not sure if that's of interest? If not I can pull apart the script and just give you the relevant parts for the desktop on its own.

That would be great if you wouldn't mind?

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

On vps i often use xrdp + xfce4

• defaultdefault Veteran

Gnome. As default, Ubuntu 18.04 will have Gnome instead of Unity. It's a somewhat good time to prepare for that upgrade.

• defaultdefault Veteran