Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Order additional ipv6 question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Order additional ipv6 question

wjtwjt Member

I'm wondering, if we can order additional ipv6, like how we do ipv4 ?

Also, why doesn't providers offer ipv6 order on checkout? I've never seen one out of the hundreds posted here.

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited June 2017

Depends on the provider. Most of the time (if done correctly) you should get your own /64 IPv6 subnet. That is if IPv6 is offered with your service. Since this is millions of addresses, you probably won't ever need to order additional addresses and therefore is usually not offered as an add-on to a service.

Some providers offer IPv6 upon request so you may need to put in a ticket to get allocated IP's.

• wjtwjt Member
    edited June 2017

MasonR said: you should get your own /64 IPv6 subnet

Does that mean i can also order multiple /64 ipv6 on top of the 1 /64 i am supplied with? I don't plan to use all the millions of address but i only want 1 ip out of the subnet. So multiple 1 /64

• @wjt said:
    Does that mean i can also order multiple /64 ipv6 on top of the 1 /64 i am supplied with? I don't plan to use all the millions of address but i only want 1 ip out of the subnet. So multiple 1 /64

Is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IP addresses not enough :P?

• @Dextronox said:

@wjt said:

for my next project i will need 18,446,744,073,709,551,617 addresses :X

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Dextronox said:

@ucxo

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

@Dextronox said:

@wjt said:

It's not enough for anything beyond the most basic IPv6 use.

• BopieBopie Member
    edited June 2017

@wjt said:

MasonR said: you should get your own /64 IPv6 subnet

If you were to lease a /48 that's many /64 and generally, it's cheap, for instance, i could do a /48 for £3/y but there are lots of providers that offer this.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dextronox said: Is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IP addresses not enough :P?

OP rolls deep.

• What's your use case for wanting / needing multiple subnets in one location?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would you need more /64 ?

As you're asking this question I don't really believe you have a technical use case?

• @Clouvider said:
    Why would you need more /64 ?

As you're asking this question I don't really believe you have a technical use case?

Each server should have a /64. If that server hosts VPSes I'd recommend using a /56 unless serious overselling and a /48 is probably the next standard block size.

A /48 would be necessary to run a LES box. The other reason as you know is mailing and other dodgy shit.