Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Generic way not to hammer disk and io
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Generic way not to hammer disk and io

jcalebjcaleb Member

Suppose I wish to run a cpu or io intensive job on my vps. Eg zip 1 million files, or it could be anything. But I do not care if it takes much longer to finish (E.g. 10 or 20 times slower than usual) just as long as I don't hammer resources. I am willing to wait even if it takes days. Is there a generic way to do that?

Comments

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

Nice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix)

Edit - I think CPULimit is more of what you're looking for;
    https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/cpu-usage-limiter-for-linux/

Thanked by 2jcaleb ehab
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

How about limiting disk?

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

You have ionice - but like nice, it's more about setting priority.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • maybe sleep 1 between the files that you're zipping?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2017

teamacc said: maybe sleep 1 between the files that you're zipping?

I am looking for generic. I am running many resource intensive tasks

But for zip, how do you put sleep between files?
    Say I am doing "zip -r 1.zip test" where test is a directory that contains 1 million files?

• @jcaleb said:

teamacc said: maybe sleep 1 between the files that you're zipping?

I am looking for generic. I am running many resource intensive tasks

But for zip, how do you put sleep between files?
    Say I am doing "zip -r 1.zip test" where test is a directory that contains 1 million files?

Nope, the sleep method would only work if you would create a separate zip file per source file.

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

We used cgroups with great success for similar tasks (both cpu and io can be limited)
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroup-v1/blkio-controller.txt

Thanked by 3jcaleb Fusl Frecyboy
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice is processing priority if I have not mistaken
    Ionice for io priority.. i.e reads and writes

if there's something else even better, I would love to know!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You could use for example a simple python script to loop over all the files and add them individually while sleeping between each file.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/81433/high-cpu-utilization-with-zip-command

This cpulimit application could help if it works as described.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice creative alternative but there is a possibility it might still hammer the disk during the file operation being done... but definitely something to look into for its simplicity

@vfuse said:
    You could use for example a simple python script to loop over all the files and add them individually while sleeping between each file.

• What you want to do in summary is to not overlap I/O intensive tasks so that disks don't do more work than they'd normally do. The only easy way to do that is to serialize them. There are plenty of ways that are a bit more work, but they depend on your machine and the kind of tasks you're running.

For instance, if you have plenty of memory (much more than the resulting size of your zipped files), you could make the destination of your zips a ramdisk so you're only doing reads during the zips, then you could copy the zips at the end so you're only doing writes.

If you're doing lots, you could just do zip to ramdisk and copy zip to disk in a loop.

Another thing you could do is run a script while zipping to pause the process when you get more than a certain number of I/O operations per second. This is pretty easy if your OS has an iostat command.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

I will try nice and ionice, thank you for advices.

zip is just a sample, it is not the only thing that I need to run. I have many programs that I did not write and can not rewrite.

• seanhoseanho Member

If your provider is monitoring your CPU/IO usage, and you don't have contention on the node, then nice/ionice won't prevent you from getting suspended by the provider, because your process will still be hammering the node. Nice only sets relative priority; if there's nothing else competing for the CPU, you'll still get 100% of the CPU.

cpulimit might be a better option; essentially, it monitors top/iotop and suspends (a la ctrl-Z) the process until the load comes down.

cgroups should be an even more appropriate solution; I've never tried that.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

seanho said: If your provider is monitoring your CPU/IO usage, and you don't have contention on the node, then nice/ionice won't prevent you from getting suspended by the provider, because your process will still be hammering the node. Nice only sets relative priority; if there's nothing else competing for the CPU, you'll still get 100% of the CPU.

If I am running in KVM, then it might have no effect right? Since I have no other programs running other than my batch program

• seanhoseanho Member

Yes, if there's only one process active, then nice/ionice won't do much. I'm not sure what would happen under OVZ, but probably the same.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
    edited June 2017

@jcaleb said:

seanho said: If your provider is monitoring your CPU/IO usage, and you don't have contention on the node, then nice/ionice won't prevent you from getting suspended by the provider, because your process will still be hammering the node. Nice only sets relative priority; if there's nothing else competing for the CPU, you'll still get 100% of the CPU.

If I am running in KVM, then it might have no effect right? Since I have no other programs running other than my batch program

what about running docker https://docs.docker.com/engine/admin/resource_constraints/
    docker gives a lot of control for resource constraint. docker does have good control of cpu usage managing https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33423164/docker-container-cpu-allocation

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • seanhoseanho Member

I haven't used Docker yet (on my to-do list!), but again this would all be within the VM (nested containerization). @jcaleb only needs to run one job on his VM, so I'm not sure multiple containers would help.

The host can certainly limit the VM's usage, e.g. via Proxmox config.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I am just trying to avoid being suspended or something. But can't afford a dedicated for now.

• seanhoseanho Member

I think cpulimit should suit your use case. It may be worth asking your provider for input.

Thanked by 1jcaleb