Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest 5TB cloud storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest 5TB cloud storage

Now that ACD is out I am looking for an alternative to use as a backup. I have up to 5TB of data I would like to backup. I DO NOT WANT UNLIMITED! Google Business is not an option.
Bandwidth is not an issue since it will be used only for backup, but it has to be reliable (i.e. redundant, by a big provider, not some VPS offer). What are my options?

Comments

• After ACD looks like you could be having some stormy times ahead.

• I'd be tempted to say something like Online.net's C14 or Backblaze B2 are some of the cheapest in terms of £/GB off the top of my head, however then there's also considerations of outbound bandwidth usage costs.
    Other people may know of some cheaper cloud storage that I'm not aware of, I too am keeping an eye on responses to this thread to see if any other provider is offering something at a good price.

• I know you said you don't want to backup on VPS, but I've been using time4vps for quite some time for backups, their backup services are really affordable and great. If you ever change your mind you can look at their storage VPS plans.

• MalinMalin Member

hubic (OVH) - 5 euros/10TB/mo.

Thanked by 2ewrek elwebmaster
  • ewrekewrek Member

@Malin said:

And the upload speed?

• edited June 2017

@Malin said:

Hubic is pretty good & stable too. Just thought I'd mention here from what I remember & have seen others saying, it's limited to 10Mbps upload / download speed. So, I guess looking at OVH, their public ocloud object storage or cloud archive may also be an option if that speedcap is an issue on Hubic (https://www.ovh.co.uk/public-cloud/storage/object-storage/ / https://www.ovh.co.uk/public-cloud/storage/cloud-archive/ - difference being costs of storage / bandwidth, and file retrieval time.)

Edit: So far, from everything on this thread, Hubic seems cheapest, closely followed by OVH Cloud archive (£0.0016/GB/month storage, and £0.008/GB/month bandwidth, although they charge on inbound bandwidth too, so if you're uploading a lot, there may be something cheaper)

• @cyberpersons said:
    I know you said you don't want to backup on VPS, but I've been using time4vps for quite some time for backups, their backup services are really affordable and great. If you ever change your mind you can look at their storage VPS plans.

If I need non-redundant backup I can just buy another hard drive.

Looks like Hubic is probably the best deal.

• @elwebmaster said:

@cyberpersons said:
    I know you said you don't want to backup on VPS, but I've been using time4vps for quite some time for backups, their backup services are really affordable and great. If you ever change your mind you can look at their storage VPS plans.

If I need non-redundant backup I can just buy another hard drive.

Looks like Hubic is probably the best deal.

I didn't knew about this company, 10TB is great.

• sayem314sayem314 Member
    edited June 2017

@elwebmaster said:
    Google Business is not an option.

Why? What's wrong with them? For >5TB Google seems like best bet.

Bandwidth is not an issue since it will be used only for backup, but it has to be reliable (i.e. redundant, by a big provider, not some VPS offer). What are my options?

Blackbaze personal backup ($5/m) is what you need.

@GenjiSwitchPls plz stop posting uncompressed photos!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

elwebmaster said: Looks like Hubic is probably the best deal.

Tbh I fear for Hubic, now that it suddenly finds itself "the best deal" in high storage. It may not last long that way.

• @rm_ said:

Tbh I fear for Hubic, now that it suddenly finds itself "the best deal" in high storage. It may not last long that way.

isn't blackblaze better since it's "unlimited" and all?

• @bingolino said:

@rm_ said:

isn't blackblaze better since it's "unlimited" and all?

The OP didn't want unlimited, so for them it may not be.
    I personally am a satisfied Backblaze home backup user with a few TBs backed up there, however there are some drawbacks in that only Windows & Mac can be backed up (I understand their view on not supporting Linux as it'd cost more if people backed up server full of data for them), however if the OP wanted to have more control over backups / backup from Linux, their home backup may not be ideal.

• Facing the same issue for 6 TB, but only in April 2018 if AMZC keeps its word to honor current billing period.

Doesn't Backblaze have a requirement that you must keep your files on your computer for them o be stored on their cloud?

• @rubiohiguey said:
    Facing the same issue for 6 TB, but only in April 2018 if AMZC keeps its word to honor current billing period.

Doesn't Backblaze have a requirement that you must keep your files on your computer for them o be stored on their cloud?

Depends which of their 2 products you are looking at. Their personal backup product at a fixed rate of $5/month is just what is on the computer you are backing up, where as their B2 storage is $5/TB + outbound bandwidth, which you are able to store anything in no matter whether you have a copy of it or not.

• @drivex said:
    Maybe a hetzner storage box?

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/storagebox/bx50

This looks interesting. Is it safe in case of hardware failure on their side?

• elwebmaster said: This looks interesting. Is it safe in case of hardware failure on their side?

They have 10 snapshots for your box so it can be ;-)

• I have a choice here, just 5tb space.

• @drivex said:
    Maybe a hetzner storage box?

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/storagebox/

How's the network speed to and from USA?

• sarahsarah Member

there is also rsync.net