Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can install windows 7 on Linux VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can install windows 7 on Linux VPS?

Hi, Is that possible install windows OS on Linux server and access the windows via RDP?
by using Virtualbox software?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes completely.

It is commonly unknown that Windows in Ubuntu in hiding. Windows is the Beta to Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • LAVALLAVAL Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Yes completely.

It is commonly unknown that Windows in Ubuntu in hiding. Windows is the Beta to Ubuntu.

But I'm not sure about access the windows installed directly using the same IP of the server!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

sure, install qemu inside the ovz. It's going to be a bit slow, but who cares.

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • @AlexBarakov said:

Some providers do and will terminate

• LAVALLAVAL Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

What about time4vps?

• @LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

What about time4vps?

I'm pretty sure @time4vps will insert a large termination dildo in your arse.

Thanked by 2quick pike
  • VPSlicesVPSlices Member
    edited June 2017

You shouldn't do that with qemu & OpenVZ as the performance will suck and it'd be very resource intesive (you might get suspended as well), better get a KVM VPS and install Windows directly.

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • LAVALLAVAL Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

What about time4vps?

What's the problem with that anyway!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

Actually any sane provider will ;)

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • @LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

What about time4vps?

Its against ToS

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • nulldevnulldev Member
    edited June 2017

@LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@LAVAL said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@AlexBarakov said:

What about time4vps?

Windows will be very, very slow. It will also use up a ton of CPU and your provider will be like: "WTF man, why are you virtualizing in your VPS?, you are using up all my CPU" and kick you out in under 2 hours flat.

• @LAVAL Theoretically yes. But due to many layers of abstraction it's going to be inefficient brick and a waste of time and money.

• Purchase a KVM VPS and install Windows directly would be good option. :)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Why do you need Windows 7? We provide Windows Server 2012, use it instead of desktop OS.

• hzrhzr Member

time4vps said: Why do you need Windows 7? We provide Windows Server 2012, use it instead of desktop OS.

what makes you think he wants to pay for legal windows LOL

• @time4vps said:
    Why do you need Windows 7? We provide Windows Server 2012, use it instead of desktop OS.

Taking a guess he wants to install on OpenVZ or avoid paying for keys

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

hzr said: what makes you think he wants to pay for legal windows LOL

A small grain of hope maybe? :)

• @LAVAL said:
    Hi, Is that possible install windows OS on Linux server and access the windows via RDP?
    by using Virtualbox software?

Thanks.

Yes you can, all you need is a KVM VPS with Windows ISO(or option to upload custom ISO) and licence... you are good to go.. coming to OVZ VPS.. well theoretically its possible but practically you'll just waste time and money as stated by @Janevski

• @Harsh223 said:
    coming to OVZ VPS.. well theoretically its possible

OVZ does not virtualize hardware like KVM, so it will be virtually impossible to use, even with a nicely-built OVZ.

You can install anything via PXE if you know what you're doing with a KVM. That doesn't mean that you won't be shut down in an instant by your provider by doing so- make sure you are not breaking their TOS.

• Because virtual in virtual is such a brilliant idea.

• lionlion Member
    edited September 2017

@yokowasis said:
    Because virtual in virtual is such a brilliant idea.

Well many people use docker on their VPSs

And it works to some extend

• Use vultr.

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited September 2017

You can simply request your provider to mount your Windows CD ISO to your OpenVZ VPS. Then, there will be a button "Replace Linux with Windows", simply click on it and you will have Windows 7 VPS.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

You can run Windows programs on Linux VPS.

• @yokowasis said:
    Because virtual in virtual is such a brilliant idea.

It may happen more than you think. Many applications and application platforms run virtualization or emulation under the hood. Example: If you run Java on your VPS, then you have a perfect example of virtual-in-virtual. Java bytecode executes in the JVM (Java Virtual Machine).

(If you are really old, you might have heard of p-code.)

• Hi, Is that possible install windows OS on Linux server and access the windows via RDP? by using Virtualbox software?

TL;DR: No.

Long Answer: Maybe, but it is a bad idea.

As others have pointed out, a better approach would be to run Windows natively on the VPS. To do that, you will need a KVM or Xen HVM VPS. You can also run Windows on VPSs that are based on VMware or another virtualization product, but VPS providers who use VMware and similar commercial products are not common, and they are not "Low End". You can also run Windows on a dedicated server, but I suspect that it is way out of your budget.

You cannot run Windows natively on OpenVZ or Xen PV. As suggested above, there are tricks you can use to get Windows to run on those platforms, but they use too many shared resources. Your VPS provider will suspend or cancel your VPS if you try it. If they don't, then they aren't a very good provider. :-)

In addition, no matter which solution you choose, you will need a Windows license from Microsoft. Microsoft won't allow you to run Windows 7 on a VPS. Technically, you must license a version of Windows Server for a VPS. You could use a free 180-day trial license, but that would be a violation of the license agreement, too.

• You can do it but depends on your web hosting provider allowing it or not , but first VPS has KVM or OpenVZ

• @HostOjo said:
    You can do it but depends on your web hosting provider allowing it or not , but first VPS has KVM or OpenVZ

You're really trying to get that post count for provider tag, huh?

• @IThinkUFailed said:

@HostOjo said:
    You can do it but depends on your web hosting provider allowing it or not , but first VPS has KVM or OpenVZ

No actually I have once thought of doing it I asked my host the same question they said I am on a OpenVZ Vps but I have to shift on KVM if I need to run windows on the server.
    Sorry if I was wrong anywhere.
    My Apologies

• @HostOjo said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@HostOjo said:

No actually I have once thought of doing it I asked my host the same question they said I am on a OpenVZ Vps but I have to shift on KVM if I need to run windows on the server.
    Sorry if I was wrong anywhere.
    My Apologies

Your posts are literally just spam for the post count to get the provider tag.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
This discussion has been closed.