Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why $7 is the dividing line?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why $7 is the dividing line?

I saw many providers here provide the VPS with 7 USD.

So 7 or less 7 is the LEB, above 7 is a tall-rich-handsome?

Cheers~

Comments

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

$7 is the (unfairly) set limit for this site. It's just a LET thing. I don't really get it either, but it certainly does keep up the competition between providers.

• rds100rds100 Member

Because LowEndAdmin decided that 7 is a nice number and we respect his decision.

Thanked by 3tux luxor Infinity
  • It's just a rule set. Have to draw the line somewhere.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@rds100 said:
    Because LowEndAdmin decided that 7 is a nice number and we respect his decision.

This too. :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I was ask this same question and received a reply from LEB Admin:(2 yr ago)

Low End users can't afford more then $7 and If they can afford to pay more then $7 then they are rich... By LowEndAdmin

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

$7 is the (unfairly) set limit for this site. It's just a LET thing. I don't really get it either

If you don't get something, it doesn't automatically mean it's "unfair".

• DavidxDavidx Member

I like $7 I think it is a good number.. not too overly high or low.

• I think it should be set lower, as time goes on, computing power increases and prices drop. So this figure should also come down to $5 to increase competition.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@rm_ said:
    If you don't get something, it doesn't automatically mean it's "unfair".

Your right, it was not properly stated on my part. I just mean that it in some ways makes the offers here not so valuable to some people and not easily done by other hosts.

edited July 2013

I think it should be set lower

And someone else will tell you no, it should be increased. Personally I'd say the current value works pretty well, so let's not fix what is not broken.

Thanked by 2Davidx Spirit
  • @rm_ said:
    And someone else will tell you no, it should be increased. Personally I'd say the current value works pretty well, so let's not fix what is not broken.

My thinking was that for $7, providers are currently offering 4GB RAM. Who needs 4GB RAM!!!!???? When LEB started that $7 probably got you proper LEB's, now that is no longer the case, therefore the limit should be lowered to comply with the LEB founding ethos.

• I also think $5 should be considered

• Because 7 is a Magical Number.

• andyliuandyliu Member
    edited July 2013

haha,rich = pay more then 7 dollars?

@DewlanceVPS said:
    I was ask this same question and received a reply from LEB Admin:(2 yr ago)

Low End users can't afford more then $7 and If they can afford to pay more then $7 then they are rich... By LowEndAdmin

• @asterisk14 said:
    My thinking was that for $7, providers are currently offering 4GB RAM. Who needs 4GB RAM!!!!???? When LEB started that $7 probably got you proper LEB's, now that is no longer the case, therefore the limit should be lowered to comply with the LEB founding ethos.

That's by no means a universal rule. In fact, I've observed that 2GB RAM is the average "good" deal over LEB for $7. There is the occasional the odd 4GB for $7 VPS (?which is oversold).

• @joelgm said:
    That's by no means a universal rule. In fact, I've observed that 2GB RAM is the average "good" deal over LEB for $7. There is the occasional the odd 4GB for $7 VPS (?which is oversold).

Aren't they all oversold? There's a recent article on LEB comparing the 3-4 4GB plans from around 4 months ago for <$7, so probably this year we will see even more <$7 4GB plans. Even the 2GB must the oversold, maybe not to the same degree or maybe even more oversold that the 4GB plans.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Aren't they all oversold? There's a recent article on LEB comparing the 3-4 4GB plans from around 4 months ago for <$7, so probably this year we will see even more <$7 4GB plans. Even the 2GB must the oversold, maybe not to the same degree or maybe even more oversold that the 4GB plans.

I suppose so. After reading the article, I'm thinking that I might try one of those plans myself. :)

• @joelgm said:
    I suppose so. After reading the article, I'm thinking that I might try one of those plans myself. :)

I have a 4GB OverZold myself, runs great with cPanel :)

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

I dislike providers who have their only offer here at $7 just because it's MAX_LEB_PRICE.

• 7 is a good number for a base LEB, however I tend to keep sub5 offers for longer duration. When it comes to 10+/m it has to be a solid provider/rare location. For 20+/m the competition is bigger and often requires a business plan to support the purchase.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have said it should be higher in the past, that did not end well haha.

Personally I think it should be based on a price p/MB but I understand that is hard for people to wrap their head around and may not work.

I think a MUCH better way of doing it is to base it on an arbitrary item and follow that items avg price, such as a a chicken royal meal at KFC :) (Not that I eat that shit)

On a serious note, the firm $7 has caused the OpenVZ ram race, I am all for keeping it at $7 for Xen and KVM and dropping it to $4 for OpenVZ :)

But either way people need to accept that there will never be 100% agreement and this is not a democracy anyway, it does breed competition that is for sure... how healthy the competition it breads is another matter entirely.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

2014 can we see 10GB RAM for $7 ? :D

edited July 2013

and dropping it to $4 for OpenVZ

Then some will oversell and "RAM-race" to squeeze 2-3GB of RAM offers into $4, what's the difference?... Only you will get no more 4-5GB ones maybe, but is that such a huge achievement, really? I believe you should think more about this and you will agree that there is nothing wrong at all with the current $7 limit. :)

• If done right with specials for LEB/LET, you can get away with 7.00 just fine. I think the price still works well today as it did before because while the price may not change, with time you get more for your money and I think we can all be happy about that.

• They should change it $6.66. Low End Beast (LEB)

• I do like the LEB and LET coz I got many info here.
    I run DNS service, have been using dozens of LEBs, if they are going with high price, I can't afford it.

• There is the occasional the odd 4GB for $7 VPS (?which is oversold).

The nodes of the 4 European providers offering megaRAM 4GB plans are probably less oversold than the nodes of many of the providers offering lower RAM plans, and they perform as well or better than the VPS's offered by many other OpenVZ providers. The 4GB plans are usually offered on E5's with 128GB+ RAM while the the majority of lower RAM plans are usually on E3's with 32GB RAM (except for the summer hosts who are using cheap desktop hardware with Raid1 or no raid and less than 24GB RAM in many cases).

• Sooner or Later gmail accounts will come with a 2GB+ Ram VPS for free.. and then the ram race will find a new turn.. Until then.. keep idling

• @peppr said:
    Sooner or Later gmail accounts will come with a 2GB+ Ram VPS for free.. and then the ram race will find a new turn.. Until then.. keep idling

No that is never going to happen. Gmail users wouldn't know what to do with a VPS.

• @Abdussamad said:
    No that is never going to happen. Gmail users wouldn't know what to do with a VPS.

They can run their own mail server and forget they have gmail on the first place. :D